E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #8185
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by D25mn
Seem to be pulling these codes after about 50 miles of driving now: P0171- Bank 1 lean, P29E0- Fuel Mixture.

The car is a 335is, with 39k, spark plugs changed, fuel injectors 4 & 6 replaced, charge pipe replaced, LPFP sensor changed, LPFP tested and still good.

Running Stage 2+ Aggressive.

BMS DCI, ETS intercooler, ETS Catless DPs.

First instinct is O2 sensors are swapped in the DPs, I had previously once every 3-5k miles received the lamba circuit SES code.
Are you running strictly pump gas? Any fuel additives, ethanol, race gas etc?
      09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #8186
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D25mn View Post
Seem to be pulling these codes after about 50 miles of driving now: P0171- Bank 1 lean, P29E0- Fuel Mixture.

The car is a 335is, with 39k, spark plugs changed, fuel injectors 4 & 6 replaced, charge pipe replaced, LPFP sensor changed, LPFP tested and still good.

First instinct is O2 sensors are swapped in the DPs, I had previously once every 3-5k miles received the lamba circuit SES code.
I just experienced the exact same problem with Bank 2, but I'm running stage 1+ as I put my DP's back on. Well, my exact mods are:

Stett CAI, ER FMIC, and I put the DP's back on for my emmission test. Car was running fine for a few months and under light load, I got the SES light on with similar codes. I uninstalled Cobb and cleared ECU, codes popped up again. I kept the tune off the car and brought it back to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car, cleared the codes and reflashed the car. I just got it back this morning and drove it around a bit, no codes yet.

I'm running pump gas, 93 octane. This is strange because I'm noticing a few other threads where people are getting these codes now as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #8187
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
I just experienced the exact same problem with Bank 2, but I'm running stage 1+ as I put my DP's back on. Well, my exact mods are:

Stett CAI, ER FMIC, and I put the DP's back on for my emmission test. Car was running fine for a few months and under light load, I got the SES light on with similar codes. I uninstalled Cobb and cleared ECU, codes popped up again. I kept the tune off the car and brought it back to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car, cleared the codes and reflashed the car. I just got it back this morning and drove it around a bit, no codes yet.

I'm running pump gas, 93 octane. This is strange because I'm noticing a few other threads where people are getting these codes now as well.
this happens to me from time to time...for me it's bank 1. happened to me this am as a matter of fact...it's odd because I datalog and the car is running fine from a fueling perspective. Others on here have this issue too and I haven't heard of a root cause to this point. I was running an E40 mixture last week but I dwindled it down, filled up with 93 and was running a pump gas map then back to stock for a dealer visit.
      09-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #8188
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:

Hey there, I had the same issue you had, it took my tech guy a week to figure this out (he was busy with other cars as well) but in the end it was changing out all 6 fuel injectors that resolved the issue. Let me know if it works for you as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #8189
UMich_335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Stage 1+ Packaged Ordered

Just ordered my Stage 1+ package with v3 AP from Aaron at Cobb today, can't wait for the delivery!! Too bad its on backorder right now, helps justify the decision that many others are making the purchase as well.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #8190
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMich_335i View Post
Just ordered my Stage 1+ package with v3 AP from Aaron at Cobb today, can't wait for the delivery!! Too bad its on backorder right now, helps justify the decision that many others are making the purchase as well.

Congrats! That intercooler looks really nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #8191
sofresh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMich_335i View Post

nice, I am too awaiting delivery of the v3 AP. I feel like xmas is coming early
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #8192
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

With the V3 having the ability to log and monitor and read codes and all that it does, is there any reason to have a BT Scan cable ?
If you only have access to 91 octane what kind of increases can be expected on a stock motor with no mods at all? If you were going to add one mod to the engine/exhaust, which would be the most bang for the buck when used with Cobb?
      09-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #8193
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
With the V3 having the ability to log and monitor and read codes and all that it does, is there any reason to have a BT Scan cable ?
If you only have access to 91 octane what kind of increases can be expected on a stock motor with no mods at all? If you were going to add one mod to the engine/exhaust, which would be the most bang for the buck when used with Cobb?
These topics have been covered extensively, do some searching. In terms of bang for buck, downpipes are going to provide the largest power delta after a tune. Personally I’d go with a better intercooler in Arizona before downpipes.

