E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Eibach Pros on an Msport.... Waste of money

07-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #67
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

To be honest I'd be pushing back on Eibach and\or the supplier that they haven't lowered the car to the level that you were led to believe and try to get them to swap them for the sportsline kit instead, even if it was just to waive the fitting cost.

Your obviously not 100% satisfied with results and it's at times like this were I'd expect any supplier worth their salt to try help out the customer as much as possible. I was considering getting mine done at M-style too but I'm not sure I'll go there now on this result.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #68
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
We have also had a report from a poster who changed the springs on his 335d which I beleive is one of the heaviest engine\drivetrain configurations and there was still no change in ride height so if what you say is true about inconsitency, thats rather worrying.

PS What does the Birds setup consist of, just springs or springs and dampers?
The basic Birds kit is springs (made by eibach to birds spec) and Bilstein B6 dampers modified at Bilstein in the UK to Birds own damping curve specifications.

Read it and weep.

Mine was the first tourer to be fitted with the birds kit and the first set of rear springs were made wrong by eibach and the car sat on its arse big time. It was actually 30mm lower which looked completely ridiculous, 5-10 drop is ample at the rear, but 5mm is hard to spot without measuring.

The second set were spot on.

At all stages Birds insisted that I took before and after measurements from wheel centre to arch lip (when parked on dead flat surface) for reference. Without those figures you've got idea where you are.

Last edited by doughboy; 07-18-2012 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #69
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
To be honest I'd be pushing back on Eibach and\or the supplier that they haven't lowered the car to the level that you were led to believe and try to get them to swap them for the sportsline kit instead, even if it was just to waive the fitting cost.

Your obviously not 100% satisfied with results and it's at times like this were I'd expect any supplier worth their salt to try help out the customer as much as possible. I was considering getting mine done at M-style too but I'm not sure I'll go there now on this result.
Are M Style to be blamed here though? Eibach are saying "thats what it said on the tin"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #70
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Are M Style to be blamed here though? Eibach are saying "thats what it said on the tin"
I'd agree,it's not M Styles fault that the product does not live up to it's claims.
However,it's still possible that the car will settle some more,my H&R's (previous car) took a couple of weeks until they found their true level.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #71
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
I suppose if you follow that to the letter than yes but if the OP clearly stated to the supplier that he wanted the kit to specifically reduce the wheel arch gap and it didn't then I'd expect them to at least offer to help in terms of good will\customer service. Surely they should have had the experience at least to advise him before he'd spent his hard earned on what the best option would be for his particular requirements

I was at M-stlye a few weeks ago enquiring about exactly the same thing i.e. my specific requirements being that I want the car to be lower and was also recommend the Eibach Pro kit. If I'd had it done followin that advice and this was the result, I'd expect something to be done about it. Too many times we just take the hit in this country, if you read the Yank forum you'll see they expect and get much better customer service over there because they aren't prepared to accept anything less.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #72
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Quote:

Does this also mean that those of us who have achieved a decent drop with Eibachs have just been lucky?

Can you get any more side on pics of the car on a totally flat surface, wheels pointing dead ahead? stand back a bit and hold the camera at a height where the roof is totally flat at that level (i.e. not looking down on the car or up at it, but square on). That would give us a real indication of the overall effect - I'm just curious is all.
I will get some pics as soon as it stops raining! I think the drop is engine dependent. There are a whole range of springs out there for the E92 alone and vary per engine size!

Quote:

When I spoke with M-style their response was "we've fitted the ones that you've asked for and we've ordered the right ones for your car". When I did speak to them first, they were very pro-active about eibach springs suggesting a lot of their customers go for that option.

I did bring my car in infact to be told to expect something between 10-20mm drop on an M-sport.

I know I should have checked with Eibach first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd agree,it's not M Styles fault that the product does not live up to it's claims.
However,it's still possible that the car will settle some more,my H&R's (previous car) took a couple of weeks until they found their true level.
Fingers crossed!

