E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

04-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #221
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini View Post
was up at dealers today getting new rims fitted - they informed me that my car is recalled - fuel injectors have to be replaced - booked in for thurs fortnight.

....f'in great....so they are recalling cars that have no problem, but not ones that do!!!!!!

I don't know why I keep reading this thread really........

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #222
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post

....f'in great....so they are recalling cars that have no problem, but not ones that do!!!!!!

I don't know why I keep reading this thread really........
Reading this thread isn't going to solve the problem in any way, shape of form, chrisbin! My £0.02:

BMW clearly are not going to admit there is a 'global' problem with this engine in a hurry, and are taking it case by case (possibly because they don't have a fix and might ergo have to 'write off' thousands of cars as a logical conclusion if they declared that (commercial suicide)). I therefore surmise that the injector recall is done pending other work already completed, ie it doesn't affect all cars.

This fits with the staying quiet stance, and it could well be that mine is not subject to recall as it had the work done when it was off the road for 4 weeks for the "software only" update before Christmas (as I mentioned before the oil was topped up when I got it back - was that because the engine had been dismantled?) It could alternatively have been when my dealer had it for a week for the rear screen replacement while I was away. Neither really matters: it's not subject to recall now. This may change, of course. It therefore follows that if others' cars have been attended to already, that more 'preventative' or pre-emptive' work was carried out at the same time, hence the selective recall. If I were BMW I would quite happily do the work on cars but would maybe not shout about the amount or scope of it that I were having to do. If I could change the injectors on a car that was in for other work then I may do so. So what? I don't mind, as long as it gets fixed eventually, and (touch wood) it's not that bad at the moment.

Seems to me there are 2 options for all of us, and both are in our own hands:

1. Put up and deal with the symptoms via your dealer each time they arise. The car is under warranty, and I'm sure BMW will fix it eventually.
2. Reject the car (I thought about it when I was at my angry stage but knew I would have too much of a fight on my hands in those circumstances at the time). Clearly you have to be in a very good position to do so and be successful.

I too was extremely disappointed when it first happened to me, but, subsequently thinking logically about the good points of the car, makes me see it a little differently, and I'm far more sanguine now. The car has so many other good points, I can forgive it a few foibles. I know others have far worse symptoms, and justifiably feel less inclined to do so. Fair enough, in which case, the above options apply. You have one of the most comprehensive warranties available backing your car, so use it. I agree it's unfortunate to need to, but what other option is there bar rejection? Similarly, if that's what you decide to do, then go for it.

It's always galling to have to put up with this sort of thing, but have you seen the list of problems that E92Fan had with his 335i? Now that would piss me off, and if I avoid that sort of nausea (not forgetting his car will have been considerably more expensive), then I'll be happy.

Have you tried running it on different fuel? I use Shell V Power and it feels best of the lot. Also, have you tried fly fishing? Seriously - helps you forget the more annoying aspects of life!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #223
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Bumps - yep, a lot of good sense.......sorry, was a bad day.....

However, I can put up with foibles on my 5 year old Lotus.....but I'm really not prepared to accept same on an 9 month old £32k Beemer tbh....why should we?

As you say, the car is excellent taken as a whole, its just the engine.....if they offered me a 320d same spec I'd take it like a shot, even though I would be out of pocket on the BIK taxation....

Ho hum......just another week to wait before they have another go......during which time, you never know, it might break down again!!!

I'm off for a pint!!

Oh and of course the thread won't solve anything, but its the only source of information at the moment....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #224
Chris320
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i MSport ED Saloon

I think that if this was an intermittent problem with the boot release or maybe the aircon I'd not be too fussed. The thing is that when I bought the BM the last thing I expected to have a problem with was the basic running of the engine. Their new super efficient engine that had more power and did 46mpg was supposed to be one of the main selling points of the car!

Anyway touch wood mine isn't too bad. I've had no warning lights coming on or breakdowns so I count myself lucky. I've got used to the odd "cough" between 1500 and 2000 rpm

As long as BMW ARE actively trying to fix this problem then that's fine but if I'm still waiting six months from now then I think i'll be pretty sick to death of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #225
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 SE cab

Garage List
....in my seventh month now !!

