E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Laser Eye Surgery - Help & Advice

11-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
You might also ask yourself why so few opthalmic surgeons have had laser eye surgery.
This IS definitely something that's always bothered me!!
      11-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
I would stay away. Just finished up medical school. It can cause blindness 10 or 20 years down the line. Its not certain you will but a possibility. I've seen worset vision on that. I know a family friend who lost his through this surgery. Just my 2 cents. Hit or miss on this one. Its your eyes your life and your decision.
Disagree.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Had mine done almost a year ago and don't regret it one bit... I was super stressed about it, did tons of research, ended up going to the best dr. in Los Angeles (and overpaying I'm sure at $3,600/eye).

My eyes were -5.75 both eyes... at your level of correction it is a no-brainer... find a good dr. with a great reputation, talk to former patients of that doc and go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Wouldn't agree that it is a no brainer. ALL surgery has risks. Even excellent surgeons have complications (although less than less good ones). A surgeon who has no complications either doesn't do any surgery or is a liar.

The OP has to weigh the pros and cons and make his decision, no wrong or right decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
moestar75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 Red on Black

I had mine done at LASIK 3 yrs ago. Mine was almost - 6.0 both eyes and I have better than 20/20 now and loving it. It was around $5Gs with some discount but every penny is worth the result. I would strongly recomend it and make sure your prescription is pretty steady for atleast 3yrs. I had my consultation done 3 times over the span of 3yrs just to make sure. Night vision glare and old age reading glases (natural with aging) is a posibility but I didn't experience any night glare at all. It all depends on the individual and the recovery! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

I had the surgery done in May of 2006. Until then, I was really indifferent about getting it done. Looking back, I would rank it as one of the single best decisions I have ever made in my life. I went to a local doctor, Dr. Boothe, in Dallas. I believe he is among the most experienced laser eye surgeons in the nation.

The day after I had the surgery, I tested 20/15 in both eyes. Truly remarkable. Four years later I have nothing but good things to say. If you're on the fence like I was, just get it done. Trust me, you will love it.
      11-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
Thanks Pamidge - great response - and yes im short sighted and considering LASIK.

Also - Im thinking of calling Moorfields Eye Hospital because for some reason, probably wrongly, im assuming its a better prospect???
If i ever get it done it will be at Moorfields.

Last time i looked (a few years back) there was tons of great info on their website about techniques they use.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Disagree.
many of you guys disagree but yet im biased because i would never do anything to jeapordize my vision what so ever. I know for a fact many people don't have problems im not saying that but the percent that does goes blind. I would take that risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #31
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I was -2.5 in both eyes. Had it done this time last year with optical express. Procedure itself was pain free, its only afterwards for first 12hours your eyes sting like way too many cut onions been put in front of you.

Best money ever spent. Life is so much easier now.

If you decide to go ahead get in touch as I have £300 discount vouchers for optical express

I had the full laser treatment, So laser for the flap and then laser for the correction, did not want anyone to come close with a knife to my eye. Then had Wavefront Intralase to improve and remove glare at night

The way I see it if the tech is good enough for some of our top athletes and NASA I say its good enough for me, certainly have had no complaints. Whats more post op if I had any concerns I would get a free app anytime at any optical express store that had the consultants in matter of days.

Great as it gives you peace of mind. Right now I have as they say better than 20/20 vision.

Last edited by magic77; 11-23-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #32
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
I was -2.5 in both eyes. Had it done this time last year with optical express. Procedure itself was pain free, its only afterwards for first 12hours your eyes sting like way too many cut onions been put in front of you.

Best money ever spent. Life is so much easier now.

If you decide to go ahead get in touch as I have £300 discount vouchers for optical express

I had the full laser treatment, So laser for the flap and then laser for the correction, did not want anyone to come close with a knife to my eye. Then had Wavefront Intralase to improve and remove glare at night

The way I see it if the tech is good enough for some of our top athletes and NASA I say its good enough for me, certainly have had no complaints. Whats more post op if I had any concerns I would get a free app anytime at any optical express store that had the consultants in matter of days.

Great as it gives you peace of mind. Right now I have as they say better than 20/20 vision.

Ouch, that brings back painful memories

The stinginess for me lasted the full 1 week, (where you had to use the 3 sets of drops for 7 days). When i put the anti inflammatory drops, followed by the other drops (i think they were anti bacterial drops?) 5 mins later, my eyes would be stinging for ages. After about 30 mins, it all calmed down and I could then put the 'blink' ones in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #33
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Steve, I had mine done in January and haven't looked back...it's personal preference and of course there is risk associated but in all honesty, I would say 'DO IT'! My prescription was -4.25 and -4.75 and wish I had the balls to have done it years ago!

I actually paid quite a bit more than most people have been quoting (around £1250 per eye IIRC). Firstly, I went with Ultralase who seem to have the most expensive offering on the market (but also promised the best aftercare) and I also went for their 'wavefront' technology which claim to make your eyes 'perfect' so you don't get side effects like lights having a 'star' effect at night. All I can say is that the result is brilliant as my vision is exceptional in all light conditions and I can now see 3 lines below 20:20!

I had the Lasik treatment which meant a flap was cut before the eye was laser'd but none of it was painful, not in the slightest. The flap is also cut by laser so theres no blades involved and I could actually 'see' the results as soon as I sat up after the procedure was done. The only bit of discomfort for me was straight after the procedure (like an hour after when the anaesthetic wore off) where it stung like I'd just cut a load of onions. I just went to sleep and when I woke up 2-3 hours later, the stinging had gone. My eyes felt 'gritty' for about 2 days and after that, there have been no side affects whatsoever.

