Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Spare Tire solutions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbblack View Post
I keep a running check of mileage, have for years.
Around town with run flats 19 to 19.2 mpg with out run flats 21.5 to 22.4. I have not taken a long freeway trip but expect good results when I do.
I run 32# front and 36# rear and check tires each week.

Run flats = 28#
Pole Position = 26#

shipping weight of E46 spare = 24# (not 50) as it is a compact spare. I was already carrying the jack.

Total additional weight = 16#

Your mileage may vary....

Cheers,
Jeff

I would have guessed that stiffer sidewalls and less grippy traction would reduce rolling resistance and offset any mileage difference, but maybe it works the other way? In any case, it doesn't seem like weight reduction could explain much improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #24
theDude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Thanks. Do you actually carry around a spray bottle in case its dark?
I don't...but a full bladder can help

I would recommend carrying a pair of pliers. In my case, the offending object has always been stuck in the tire, so finding it wasn't as hard as it could be, but you'll need something to pull it out.

Finding the leak is def. the hardest part, but if you use a flashlight/listen carefully you can usually find the leak.

Takes maybe 10 minutes, if you aren't a girly-man.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
6Zylinder
appreciate your car
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i built 07/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude View Post
I don't...but a full bladder can help

I would recommend carrying a pair of pliers. In my case, the offending object has always been stuck in the tire, so finding it wasn't as hard as it could be, but you'll need something to pull it out.

Finding the leak is def. the hardest part, but if you use a flashlight/listen carefully you can usually find the leak.

Takes maybe 10 minutes, if you aren't a girly-man.

The Ultimate Driving Machine...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #26
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude View Post
I like to fix it permanently on the spot, instead of using goop...

+1

I've used that kit on all of my other cars in the past simply because it was easier than jacking the car up and changing to a spare. And, they've always held for the life of the tire. The trick with them is that you have to drive the car right after plugging it, so that the heat from the tire will permanently seal it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #27
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Thx for info. I'm always surprised that they seal as well as they do since the hole is filled by "two" plugs side by side.

Also, I've noticed that most brands state for temporary use only. I bought the one that didn't have that label. I suspect that everyone patching a tire wants it to be permanent, but that labeling is purely for liability reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #28
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

tire plugs

A tire plug can make a great emergency repair. According to tire industry guidelines it also will need an internal patch with the plug to be considered a permanent repair. I have patched lots of tires. Plugging on the side of the road can be very hard. With a small leak you would have to enlarge the hole to get the plug in and without a reamer it can be hard to get thru the broken metal cords. I currently carry the pump with solution and fix the tires latter in my shop. If you leave the offending object in the tire (it usually is still in it) you'll be surprised how far you can go with just putting air in. With the tire on the car and the car on the ground it can be a long slow dirty process to find a leak. You may need an air pump to find it. If you remove the foreign object and can't get it plugged then you do have a significant leak that may not be sealable. Holes that are within 1 inch of the sidewall are not to be repaired (I find no problem fixing it and getting to a place that can get me a new tire - just slow down). All sidewall holes also deem a tire non-repairable. If you take the car to a shop they must do both repairs - plug and patch. The plug keeps water from getting into the metal cords and rusting them.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #29
6Zylinder
appreciate your car
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i built 07/06

Nice post!

The Ultimate Driving Machine...
Appreciate 0