E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Service engine light & Herb Chambers

03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Service engine light & Herb Chambers

After hitting 3000 miles on my car, i figure i can have some fun with it so I took it out on storrow drive over the past weekend. Then the service engine light along with the check gas cap light came on after i exited at a stop light. I pulled over and checked the gas cap and couldn't find anything wrong with it and the service engine light was still there. I called HC BMW and they told me they were booked until the 23rd of this month and if i want a loaner I would have to wait until the 31st. WTF , i have to wait about a month to have my car checked? This never happened when I had my Mercedes from HC in somerville and I definitely don't want to take it to FMW after reading a post here. Is anyone experiencing this?

**** 5/17 Update ****
Finally, (long awaited) got my car back to the shape it was. HC fixed the rims, got me a brand new PS2 ZP tire and took the swirl marks out of my paint. Perfect timing for today's cars & coffee meet....awesome turn out and was able to meet a couple of forum members .

**** 5/11 Update ****
Last Wednesday, they got my rim fix and it looks great, but they F'ing lost my tire. WTF!!!! The SA said he'll call during the weekend but no call so i gave them a call today and the SA is out until Wednesday. Arh Gaw!!!!

**** 4/29 Update ****
Got my car back from the dealership for detailing a couple week ago, and it was a half ass amateur job. It looked nice and shiney inside the dealership but the swirl marks were still there once the car was outside in the sun. I told the SA (Mike) and he said maybe we can touch it up again once your wheel is fix. I told him i hope so and he added, "it's a black car, it's very hard to keep clean." The only good job they did was cleaning my interior. Just the other day it rained and the water beads were still on my car. Shouldn't a good wax job cause the water to bead right off? I don't think they'll get my car done right. My rim should be in today, i guess i have to call them to find out. To be continue....

**** 4/8 Update ****
Brought my car in on Monday 4/6 and my SA asked did the light came back on. I'm thinking, WTF they forgot about the sratches they put on my car. I had to refresh his memory by pointing at all the spots. He then said ok we'll take care of this and gave me a loaner car (that was on Monday). Have not heard from them since. So i called this morning, Wednesday 4/8 and SA was extremely busy to talk to me & will call me back. Got a call around 3.30 pm from a new guy Mike saying the director was not around and he's following up with me asking what's wrong with the car. WTF???? after 3 days they call me to ask what's wrong with the car? ARE U KIDDDING ME?

I told him and he was apologetic and said he will have this taken care but he's not sure if they can fix the curbed rim but will let me know......uh the saga continues

**** 4/2 Update****
Brought my car yesterday on the 31st at around 8:30 am and my first impression was the service department is exteremly busy with different BMW's & Mini Coopers and the area was really tight. Right then I had a notion something wrong was going to happen to my car (first omen) but i just shrugged it off and walked out of my car towards the SA.

I had to wait a bit as my SA was busy with another customer. Ali then greeted me (he was one of my old SA) and took down my info/issues and moved me along to the loaner car section. After all the paperwork was sign we walked out to the lot to inspect the loaner, it was a black 08 E90 328xi. It had so many scratches and bumps all around that i refused to take it (didn't want to be blame for something i missed during the inspection) and ask for a silver or lighter color car. They gave me a silver one with just a bit less scratches and no visible dents (second omen). It was getting late and i had to get to work so i took it and drove off.

My SA called me around 5:30 pm and told me the car is all set and ready to pick up. He also explained the issue was due to the high pressure fuel pump: Fault 2A15,29DC and they replaced it. I told him I wasn't able to pickup my car that day and he said i can pick it up the next morning.

I showed up around 8:30 am today anxiously to pick my car. They pulled it out front and the car looked nice and clean from afar. I was first impressed/happy but that feeling quickly turned to Dissapointment/Frustration when i closely examine my car. There were hairline scratches all around my car and worst of all, my front passenger rim was curbed.....WTF my premonition came true.

