E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blew My Motor Tonight

03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Yep. Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
If your engine grenaded itself shortly after hitting a pothole you probably cracked the oil pan or damaged an oil line and suffered from oil starvation.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
If your engine grenaded itself shortly after hitting a pothole you probably cracked the oil pan or damaged an oil line and suffered from oil starvation.
This is honestly the only reasonable explanation. You can't really hit a pot hole so hard that it destroys a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
From the amount of oil that was on the road, I don't think it was oil starvation. Hence the pothole theory (read wishful thinking). It just seems like too much of a coincidence that I hit the pothole and then my motor went. I should hopefully hear back from the shop today.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
E92mech
E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport

I would document the pothole incident like crazy. Whether or not the two events are causally related is anybody's guess here, but if you have a police report and other people also reported damage from this pothole, and then you had a catastrophic failure within days after the incident, go to your insurance company and see what they say. Your insurance can, in turn, elect to go after the city. Let them try to deny compensation for the comprehensive claim if multiple people reported the road hazard and your issue occurred immediately after the incident. I'm sure your insurance would be all-too-happy to go after the city rather than pay for a new engine out of its own coffers.

We live in a litigious world. CYA. FWIW, I now drive with a dashcam.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

OP, 6 months ago I hit a pot hole on a road trip. Two tires, 3 wheels, all wheel bearings and struts, both headlights and re-sheet metal the whole engine bay (damage to struts bent the metal firewall to bumper on both sides). I had no engine damage with this $18,000 claim. Just throwing this out there I think engine failure will be a stretch considering I hit the worst of potholes lol. Granted it conditions vary and something could most definitely gone wrong to cause mass oil leaks but judging from my pothole incident I'd say the motor fairs well on extreme impacts.

Like I said before best of luck buddy.

Edit: sorry for poor grammar iPhone changed some words and too lazy to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
OP, 6 months ago I hit a pot hole on a road trip. Two tires, 3 wheels, all wheel bearings and struts, both headlights and re-sheet metal the whole engine bay (damage to struts bent the metal firewall to bumper on both sides). I had no engine damage with this $18,000 claim. Just throwing this out there I think engine failure will be a stretch considering I hit the worst of potholes lol. Granted it conditions vary and something could most definitely gone wrong to cause mass oil leaks but judging from my pothole incident I'd say the motor fairs well on extreme impacts.

Did your call fall into a canyon? That's crazy, and i've hit some serious potholes in DC. Never anything like that though.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

pls keep us updated I am so curious..
if it is the turbos, BMW extended the warranty of the turbos, so that'll cover it, and if they damaged the engien then it should be covered too.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:

Did your call fall into a canyon? That's crazy, and i've hit some serious potholes in DC. Never anything like that though.
More or less! It was longer and wider then my car and dropped 3-4" from the road height. Hit it going 80kmh (50mph). I live in Canada and on some of the back mountain roads there are serious pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
JayP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 LCI Xdrive

Quote:
More or less! It was longer and wider then my car and dropped 3-4" from the road height. Hit it going 80kmh (50mph). I live in Canada and on some of the back mountain roads there are serious pot holes.
Wow i aint calling that a pothole anymore ! Longer and wider than your car and you drove right in it ? :S

Good luck with this !
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

I just overtook another vehicle and immediately hit it after I got back into travel lane. No way to avoid it.

Sorry for thread jack OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #34
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just got off the phone with the dealership and they said that there is hole in the side of the motor. He said that it looks like the connecting rod shot through the side of cylinder 3. He said the only time he's ever seen that is with a miss shift or if the motor has taken in water, both of which didn't happen. I asked him if he could run a diagnostic on it to see what the revs were at when it went and he said that he couldn't do it. The only people that do that are the reps from BMW and that's only if they are going to cover it under warranty.

I just called the dealership back and asked if they would talk to BMW NA and see if there is anyway they will cover it under warranty. He said I should hear back tomorrow. A motor blowing at 64,000 miles just doesn't seem right to me.

Any advice on contacting BMW NA myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the replies.

Last edited by shootfirst83; 03-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: content and punctuation
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Damn that is two of these in a matter of days. Good luck getting it sorted out!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
Crazylegs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I

similar thing happened to my friend timing bolt snapped, chain jumped timing during a pull and he got screwed. bmw says they dont cover bolts and they loopholed him out of a motor... $10k later hes got a new motor and debt...

2014 BSM 335i Msport - Stock
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92mech View Post
Not true. A claim like this is made under comprehensive, which does not count against the driver like a collision claim.
I hit a pot hole and my insurance covered all the damages, my insurance rate went up. When I switched insurance there was a record of this as well. Maybe doesn't count as a collision claim but at least for me... insurance rate goes up.

Good luck OP
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #38
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you hit the pothole on the right side, maybe you damaged the oil cooler somehow? If it started leaking it could starve the engine of oil and seize a rod bearing causing it to snap and go through the block. Sucks either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335sRus
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92mech View Post
Not true. A claim like this is made under comprehensive, which does not count against the driver like a collision claim.
I hit a pot hole and my insurance covered all the damages, my insurance rate went up. When I switched insurance there was a record of this as well. Maybe doesn't count as a collision claim but at least for me... insurance rate goes up.

Good luck OP
Many factors of why insurance may have gone up. The sole fact that you switched companies could already be one reason.

Another reason is that insurers file for rate increases almost yearly and so that would and could have caused an increase.

Sorry for thread jack OP
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
If you hit the pothole on the right side, maybe you damaged the oil cooler somehow? If it started leaking it could starve the engine of oil and seize a rod bearing causing it to snap and go through the block. Sucks either way.
Very plausible.

I have a gut feeling they aren't related to be honest. You would have noticed these symptoms since you hit the hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #41
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
Very plausible.

I have a gut feeling they aren't related to be honest. You would have noticed these symptoms since you hit the hole.
Unless the failure happened when the oil thermostat opened for the first time since the damage...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #42
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Unless the failure happened when the oil thermostat opened for the first time since the damage...
How long has the OP driven the vehicle since the incident? In terms of hours driven
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #43
shootfirst83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
How long has the OP driven the vehicle since the incident? In terms of hours driven
I drove it for maybe a total of an hour. I'd say four, fifteen minute trips in town. No highway since I was worried about the tire blowing on me.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership today on whether or not BMW NA is going to help out in any way. I called my indy shop that I use and told them what happened and they were shocked. The owner of the shop said he had a very similar thing happen to a 2007 e90. If the dealership says that BMW NA isn't going to do anything, I'm going to get in touch with the regional rep. At least try to get them to split it with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #44
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
OP, what mods did you have on your car?
Appreciate 0