..Im trying to reject it at the mo...I'l let u all know

...I tend to agree Chris320....anything above 30mph the car is fine....good even...but its just too fundamental that it should drive ok at 30..and it doesnt!!...it would be nice to reach at least 30 in the mpg too...another reason i bought it..

..my dad always said looks arent everything!!.....mmmm shud have listened..lol

"sex on legs!...well.. wheels!!..."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #226
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Look at this quote in another thread.. hmmmmm lol, this sounds all too familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
My father in law has a 2008 325i ed e90 auto ,His wasnt feeling quite right and went in to safety mode ?? due to a camshaft position sensor failing.He said it was lumpy and down on power?? also it was recalled for some software upgrade due to fuel pump pressure issues or injector related issues .Maybe its something similar anyway good luck

Btw his first problem was at 1k miles the software issue at 2k miles hes now at 3k and i think by what he said today the car has settled down and is well pleased with it

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #227
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Well at least you guys have a s/w upgrade available.

I finally got told there is no s/w update for the Si and its a mechanical fault - after one year of ownership and 46k miles I think that's ridiculous.

BMW have my car now to fix the "mechanical issue" And by chance last week the handbrake and brakes failed (warning lights on dash and grinding noise)when I went to pick up my car at the airport after a week away.

BMW assist advised that I could drive home carefully and should take it to dealer asap - Lucky it was already booked in to go next morning!

I'm starting to think I should have got an Alfa at least I would have been visiting the stealer regularly as I am now.....
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 04:52 AM   #228
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Left mine at dealers yesterday.....have a 318i SE in replacement (could be worse.)

They rang yesterday to say they couldn't find anything.....so will be issuing a PUMA....

We shall see...............

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #229
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Today's update....

BMW have advised my dealer that the problems described relate to "two different types of injection, and its when the car switches from one to another that the faults are experienced......".....

They are going to reprogramme the car....again!!!!

Oh and the injector recall relates to a "quality enhancement" apparently....but it would seem that mine already has the better quality ones....

Finally - creaking driver's seat.....has been fixed by fitting a new steering rack....

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #230
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Keeping my fingers crossed for you Chrisbin, sounds like they are confused over the problems though
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #231
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Thanks - need all the help we can get eh..?

Have to say that I'm a bit sceptical..........can't think why???!!!!!

Well they've rung to tell me its ready to be picked up....they have reprogrammed and cannot replicate problem....mind you couldnt get it to do it before the reprogramme either.....

Anyway, I am told, that the problem is with the way the injection system works (due to the low emission/fuel consumption design) and basically the problems come when the system is switching from one mode to the other....so in their own words, the software doesnt fix it (it seems nothing will...) but it helps disguise/smooth the transition better.......apparently the results on other cars they have applied this to have been successful....

This kind of makes sense to me...and at least sounds more "honest"....question is whether the difference will be good enough.....only time will tell......

Last edited by chrisbin; 05-07-2008 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 02:13 AM   #232
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

I had a comparitively mild dose of 'the judders' on my car (October 07, ED 318i M Sport), and whatever software upgrade they performed does seem to have fixed it. They also confirmed that the injector recall did not apply to my engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #233
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

Mine was fine for nearly a year, but about 2 weeks ago it started to lose power below 2000rpm and would not accelerate up hills without changing gear. It went in on tuesday and they reprogrammed it, the engine now feels as it used to. The USB playback from flash drives does seem to be much better - it now seems to stay on Random when you start up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #234
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Just to update:

OK....well...I'm glad to say I'm back in my car.....no offence to 318i owners but that engine really is a bit gutless..... Oh and thank God for electric Sports seats...!!!!

Anyway, more to the point...first impressions are mixed..when I started it up it felt really rough ....but then for the 20 mls from dealer to my office it has been fine.....have zeroed the mpg to see how that goes...

Bottom line from the dealers is that its as good as they (in tandem with BMW technical) can make it.....their words....so, if I have any more issues/am unhappy with the engine then its back to customer services negotiations.....

We shall see....

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #235
recalluk
Rep
Drives: 320i Edition SE Touring

Will watch with interest, just for record I have a 320i ED Engine Edition SE, 500 miles so far.

