E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 gear dependent boost control!

12-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
prelude2perfect
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 and 2015 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
You mean Terry and Shiv?

On this, I wonder how the JB4 knows if you are running LSD or not?

Nevertheless, probably a real benefit on the street, especially on harder (higher UTQG rated) tires.
Why would it need to know if it has LSD or not? Boost by gear is something you set and tell the JB4 how much less boost you want to run in 1st and 2nd gear. No need for it to know if the car has LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #24
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The value populates for manuals also! Not sure of the mechanics of how that works though.
RPM / Speed gives a value. Each gear will have its value range.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
fd94
SoFlo BMW
Rep
Drives: Luxury Power!

Ok soooo when is it gonna be released??
      12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Hopefully I'll try this tonight
      12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #27
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd94 View Post
Ok soooo when is it gonna be released??
when i have snow on the ground and you have sun in the sky lol.

i miss FL

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Why not add ignition timing? It seems like that is the only thing missing.
Oh no... here we go....

If you run the right amount of boost and the right amount of octane than you will never have to worry about your timing, BMW takes care of it for you.

unless you get a bad tank of gas, or bad meth.

I am confident that BMS knows how to correct timing, I think in incorporating it there is a matter of pride at stake and they have held firm on their position for some time that messing with timing is not a good idea. This is what they said about Can interface as well so I say give it some time and we will see this feature in the next year.
      12-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #29
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The value populates for manuals also! Not sure of the mechanics of how that works though. Check with BMS on that. I did send Terry some logs last night from my 6MT car but was too busy to follow up and it was snowing out so not sure how good/helpful the logs were.

Mike
On Auto.... the BT cable & feature I use to log timing on jb3 allows me to look at the gear I am in. It helps me to find where i want to start and finish charting data so I am sure that Can feature can grab it as well.
      12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #30
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Wait - BMS officially said its better NOT to touch timing?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #31
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
I have several emails from the guys over there that say if your timing is off then your running too much boost or not enough octane. So officially, I don't know what kind of response you would get from them today. I have dialed in my timing so well on the JB3 with the CMGS and even a Labonte Progressive controller and so I am over it.

Do I desire timing correction, yes... why because I've read that it keeps your timing spot on. My timing is spot on so......... yeah there you go.

I have a suggestion for the guys at BMS and it would be a way to gradually transition over to timing control but for some reason they hate it when Im right but here goes.....

Now that JB4 monitors timings for us in real time (this is when I feel the safest, when i know what my ignition looks like in each gear, on each run) can we tell the JB4 to map down, like we do on the meth control set up... or actually it maps up when flow is AOK, so however it could be best implemented, Not have the timing change... but have a map made available automatically when the the timing is between x and y during particular gears at particular rpms.

This way, we don't really hijack BMWs safety measures but use them to select the proper map for us given the bad tank of gas we just filled up with, or if the windshield fluid we picked up is 70/30 instead of 50/50

EX. I am running on map 10 for a 1/4mile and half way down the track DME records its second KR event and so does JB4. Now I finish the run on map 7 (2psi) short of the map 10 threshold and add a shot of pure meth to the tank, or whatever your ritual may be when a log comes up rittled with KR events. This way less damage is done, adjustments can be made, the car finishes its run at the safest, highest map its capable of, and then trouble shooting methods can be evaluated easily as well as tuners adjust meth controller settings, meth mix %s, nozzles size and location.
      12-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #32
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
No, you are just dealing with an idiot who BMS banned from their site. This is the guy who told everyone his car runs faster on Map 9 without meth than on, uses eBay parts and ghetto fabbed parts from Autozone (or similar) because he is either too cheap or too poor to do things correctly.

You are dealing with someone who complains about KR events on his meth setup yet he runs Windshield Washer fluid and Heet through his system instead of methanol and distilled water and curiously omits that fact. There is plenty of good advice on this board, but if you ever do a search for his posts, do you ever notice that his advice is the complete opposite that EVERYONE (tuners and experienced owners alike) recommends?

I hurt his feelings He has me on ignore but at the very least I can correct the misinformation he spreads.
      12-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #33
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
No, you are just dealing with an idiot who BMS banned from their site. This is the guy who told everyone his car runs faster on Map 9 without meth than on, uses eBay parts and ghetto fabbed parts from Autozone (or similar) because he is either too cheap or too poor to do things correctly.

You are dealing with someone who complains about KR events on his meth setup yet he runs Windshield Washer fluid and Heet through his system instead of methanol and distilled water and curiously omits that fact. There is plenty of good advice on this board, but if you ever do a search for his posts, do you ever notice that his advice is the complete opposite that EVERYONE (tuners and experienced owners alike) recommends?

I hurt his feelings He has me on ignore but at the very least I can correct the misinformation he spreads.
Who are you talking about?
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #34
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
Who are you talking about?
M3 Eater aka mobilefitt
      12-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #35
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
M3 Eater aka mobilefitt
here i'll quote you so he can see it. I agree w what you said, i'm not sure where this guy gets his info/ideas but I'm glad I dont follow the same recipes.

on the JB4 having this new feature is good for the users, high power = poor traction so this should really help.

I had this feature back in 2008 .
      12-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
No, timing must be lowered proportionally to your boost increase!