Of course, I'm sure not everyone will have had the same perfect experience as me but from my personal point of view, it really is one of the best things I have ever done.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 11-23-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Soundss about the same as mine. The Lasik costs more but I prefered thesystem to a blade to the eye.

I was between Ultralase and Optical express in the end both priced the same but it was availability and access to post care that put me to Optical Express. The nice discount I got from the girl when I booked it in store made it lot less painfull as well
      11-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #35
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, if you work for the government or any other 'big' company, make sure to mention it when you book, as you will get a further discount (with Optical Express anyway; not sure about the others).
I think I got a 15-20% discount just for working for the company i work for.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #36
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds about right how i got mine. Once you get it done do you get from ultralase vouchers to give out. I've now had 3 packs of £300 off money vouchers.

Clever marketing and cheap
      11-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #37
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Thanks to both Magic and Palmnuts - again sound advice - in fact i remember your original post Andy and it was that that made me think ive really got to bite the bullet and do this!! And yet here i still am pondering!! I chickened out yesterday and ended up ordering some new glasses in the end - but that was via Vision Express (my opticians) and they dont do laser surgery anyway. Money isnt the issue and (same as with tyres for my cars) i wouldnt ever scrimp on this. I think i might still contact Moorfields - otherwise its between Optical and Ultra. Thanks again guys. Would be very interested in those vouchers Magic (thanks for the kind offer) - dont suppose you got any vouchers Andy did you!!!???
      11-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #38
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
my dad has went through laser eye surgery a few years back. He had astigmatism. Apparently his astigmatism went back and his back to wearing glasses again.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #39
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

My uncle lost his vision because of this! This was almost 15 years ago when Lasik technology was still a new thing but his eye sight was pretty bad back than before he did it!
      11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #40
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
My uncle lost his vision because of this! This was almost 15 years ago when Lasik technology was still a new thing but his eye sight was pretty bad back than before he did it!
I think its one of reasons I never thought of doing it until now. 15 years is a huge amount of time in tech and development. Look at it that way 15 years ago Pentium 133Mhz machine was considered a powerfull PC.

These days a HTC HD2 has 1Ghz CPU.

If you decide to go with the op send me PM and I can post you a voucher.
      11-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
Spin
fast Cars are safer
England
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe

I'm considering having this done too, been reading up about it for the last 2/3 years and have spoken to several people that have had it done and swear by it, only actually heard of 1 cases where the surgery improved the distance vision but then the patient needed glasses for reading when didn't prior to the procedure.

Ultralase do some amazing offers like the current one of free consultation, nothing to pay for 9 months then an additional 36 mths interest free which ll makes it more tempting, average cost around £2,500 - £3000 for the all singing all dancing operation, why would anyone settle for anything other than the best procedure ?!?

I'm 44 and have worn glasses just for driving and computer work for the last 5/6 years but have noticed of late that my quality of vision when not wearing glasses has certainly deteriorated, always said as soon as I needed them for everyday use I would go for it.

I'm going to book a consultation within the next 2 weeks so I'll let you know what I think, must admit I am very nervous about it too but the thought of good vision is so enticing.

"Fast Cars are Safer..."
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #42
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin View Post
I'm considering having this done too, been reading up about it for the last 2/3 years and have spoken to several people that have had it done and swear by it, only actually heard of 1 cases where the surgery improved the distance vision but then the patient needed glasses for reading when didn't prior to the procedure.

Ultralase do some amazing offers like the current one of free consultation, nothing to pay for 9 months then an additional 36 mths interest free which ll makes it more tempting, average cost around £2,500 - £3000 for the all singing all dancing operation, why would anyone settle for anything other than the best procedure ?!?

I'm 44 and have worn glasses just for driving and computer work for the last 5/6 years but have noticed of late that my quality of vision when not wearing glasses has certainly deteriorated, always said as soon as I needed them for everyday use I would go for it.

I'm going to book a consultation within the next 2 weeks so I'll let you know what I think, must admit I am very nervous about it too but the thought of good vision is so enticing.
You probably need to wait for your vision to stabilise (without glasses) before considering for the surgery if you say it has been deteriorating.

I had mine done with Optical Express (in Nottingham), and i would recommend them.

My friend had it done with Ultralase and she also said that they were great. Her surgery was supposed to be done in Leicester, but on the day of her surgery, they had a leak in the roof, so the surgeon personally drove her to the Nottingham surgery and performed the surgery there. They also paid for a taxi to get her and her mother back to Leicester which was pretty good of them I thought.

If you can manage the pre-consultation, then you will defintley be able to handle the surgery.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #43
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

I thought about this years ago and even went for a consultation. Can't remember all the details but I didn't go through with it in the end. I do remember I read some pretty worring stuff on the web from people who had it done and got left with various problems.

I have been wearing glasses since I was about 4 so have got used to them now and have managed to keep my last pair for 4 years with out damage or scratching - when I was younger they never lasted long! When I do take my specs off people think I look weird as they are all used to seeing me with them on

I think if I was going to do it I would want to know what the long term effects might be and they haven't been doing it for long enough yet to know that for sure.

Do they still just do one eye at a time incase there are problems?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #44
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTee View Post
Do they still just do one eye at a time incase there are problems?
I dont know about the others, but Optical Express do both at the same time
Appreciate 0