Quote:
I suppose if you follow that to the letter than yes but if the OP clearly stated to the supplier that he wanted the kit to specifically reduce the wheel arch gap and it didn't then I'd expect them to at least offer to help in terms of good will\customer service. Surely they should have had the experience at least to advise him before he'd spent his hard earned on what the best option would be for his particular requirements

I was at M-stlye a few weeks ago enquiring about exactly the same thing i.e. my specific requirements being that I want the car to be lower and was also recommend the Eibach Pro kit. If I'd had it done followin that advice and this was the result, I'd expect something to be done about it. Too many times we just take the hit in this country, if you read the Yank forum you'll see they expect and get much better customer service over there because they aren't prepared to accept anything less.
What would you do in my situation? Do you think they would rectify the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #73
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SH View Post
SO I would recommend that in the future, you call Eibach springs (01455 285850) and confirm with them how much drop you'd get first!

Very clever people sitting there.
Although I ordered my sportline kit, but just for fun when I contacted these, no obvious answer. Here is what he said;

'We do not know that with M-sports suspension, how much is your car already lowered, so we cannot give you exact figures'

I have asked if he can get my car details on computer and calculate. He clearly said that he does not have access to those details (car).

I honestly think, their staff need proper technical training....disappointing if you can tell how much customer should expet the difference in drop.

Last edited by makkan00; 07-18-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #74
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Wow, I'm pretty shocked.

Although what does this mean then - that if your car was an SE it would have started off 30mm higher than it is now? So it would be at 17.5cm - Anyone with an SE coupe able to check this?.
I don't see where Eibach are messing up, if 14.5cm is the settled ride height.

I've just popped out and measured my touring on SE suspension and although not on perfectly flat ground the front is showing 17.5cm average. I'd say my car looks the same as other SE suspensions I've noted.

Before some of you guys laugh on the ride height... I've seen the lowered cars knocking their front bumpers on our local carpark kerbing... function over form for me. AND this.

So if the OP has the correct ride height, the original springs appear to be running a lower height than factory specification I'd say.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #75
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So if the OP has the correct ride height, the original springs appear to be running a lower height than factory specification I'd say.

HighlandPete
Thing is I still have 4.5-5cm arch gap from the top of the tyre to the arch. Prior to this my arch gap was probably 5cm. I have probably had approx 2-3mm drop

The whole reason I got Eibachs was to reduce that arch gap.

IF I had known prior to the drop to expect "14.5cm" from centre of wheel to arch ... I would have kept my £344.42 and spent them on H&R or Eibach Sportsline springs!

Thats the most annoying part. I can't really fault M-style as they were going with Eibach's figures and whats on the tin!

Eibach do state that if you have a BMW E92 320i - expect 30-35mm.... and IF YOU HAVE SPORTS SUSPENSION expect a lower reduction in ride height.....

When they say a lower reduction in ride height, I didnt think they meant by 3mm
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #76
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow, if the OP was on M-sport to factory spec' the Eibach will have dropped the car, seems from the new dimension it has. It is reading the Eibach 'projected' figure, from how I'm reading the latest comments.

Did anyone measure the existing ride height? If not then the new ride height is/was just guessing what it would be.

First rule of changing anything, get a baseline to work from, calculate changes and measure results.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #77
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Very clever people sitting there.
Although I ordered my sportline kit, but just for fun when I contacted these, no obvious answer. Here is what he said;

'We do not know that with M-sports suspension, how much is your car already lowered, so we cannot give you exact figures'

I have asked if he can get my car details on computer and calculate. He clearly said that he does not have access to those details (car).

I honestly think, their staff need proper technical training....disappointing if you can tell how much customer should expet the difference in drop.
That's really snakey of them mate!

When I quoted the 14.5cm, they guy at the other end was like, "Oh yeh its exactly what it says on my system"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #78
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow, if the OP was on M-sport to factory spec' the Eibach will have dropped the car, seems from the new dimension it has. It is reading the Eibach 'projected' figure, from how I'm reading the latest comments.