With 91 octane you probably won’t be able to run any of the “aggressive” maps, so you’ll be pretty limited to be honest. Still a noticeable delta from stock, but the lack of octane is a killer. Do you have any means of getting E-85? Meth would do wonders for an Arizona car running 91 octane.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #8194
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Read the website and do your home work. Your best bet is stage 1+ and buying a fmic.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #8195
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I have been reading and I was trying to be sure I was understanding what I read. The information is not always crystal clear and I wanted to clarify it before possibly buying the wrong thing.
In Audis the VCDS cable reads codes, data logs and allows you to change the cars programming such as DRL settings, engine settings, alarms, window, etc. I forgot that you could not do that with BT Scan tool and needed to have someone code it for you. So given the cobb v3 logs and reads codes I don't see the reason for BTScan. If I am missing something please let me know.
We can get 100 octane racing fuel but at $7.00 a gallon and there are maybe two gas stations within 30 miles that sell it.
I had 2 other 335 coupes. One was running Dinan Stage 2 without an intercooler but had the second factory oil cooler and did not have any issue with temps or cooling.(the other was a Dinan s3 but it did have the intercooler).
On my TT RS the downpipes gave better results than cat back exhaust and I guess that is true for the 335 too.
I am trying to decide if given the fact that I am limited to 91 octane and there fore limited to the maps I can run, is the Cobb v3 worth it or should I be looking at something else?
      09-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #8196
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have been reading and I was trying to be sure I was understanding what I read. The information is not always crystal clear and I wanted to clarify it before possibly buying the wrong thing.
In Audis the VCDS cable reads codes, data logs and allows you to change the cars programming such as DRL settings, engine settings, alarms, window, etc. I forgot that you could not do that with BT Scan tool and needed to have someone code it for you. So given the cobb v3 logs and reads codes I don't see the reason for BTScan. If I am missing something please let me know.
We can get 100 octane racing fuel but at $7.00 a gallon and there are maybe two gas stations within 30 miles that sell it.
I had 2 other 335 coupes. One was running Dinan Stage 2 without an intercooler but had the second factory oil cooler and did not have any issue with temps or cooling.(the other was a Dinan s3 but it did have the intercooler).
On my TT RS the downpipes gave better results than cat back exhaust and I guess that is true for the 335 too.
I am trying to decide if given the fact that I am limited to 91 octane and there fore limited to the maps I can run, is the Cobb v3 worth it or should I be looking at something else?
Sorry i am lazy and didn't read the whole thread. Do you have access to E85? And COBB is very reputable, I don't think you will be disappointed. ProTuning available as well.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #8197
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you’re limited on the octane front, none of the tunes are going to be dramatically better than the other. You just won’t be able to target the type of boost, load, timing, etc that really opens things up on the tuning side. Yes, if you are satisfied w/ logging and code reading, no reason to buy a BT cable. Any E85 near you? Race gas is annoying and costly, E85 is much more accessible and user friendly.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #8198
TerpEvo
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

So I couldn't find any troubleshooting for this anywhere online. Gave a call to cobb, and after waiting 20 min was kicked to voicemail and left one. Had my hopes up that I'd get in before their 6pm closing time. Guess not.

My problem: Just got a new cobb V3 ap. Never had a tune or anything else ever installed on the car. Plugged my OBD2 in, connected to AP turned car to ON and nothing. Cobb/Screen won't turn on. No beep or screen change. Then brought the AP inside and hooked it up with the USB to the computer. Let it sit for a while thinking it needed to charge. Still no screen action. Downloaded AP Manager. It detects the unit and ID's the serial number just fine. Screen still won't turn on.

Anyone ever had a problem like this? I can't think of anything to remedy it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #8199
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpEvo View Post
So I couldn't find any troubleshooting for this anywhere online. Gave a call to cobb, and after waiting 20 min was kicked to voicemail and left one. Had my hopes up that I'd get in before their 6pm closing time. Guess not.

My problem: Just got a new cobb V3 ap. Never had a tune or anything else ever installed on the car. Plugged my OBD2 in, connected to AP turned car to ON and nothing. Cobb/Screen won't turn on. No beep or screen change. Then brought the AP inside and hooked it up with the USB to the computer. Let it sit for a while thinking it needed to charge. Still no screen action. Downloaded AP Manager. It detects the unit and ID's the serial number just fine. Screen still won't turn on.

Anyone ever had a problem like this? I can't think of anything to remedy it. Thanks.
Well with the v3 I would think its too early to tell. Be sure to inspect your OBDII pins and COBB pins. Make sure none are bent or broken. But based on the screen not turning on with the USB, I may say you have a faulty unit.

i know once you plug in the COBB to the OBDII it should turn on at least. Find Josh on this forum and send him a PM or try COBB's forum. post back with results.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #8200
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Unless you live in Alaska, your first mods should be intake and FMIC for Stage 1+. Better than Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #8201
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Have to look into the E85. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
      09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #8202
Quisp
United_States
Rep

well, there are some e85 stations around(within 15 miles). Never used this stuff before, go with an empty tank, mix it with 91 or ?
Thanks
      09-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #8203
D25mn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
Hey there, I had the same issue you had, it took my tech guy a week to figure this out (he was busy with other cars as well) but in the end it was changing out all 6 fuel injectors that resolved the issue. Let me know if it works for you as well.
All six fuel injectors? Wow, with my mods I'm thinking I need to find a open tech that will know the issue and go straight for it. My local one is pretty good, but I would need to have them overlook the downpipes and intakes unless the tech has seen these codes before.

Wouldn't the injector cycle show the fuel injectors failing? Cold Start has been pretty bad lately so thats usually a sign of leaky fuel injector.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #8204
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
All six fuel injectors? Wow, with my mods I'm thinking I need to find a open tech that will know the issue and go straight for it. My local one is pretty good, but I would need to have them overlook the downpipes and intakes unless the tech has seen these codes before.

Wouldn't the injector cycle show the fuel injectors failing? Cold Start has been pretty bad lately so thats usually a sign of leaky fuel injector.
The lean codes means not getting enough fuel. So fuel injector issue makes sense. Trust me I ran with those same exact codes you had for long time, after the fuel injectors done, no more codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #8205
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Cobb AP Stuck on "Do NOT Disconnect" screen .(it's not the v3 cobb)
It sat there waiting for it to reboot after updating the firmware - then it never rebooted.
Now the AP itself only shows that screen "do not disconnect" i can't get it to show otherwise. Any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #8206
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, there are some e85 stations around(within 15 miles). Never used this stuff before, go with an empty tank, mix it with 91 or ?
Thanks
Go with an empty tank and fill with 4 gallons of E85, that should get you in the range of E20-E25 total. This will provide strong knock protection, lower in-cylinder combustion temps, kick up the octane…just good stuff all around. But it's a low enough % to run all day every day without taxing the fueling system a ton. That should mitigate the crap 91 octane you'd have to use otherwise. Corn fuel isn't magic, but it's damn close. So many benefits, and fingers crossed our fuel systems have played nice with it as a general matter.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0