E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Help with launching the car

10-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
ZillyZill
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Help with launching the car

Hey all. I took my 335 to the track today for the first time and I feel like I did fairly well. However, I think the car has more in it I just can't get out of the hole good enough. I was trying to launch in 2nd with traction control off at about 1500rpm. It seemed like it wanted to shift in to 1st every time. The one time it didn't the results weren't really better. I've attached the best time slip I got. Every run was pretty much within .1 in the 60' and ET. MPH was 112 for every run except this one. It was the 12.8 @ 111 if you couldn't guess. If any one can help I'd appreciate it.

Any how here's the mod list..
VRSF 5" intercooler
VRSF DP
MHD with E40 map (running E40)
Alpina transmission flash
I'm running stock run flats and had 3/4 tank of gas.

I have the MMP relocation inlets, I plan to install them this week or next week.

For some reason the picture doesn't show up. The link is
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

Not to offend or anything because I don?t know how familiar you are with it, but are you perhaps hitting the kickdown when launching? Disable kickdown in mhd if you haven?t done so.
      10-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd View Post
Not to offend or anything because I don?t know how familiar you are with it, but are you perhaps hitting the kickdown when launching? Disable kickdown in mhd if you haven?t done so.
Im thinking this is what the OP is doing.

Put it in 2nd, hold break with left foot, hit desired rmp (I launch at 1800). let go of break and quickly ease into gas.
dont put your foot through the floor and hit the kickdown.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Like the others are saying, sounds like you're hitting kick down, disable this in MHD.

A friend of mine (right?) was running the OTS E40 map on slicks and cut some 11.6x/11.7x runs so you have plenty of room to cut time. This same guy is the one who told me launch in first. He also now launches in 2nd since he has PS2's and should break 10's soon.

My $0.02 and Im sure people will jump just shit on me here so take it with a grain of salt
  1. My first piece of advice, if you're on stock turbos, learn to launch in first. I cut about 4/10ths off my 1/4 mile time by learning to launch properly from 1st rather than 2nd gear and there is no reason you cant cut 1.8's on run flats. I went from consistent 12.4x - 12.8x runs to consistent 12.1x - 12.5x runs by launching in first with no other change (to each their own)
  2. Let some air out of the tires. Try letting just 3 or 4 psi out, then more if they're not hooking the way you want
  3. Try doing a burnout in the waterbox, its actually your friend, dont be scared

Here is my sequence when I line up
  • enter the water box
  • release brake pressure just enough to hold the car but BARELY
  • manually shift car into second
  • when the track attendant gives me the nod I give it about 65-75% pedal and watch the rpms, try to keep it around 5500 till the ass kicks out a little (2 or 3 seconds) then EASE off the brakes while slowly letting off the gas or the car shakes violently
  • shift car back to M1
  • stage at the first beam
  • stage second beam
  • firmly hold brake pedal
  • raise RPM's to around 1800
  • on third yellow (wait till you actually see the third yellow lit up) floor gas and release brake
  • shift to M2 around 4500 rpms (you may not need to do this, I do this because I lose traction in first around 5000rpms)
  • shift to M3 around 6500rpms
  • shift to M4 around 6200 rpms
  • shift to M5 around 5800 rpms (if you havent crossed finish line already)

I'm getting consistent 11.8x and 11.9x runs with 1.7x and 1.8x 60ft's on an all season tire (265/35/18).

Make sure you're logging your runs. You could be heat soaked and not even realize it. I've had some REALLY bad runs, like a 13.0x run because of a little heat soak and a heavy foot.

How are you 'measuring' your ethanol? Each station varies and if you dont have a tester kit or analyzer guessing or using a calculator may not be enough.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt. Try different things. You have to learn the way YOU drive and what makes YOU feel good about your runs.

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 2
joeinsd288.00