Did anyone measure the existing ride height? If not then the new ride height is/was just guessing what it would be.

First rule of changing anything, get a baseline to work from, calculate changes and measure results.

HighlandPete
True, in hindsight I wish I did. But even looking from pictures and visibly, There has been absolutely little difference. I will take more pictures as soon as it clears up outside!

I have a tonne of side on pics on flat ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #79
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
When they say a lower reduction in ride height, I didnt think they meant by 3mm
But they did mean 30mm from standard ride height. So allowing for the M-sport height you must have dropped more than 3mm to be at 14.5cm. OR you were already lower than the M-sport ride heght. Can't be both ways.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #80
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
The only problem I can see,and is probably why you get differing heights from some cars to other cars,is that Eibach are only using two particular springs (pro kit).

For the 335D/i and the 330D/325D the front axle load is 990kg.
Part number E10-20-014-13-22

For the 330i/325i/320D and 320i the front axle load is 930kg.
Part number PN-E10-20-014-12-22

It can't possibly be the case (and no I won't check) that the cars in the two differing groups all weigh the same across the front axle,hence the different ride heights between for example the 335D and 325D.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #81
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But they did mean 30mm from standard ride height. So allowing for the M-sport height you must have dropped more than 3mm to be at 14.5cm. OR you were already lower than the M-sport ride heght. Can't be both ways.

HighlandPete
Either way, moral of the story is:

If you have a BMW 3 series M sport, E92, Confirm with Eibach to see if your car gets the necessary drop to reduce the arch gap from a stock M-sport.

My car had exactly the same arch gap as other E92 M sports prior to lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #82
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
The only problem I can see,and is probably why you get differing heights from some cars to other cars,is that Eibach are only using two particular springs (pro kit).

It can't possibly be the case (and no I won't check) that the cars in the two differing groups all weigh the same across the front axle,hence the different ride heights between for example the 335D and 325D.
I think this is the issue, as there is at least 50kg front axle weight difference from 320i to 330i, using the same Eibach spring.

Also the 14.5cm figure (if really on Eibach's database) can only apply to one model specification for a given spring.

BTW, what is the accepted OEM M-sport ride height, when measured wheel arch to wheel centre?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #83
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

In other words just buy coilovers unlimited adjustability :P
      07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #84
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFCAIDS View Post
In other words just buy coilovers unlimited adjustability :P
True!

If only I had £1000 lying around!

Whatever my next car is, unless it doesn't come lowered, i'm going coilover route!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #85
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Are you mad! Weitech GT's are £608 on the net from the UK thats what Im getting.
      07-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #86
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFCAIDS View Post
Are you mad! Weitech GT's are £608 on the net from the UK thats what Im getting.
Ohh sweet! Mate you've got to put up pics when you get them on!

Mate I'm probably going to go with KW's. Ive heard nothing but good things about them! In my mind they seem like the top dog of the coilover world! (I could obviously be wrong)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #87
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Ohh sweet! Mate you've got to put up pics when you get them on!

Mate I'm probably going to go with KW's. Ive heard nothing but good things about them! In my mind they seem like the top dog of the coilover world! (I could obviously be wrong)
Weitech's are a good mid range brand and so are BC BR Racing Coilovers for almost the same price tage £600ish... KWs are obviously very good but if you don't intend on racing etc then throwing £1200 + Fitting would truly be an overkill.. go for a mid range brank like BC / Weitechs etc - get the stance you're after and the handling and also save your self the extra cash for something else.... anyways, that's what I'd do if I was (and am!) strapped for cash lol - unless you're going to compete in shows or tracks, paying KW price tag for just a drop and handling increase is a bit much IMHO but it's always each to their own so no flamethrowers here
      07-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #88
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I just got some AC Schnitzer springs fitted to my 320D SE. Looks a lot nicer and handles so much better. How are these springs comparable to the Eibach Pro Kit?

I think the ACS springs are made by Eibach, but to the specs/parameters set by ACS.
Appreciate 0