No cough or hiccup that I can detect, although still obviously getting a feel for the car so may have just not noticed it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #236
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just to update:

OK....well...I'm glad to say I'm back in my car.....no offence to 318i owners but that engine really is a bit gutless.....
Was that an 'old' 318i or an ED one? The ED one I have is teh same, performance wise, as the 'old' 320i. And there isn't a massive difference between the ED 318i and the ED 320i.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #237
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Was that an 'old' 318i or an ED one? The ED one I have is teh same, performance wise, as the 'old' 320i. And there isn't a massive difference between the ED 318i and the ED 320i.
It was an '08 reg......but didnt have the "stop/start" system...

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #238
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was an '08 reg......but didnt have the "stop/start" system...
Ah, so not the ED version. I was gonna buy an old 320i, but held out for an ED 318i and I am very happy with it, it's certainly an improvement on my old car, a 1.6 litre Golf, which took about 10.5 seconds to get from 0-60.

Sure, I could use some extra grunt now and then, and in a couple of years I may trade it in for a bigger engine, but the little bit of ooomph it does have is enough for now, and the M Sport suspension and cornering provide plenty of pleasure.

I thought the stop/start was a gimmick at first, but it can be useful, and if you don't want it kicking in (eg. if you're in stop/start traffic), you can just keep your foot on the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #239
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I had a comparitively mild dose of 'the judders' on my car (October 07, ED 318i M Sport), and whatever software upgrade they performed does seem to have fixed it. They also confirmed that the injector recall did not apply to my engine.
Arrrggghhhhh I shouldn't have said this! On the way home tonight, I suffered a terrible case of 'limp mode', where you get hardly any power no matter what you do - annoying and potentially dangerous. Had experienced hints of this before but told myself it was 'just me'. I pulled over and waited a minute or two, then started off in first again and still, limp limp limp.....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #240
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I have an update on mine now.

The stealer has given up and isn't happy with advice from BMW as none of it has worked. The engine still stalls on start up.

So they are throwing it to BMW UK to look after.

I have been advised that they plan to strip down the engine. They think the cylinder block may give them some clues.

Anyone know what a new engine costs on the Si?
As i'll be interested to know if its cost effective to get a new engine fitted......

I have their 320iSE Auto soon to be replaced by a BMW UK car - It will be interesting to see if I get same or better.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #241
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Arrrggghhhhh I shouldn't have said this! On the way home tonight, I suffered a terrible case of 'limp mode', where you get hardly any power no matter what you do - annoying and potentially dangerous. Had experienced hints of this before but told myself it was 'just me'. I pulled over and waited a minute or two, then started off in first again and still, limp limp limp.....
Towed to the dealers?

Sorry to hear about this.....shame its not a surprise though...!!

Haven't gone far in mine, but certainly not convinced about it....... I'm in touch with BMW finance now as well as Customer Services.....will keep rattling cages...

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #242
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Towed to the dealers?

Sorry to hear about this.....shame its not a surprise though...!!
No, didn't require towing - and I have yet to see any engine warning lights. I was only a few hundred yards from home when it happened, and I limped round there and parked up for the night. This morning, all was as normal. Strangely, when I have noticed this 'limp mode' before, it has always been on the way home, after work, meaning the car has been parked and therefore inactive all day, and in the recent warm weather too. I wonder is that a factor or just coincidence?

Anyway, the car was already booked in next week to get the vibrating gear stick sorted (there's a part that fixes this, apparently), so I told them that although the judder is now gone, limp mode remains a problem. Will see what they say, of course it's hard to pin down an intermittent problem. And that means it's hard to pin down BMW on not fixing it, but it seems they are not only aware of the problem but are willing to admit it, and presumably they are working on a fix (or fixes). Upgrading software seems to help but not totally cure it.

If mine is still playing up after next week, I will contact customer services and ask what they suggest since I just shelled out a chunk of cash for a practically brand new car that now and then abruptly and inexplicably loses power. It's a pity because like others here I love the car, but how can I feel confident in it if I know it may fail at any time?

Good luck with yours....
Appreciate 0