My SA apologized to me said everything should be fixed. His boss, Paul then came out to inspect the scratches/damage and was quick to say, "we can't wash/clean your car the next time you bring it in for service and we have to personally go through the car to check each area." I'm thinking in my head does this happen to the Porsches & M cars that are serviced there. I told him, you can count on me never to have it washed by you guys again. He then brought me into his office to schedule an appointment.

I now have an appointment for next Monday April 6 to have them detail the car and resurface my rims. I hope they can restore it back....to be continue.

Last edited by TL; 05-17-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

ask Kev what he thinks about herb chambers! why dont you try peabody?
      03-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
I would but I bought my car at HC and they only give loaners to poeple that bought their cars there. I've had a good experience with HC Mercedes though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

+1 on peabody.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

Peabody is the only dealership in New England I've dealt with that hasn't damaged my car (yet, knock on wood)

That said, they sold me a CPO car that needed the entire brake system replaced 6 weeks later.

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

norwood is good. i think they take great pleasure in stealing away chambers customers
      03-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
twocanyan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i Xdrive

I was told never to mentioned HC in Norwood by their finance dept.. obviously they were kidding.. but having had history with HC Honda Sales.. I will never ever go and provide business to HC. They hire the guys who can't make quota and other local dealerships..

Over Selling and Under deliverying is their motto.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocanyan View Post
I was told never to mentioned HC in Norwood by their finance dept.. obviously they were kidding.. but having had history with HC Honda Sales.. I will never ever go and provide business to HC. They hire the guys who can't make quota and other local dealerships..

Over Selling and Under deliverying is their motto.
I dont get your first sentence at all...maybe I'm just tired
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
twocanyan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i Xdrive

I meant they did not want to hear anything about HC. LIke.. even considering buying a car from them.. or having been their for service etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Peabody will give you a loaner, its just not a bmw. They get you a rental. Thats what I've been getting, cause I dont have the time to bring it to HC.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i w/ xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Peabody will give you a loaner, its just not a bmw. They get you a rental. Thats what I've been getting, cause I dont have the time to bring it to HC.
A while back, Peabody used to have an on-site Enterprise rep that handed out crappy U.S. makes. I got a Dodge something or other once...

Since then, though, I've always had a BMW loaner from them. I've also never had an issue getting an appointment to check out an issue. (Then again, I'm on my second BMW through them.) Never had to wait more than a couple days for non-serious issues. Check engine lights or worse things, they've taken me that day or early the next.

Hmm..perhaps the booked schedule at HC BMW is because every other BU student's daddy bought them a BMW...*shrug*

Ever since one of HC BMW's sales guys basically said I must sit around and smoke pot all day and the manager (some woman with giant hair) brushed off my complaints about him, I haven't dealt with them. Avoid at all costs imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by branabolic View Post
ask Kev what he thinks about herb chambers! why dont you try peabody?
Like TL, I had a good experience with Chambers Motorcars in Somerville where I bought my E55. My problem was with their body shop in Braintree and their non-communication with the client, the Mercedes service department, the insurance companies, and the rental car company. Here's the list of problems with them:

1. I don't understand how they could keep my car for 73 days to replace the front and rear bumper, exhaust, and an electrical pump in the front wheel well.

2. They also lost my black chromed emblems that were special ordered from Japan.

3. They never contacted the insurance company to explain why it took so long for them to fix the car so they denied my rental coverage. It amounted to a bill of >4K. Cost me a lawyer and a year's time to recoup the loss.

4. On the same theme, their Enterprise manager kept calling and harassing me on the phone calling me names and ridiculing me for disputing the rental charge with them. Cost me a lawyer to shut him up forever. Apparently he was doing it out of frustration because he was reprimanded by his supervisors. My lawyer sent the supervisors a copy of the letter as well.

5. They literally sanded down almost the entire car to repaint it, which I don't understand the rationale behind it. I know you have to blend but you don't have to blend that MUCH.

