E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > I have some unexpected HUD warnings...

10-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I have some unexpected HUD warnings...

First of all, i'm out of warranty. I drive a 2006 325i with 65,500k miles. I can't really afford to go to a dealership and hand out hundreds of $$ to get things fixed when it's most likely a minor issue...

I managed to clear my "Service Engine Soon" light (as displayed in the pics below) but my brake light is still baffling me... my e-brake is obviously not engaged but the light won't go away... i keep thinking it's my car's way of telling me my brakes(or brake pads) need to be changed... not sure exactly. (my Bentley Publisher's Repair Manual doesn't specify anything but the E-Brake being engaged)

The seatbelt and airbag warning lights are due to a faulty monitor underneath the passenger's seat (as i read from my Bentley Publisher's RM)... this will get fixed at a later date, ignore these for now...

Here's the lowdown on what i've got:
1. Whenever i start my car, i get the "Lift" warning followed by all of my warning lights on the HUD.
When i get the "Lift" warning, it is shown in RED:

2. When i ACC the car and hit the start/stop button (without ignition), hold the odometer button (to access the maintenance menu), the "Lift" warning is not shown in red, but in ORANGE like everything else that's running correctly:

3. When i scroll through the maintenance options, the only thing that stands out is this; which is shown in my HUD as YELLOW, but it obviously doesn't look like it pertains to brakes:

the "BRAKE" warning is a constant warning... throughout the maintenance check or while actively driving and i've tried engaging my E-Brake multiple times to try and make the warning go away...

I've held the BC button down on the warning and i get CC-ID 71 ... which is brake pad related... so again, i'm thinking it's my car telling me to get new pads... is this true?

**UPDATE: did some research... could this be a faulty sensor on the brake pads? (i haven't had the pads replaced since i got the car, but then again, i haven't put but 4,000 miles on the car since i had it)... maybe get new pads and see if it goes away? ^__^
any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Edluver
Rep
Drives: '06 330Xi

Dude, You need new brake pads - in the rear it looks like but I'm surprised the warning for the front brakes didn't come on. At the very least you need a new brake pad wear sensor - they're about $20 a piece - one for the front and one for the rear. Your owners manual gives you a definition for each of these symbols.
Appreciate 0