E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #7965
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Fortunately I live a few minutes from Cobb's tuning facility in Huntington Beach. Unfortunately, they always have a consistent 2-3 week out appointment time. Anyone have dyno proof or other info when they were OTS AP vs pro-tuned? Car runs great as it is right now, hence why I'm not in a rush.
why not go with PTF?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #7966
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
why not go with PTF?
Thought about that. Wasn't sure if having the car on a dyno in a controlled environment would be better than trying to find a stretch of clear road to do runs on. I guess the runs on open road would be more "real world" as opposed to a dyno. I think I will do some research and contact PTF.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #7967
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
SoCal the nearest station to me that I've found on the E85 website is 30 miles from me. I thought over the years there would be a lot more. I will definitely log to be sure the car is happy. Didn't understand the last part of your post the 34 comment.
Also check the Propel Fuels Website, they may show other stations for E85.

my last comment was to log your Fuel Trims with the AP. STFT (short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims) and LTFT so they don't exceed 34. If you are not running the proper tune you don't want to max out your trims. Ethanol is a lower density than regular fuel, thus takes more fuel.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #7968
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Also check the Propel Fuels Website, they may show other stations for E85.

my last comment was to log your Fuel Trims with the AP. STFT (short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims) and LTFT so they don't exceed 34. If you are not running the proper tune you don't want to max out your trims. Ethanol is a lower density than regular fuel, thus takes more fuel.
Thanks for the info. I will make sure and have the ST and LTFT logged. I will take a look at the propel site now.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #7969
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
I'm in the same situation ca 91 octane. As soon as I get done with the E30 high that I'm on right now Ill try E25-E20 with stage 2 + Fmic aggressive and see how the car does. Man I wish there were more E85 stations around .
I feel ya, there are only 2 in my area. Both are like 10-15 miles from my house. Makes getting gas pretty inconvenient when you pass like 50 gas stations on the way to get gas lol

Mine really likes the Sport tune with about E25. Since I threw that fuel pump code I'm going to lower to 2 gal per tank of E85 and see how it runs.

If your going on a road trip in AZ forget it, no E85 to be had...
      06-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #7970
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

Question Cobb maps/files on unit

Just got a Cobb device along with a ProTune by Bren Tuning last weekend. Love it!

But the unit only displays my custom tune file on it..... shouldn't there be several basic files to choose from?

i.e. stock mode, valet mode, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #7971
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
Just got a Cobb device along with a ProTune by Bren Tuning last weekend. Love it!

But the unit only displays my custom tune file on it..... shouldn't there be several basic files to choose from?

i.e. stock mode, valet mode, etc.?
Brendan just deleted the other maps off of the AP. Connect the AP to your computer and use the AP manager to transfer over whatever maps you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #7972
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Question

BMW is giving me new turbos under warranty after I complained about the loud waste gates...... Yeah!!

But I just bought a Cobb AP and had the car protuned a week ago.

Will the new turbos negate the custom protune file?
i.e. Is the protune file/map specific to the old turbos some way?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #7973
kgemz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

I have a problem and I hope someone here can help me out. My car misfires on cylinder 2 (CEL comes on) when I go WOT but only when I have Stage 1 Drive or Sport installed. When car is reverted back to stock, I cannot duplicate the problem. I tried live data monitoring and noticed that the HPFP drops to 600 when I go full throttle. Would this mean it's a HPFP failure and not coils/injectors? Recently replaced plugs at the stealership so I'm pretty sure it isn't the problem. If it is a HPFP failure, how do I get this replaced under extended warranty? I brought my car to the dealership today and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and no misfires were coming up (obviously, because I reverted back to stock before bringing it in.) How do I go about this problem?

Please take in to consideration that I'm not too handy with DIY's and don't have the tools to switch coil packs out. And I don't really trust too many shops here in El Paso, TX. Unluckily stationed here as I'm in the military. I've been scammed before by a shop here and everyone tells me to just go straight to the dealership as this city is full of notorious car shops.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

2007 E92 335i N54 47k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #7974
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
BMW is giving me new turbos under warranty after I complained about the loud waste gates...... Yeah!!

But I just bought a Cobb AP and had the car protuned a week ago.

