E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Long Weekend Detail

09-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
SilverEmu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Car

Long Weekend Detail

Buddy of mine and me decided to try our hand at swirl removal. So after a little bit of reading, we decided on:
- Menzerna SI1500 on Orange pads
- Menzerna SF4500 on Black pads
- Menzerna PowerLock Sealant (2 coats) on BMW
- Menzerna PowerLock Sealant (1 coat) + Sonax Nano Wax on Infiniti (we could not wait the required 3 hours between coats and decided on the Sonax for the extra protection)

The results are great, and even if not everything is fully corrected, we are quite happy .

One picture posted here. If more are required, we'll be happy to oblige.

And yes, we know, the tires still need some attention .
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

why 2 threads? post up some before and after to see what progress you made =)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
SilverEmu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Car

Just wanted to keep the pictures in the dedicated section, as they are not exactly the pro detailing stuff (close ups, proper light and so on)...

We did not take "before" pictures...the cars are just daily commuters and the paint reflected the daily grind - nothing unusual. We generally aim to manually wash using the proper technique, but sometimes they see the automated car washes - and the paint showed just that.

What I've noticed, during this exercise:
- the swirls are pretty much gone, (no, no Brinkmann, just checked in the sunlight from various angles and with the working light that we had during the job). The deeper scratches are still present but they don't look as bad as before.
- the paint on the Infiniti seems much softer, as it responds much better/faster to polishing. My Ruby Black gave me a harder time.
- The SI1500 is quite the duster, but it does a nice job with the orange pad. On the other hand, the SF4500 on the black pad is a pleasure to work with and the results are pretty rewarding.
- The 6.5" pads are not my favorites - good coverage, but they bog the machine down faster and are not that easy to work with, unless you are doing large, flat surfaces. The 5.5" size seems to be a better compromise.
- After the polish we did not wash the cars, we just dusted all the residue and sealed. Wrong?
- The PowerLock sealant is just a breeze to work with.
Appreciate 0