Also here is a manual log showing gear shifting in action. Reports the proper gear perfectly.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
oh such heart felt devotion... I just can't escape it.

its a simple concept....let me dumb it down for you. If we refuse to control timing, lets adjust boost so that we can have the most hp on the timing available. I know you procede guys have been doing it for a while but we are talking good things here about JB4. Lets try to keep that in mind. NO i don't use windshield fluid or heet unless I have a meth emergency... just like your car isn't hydro locked anymore. leaking meth from the cheap ass failsafe you brag about, or have Forge DV's that are rusted closed.. hate for who ever has it now... Banned for asking terry this same question... just trying to make small talk here. Unbelievable sometimes...
      12-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #38
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
how about you tell us why BMS doesn't control timing then smart ass?
whats the official word if your going to correct my mis-information
(promise there will be nothing of value mentioned by the myst) he is just a hater, that gave up on BmS, and yet still haunts the threads hoping to brag about how his procede is better. If you look at his posts prior to having his procede, it was always trying to figure out why his mT bogged with meth, switched tuned and fixed his meth kit at the same time and gives all the credit to the tune but none to the guy that really works on his car.( you can check his post where he admits that he is not competent enough to id a vac hose leak on the back of his diverter valve needs someone to find it for him). See I can play the stupid find every mistake in every thread game too, I just would rather stay on topic.

He just only tries to drive it and pays to have is mods installed... poorly I might add based on his mods and his slips.

so now we have that background... anyone that would like to guess why BMS choses not to alter timing in the same manner as Procede as thats what was being discussed.

Last edited by M3 Eater; 12-16-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post

its a simple concept....let me dumb it down for you. If we refuse to control timing, lets adjust boost so that we can have the most hp on the timing available. I know you procede guys have been doing it for a while but we are talking good things here about JB4. Lets try to keep that in mind. NO i don't use windshield fluid or heet unless I have a meth emergency... just like your car isn't hydro locked anymore. leaking meth from the cheap ass failsafe you brag about, or have Forge DV's that are rusted closed.. hate for who ever has it now... Banned for asking terry this same question... just trying to make small talk here. Unbelievable sometimes...
I think you were banned for continually giving people bad advice and causing mass confusion. It is probably well intentioned on your part but just creates headaches for everyone else. Do please keep it out of my threads.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #40
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
10-4 no timing related questions
      12-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #41
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:

So explain to us, since you have such infinite wisdom deviating from what the proper recommendation is, what you use for meth? If you are so absolutely hellbent on making Terry's life suck without following proper recommendation, why don't you just switch tunes?

And also I would like to know when my car was hydrolocked? Or when my Forge DVs were rusted closed? Terry banned you for going on a tirade, providing misinformation that others here have attested to, and just being a general nuisance. There is a fine line between providing good customer service and devoting resources elsewhere. I, personally, am surprised Terry went as long as he did. I also saw that post on another BMW forum where you personally berated Terry and BMS and got laughed at by everyone who read it.

You should be reading and absorbing information, not providing advice, especially for one who has gone through umpteen different nozzles, engine bay bits held together by zip ties and pretty blue hose, all for naught. Show us some pictures of how pretty your engine bay is, with the blue hose and zip ties holding everything up
      12-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #42
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
how about you tell us why BMS doesn't control timing then smart ass?
whats the official word if your going to correct my mis-information
(promise there will be nothing of value mentioned by the myst) he is just a hater, that gave up on BmS, and yet still haunts the threads hoping to brag about how his procede is better. If you look at his posts prior to having his procede, it was always trying to figure out why his mT bogged with meth, switched tuned and fixed his meth kit at the same time and gives all the credit to the tune but none to the guy that really works on his car.( you can check his post where he admits that he is not competent enough to id a vac hose leak on the back of his diverter valve needs someone to find it for him). See I can play the stupid find every mistake in every thread game too, I just would rather stay on topic.

He just only tries to drive it and pays to have is mods installed... poorly I might add based on his mods and his slips.

so now we have that background... anyone that would like to guess why BMS choses not to alter timing in the same manner as Procede as thats what was being discussed.
LOL, I find the problems, I don't create new ones. Something you should try. Speaking of slips, where are yours? Your iPhone dynolicious app doesn't count.
      12-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

m3eater - im not sure you know much about tuning

i have no allegiance to any tune. i think i own all the piggy backs on the market for the n54.

i have been tuning cars for a fair amount of time now (multiple platforms ranging from standalones to piggy's and flash tunes). open source, haltech, aem, etc.

1st - boost doesnt control timing...running different levels of boost will show different timing curves because of the mapping in the stock dme and reactions to knock events...but don't for a second believe that the boost you run determines the timing curve

2nd - if a piggy isn't controlling timing you are relying on the throttle mapping of the dme to control the timing curves - as such you will simply knock yourself down into a lower timing curve

so your statements don't make much sense. me personally - coming from a world where i have tuned every car i've owned myself with very high resolution ecu's i rely heavily on a tune that does involve timing as fuel only tuning is not a safe approach - its not unsafe necessarily - but not my style for sure. any legit / educated individual would agree with that as timing is crucial for tuning a car properly.

Last edited by Jake@MOTIV; 12-16-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #44
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
here i'll quote you so he can see it. I agree w what you said, i'm not sure where this guy gets his info/ideas but I'm glad I dont follow the same recipes.

on the JB4 having this new feature is good for the users, high power = poor traction so this should really help.

I had this feature back in 2008 .
I had this feature back in 2000
Appreciate 0