Will the new turbos negate the custom protune file?
i.e. Is the protune file/map specific to the old turbos some way?
It's quite possible that your car will be stronger with the new turbos. I would discuss a path forward with whoever protuned your car. If you send them logs they will likely optimize your protune even further via etune. With any major hardware change like that you should send him logs... Because yes your car was protuned based on the performance of the previous hardware.

Last edited by sickem; 06-28-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #7975
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgemz View Post
I have a problem and I hope someone here can help me out. My car misfires on cylinder 2 (CEL comes on) when I go WOT but only when I have Stage 1 Drive or Sport installed. When car is reverted back to stock, I cannot duplicate the problem. I tried live data monitoring and noticed that the HPFP drops to 600 when I go full throttle. Would this mean it's a HPFP failure and not coils/injectors? Recently replaced plugs at the stealership so I'm pretty sure it isn't the problem. If it is a HPFP failure, how do I get this replaced under extended warranty? I brought my car to the dealership today and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and no misfires were coming up (obviously, because I reverted back to stock before bringing it in.) How do I go about this problem?

Please take in to consideration that I'm not too handy with DIY's and don't have the tools to switch coil packs out. And I don't really trust too many shops here in El Paso, TX. Unluckily stationed here as I'm in the military. I've been scammed before by a shop here and everyone tells me to just go straight to the dealership as this city is full of notorious car shops.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

2007 E92 335i N54 47k miles
Doesnt sound like hpfp, its too specific to the one cylinder. Try switching coil with another cylinder and see if misfire moves (this is very easy to do). If not, could be injector. As an aside, my brother was stationed at ft bliss, a marine officer part of JTFN. He had a buddy who had an M3 down there so ill ask him if he knows a reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #7976
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
It's quite possible that your car will be stronger with the new turbos. I would discuss a path forward with whoever protuned your car. If you send them logs they will likely optimize your protune even further via etune. With any major hardware change like that you should send him logs... Because yes your car was protuned based on the performance of the previous hardware.
This. Depending on the condition of the old turbos then you will likely encounter over boosting and throttle closures.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #7977
kgemz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Doesnt sound like hpfp, its too specific to the one cylinder. Try switching coil with another cylinder and see if misfire moves (this is very easy to do). If not, could be injector. As an aside, my brother was stationed at ft bliss, a marine officer part of JTFN. He had a buddy who had an M3 down there so ill ask him if he knows a reputable shop.
Thanks, really appreciate it and please do let me know if you ever find out of any reputable shops.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #7978
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgemz View Post
Thanks, really appreciate it and please do let me know if you ever find out of any reputable shops.
Will do. My brother emailed the guy last night so ill pm you when I get the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #7979
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
This. Depending on the condition of the old turbos then you will likely encounter over boosting and throttle closures.
this doesn't sound good..... should I even re-install the map after getting the car back from BMW?

My plan was to re-install the protune map, drive it for a day or two, and then go by Bren Tuning to share the logs with him.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #7980
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #7981
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
this doesn't sound good..... should I even re-install the map after getting the car back from BMW?

My plan was to re-install the protune map, drive it for a day or two, and then go by Bren Tuning to share the logs with him.
You'll be fine. Install, drive, log. Nothing can be bad with new turbos. May just need a little adjustment in the WGDC tables.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #7982
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
You'll be fine. Install, drive, log. Nothing can be bad with new turbos. May just need a little adjustment in the WGDC tables.
kewl.... thanks dude.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #7983
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Like Vneblob said, you'll be ok. Just be sure to get Bren to look at it sooner rather than later. Your engine is in no danger but drivability may suffer and the car won't be fun to drive.
      06-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #7984
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Hi, could anybody please check my log to see if all is good? I was trying to attach it and it fails to do that. Would anybody mind if I email to them? Thank you
      06-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #7985
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
Hi, could anybody please check my log to see if all is good? I was trying to attach it and it fails to do that. Would anybody mind if I email to them? Thank you
Just create a zip folder and then move a copy of the log into the folder and then attach it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #7986
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
When installing/switching maps should I buy a battery charger? My cobb comes in Tuesday and I can't seem to find a concrete answer if you should use the battery charger or not... If so, can anyone recommend a good one for $50?
Appreciate 0