6. They neglected that the door they repainted a year ago was peeling and didn't refinish the clear......

7. There was overspray all over the car when I picked it up. Took Matt a full day to get it back to life.

8. They don't understand the concept of staggered tire. Instead of checking what the right rear tire size, they checked the left front tire size and used that to order the left rear tire. DSC light came on while I was driving from Braintree to Somerville to get my 19s put back on.

9. They forgot to reset the headrests after they were deployed to protect our necks during the accident.

I could have gone on and on and on about my ordeal but that should give you enough ideas about the Evil HC empire.

As far as HC BMW goes, my only encounters with them were with sales. The first time was to look at a 325xiT for the wife. The guy was treating us little kids and wouldn't budge on the lease. The second time I went to see the new M6 when it came out. I was ignored for 45 minutes and walked out of the dealership.

I have had much better sales and service experience with Peabody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
I would but I bought my car at HC and they only give loaners to poeple that bought their cars there. I've had a good experience with HC Mercedes though.
Who was your service advisor at Somerville? I had Jim and then Kim took over when he left. I had a good experience with them and they always took care of me.
      03-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
thanks good to know, but i live in Allston and HC is just down the street from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
Who was your service advisor at Somerville? I had Jim and then Kim took over when he left. I had a good experience with them and they always took care of me.
Kim Trott, she's very professional. I brought my car there 4-5 times for a loud noise when i do a u-turn but couldn't replicate the issue when they checked it. It was frustrating for the both of us but she remained professional. Long story short, they changed/cleaned everything underneath my wheels (bearings, strut, etc.) under warranty and the outcome was my brakes needed to be replaced.

I've been dealing with HC for the past 8 - 9 years now. My first BMW and my Mercedes was from them and they've been good. It's now with the new purchase that i was treated this way by their service dept. I'm going to give them a try and will update you all. (crossing my fingers & hope they don't mess things up)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Regarding herb chambers BMW, My personal experience is that their sales department sucks, they really don't treat you so well and like Kev said, you get ignored and treated like a kid when you're there.

However I have nothing to say other than good things about their service department. whenever i take my car in its nearly always fixed/serviced the same day except once were they had to order a part so it stayed for 2 days. But, i have to say that the service manager and one of the SAs are good friends of mine and they always take care of my car so that might be why im the only one who has good things to say about their service department.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245430
      03-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboa51 View Post
looks like only one from MA and it's BMW Gallery Norwood MA
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Regarding herb chambers BMW, My personal experience is that their sales department sucks, they really don't treat you so well and like Kev said, you get ignored and treated like a kid when you're there.

However I have nothing to say other than good things about their service department. whenever i take my car in its nearly always fixed/serviced the same day except once were they had to order a part so it stayed for 2 days. But, i have to say that the service manager and one of the SAs are good friends of mine and they always take care of my car so that might be why im the only one who has good things to say about their service department.

Is it Ali you're talking about? He's my SA today and was my SA back in 2001.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

I bought my car from HC, the SA and his manager that I worked with were great and I got a great price for my 335.

The service department's a hit or miss, but so has my various sales/service experience with BMW Peabody and BMW of Norwood... i've given up and will now take the car to HC/Norwood just for convenience sake (i live in watertown and work down in RI)
      04-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Please read the above as there an update to my post
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
hao2003
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi

i have experienced with paul in the service department..
dude was extremely rude
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
BMWFanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Coupe

Once as I was waiting outside for the service guy to bring me my car I witnessed a near accident involving my car. He was speeding down that hill towards the service garage entrance and a guy was pulling out of the garage and a disaster was barely averted.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Ouch sorry to hear about the incident at HC. Regardless, one should never let the dealer wash your car, period. I would STRONGLY advise against letting them detail your coz it will only result in more damage to the paint. Take it to a professional. I would recommend Matt @ Luxury Details in Framingham, JD @ Auto Salon in Winchester, or Rick in Wakefield.