E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Axxis Deluxe vs. OEM pads

01-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Axxis Deluxe vs. OEM pads

I love my twin turbos (there, I at least had some reference to Forced Induction)

When I bought my 535i back in June, I couldn't STAND the amount of brake dust that the OEM brakes gave off....I bought the Axxis Deluxe pads and had them installed.....My wheels look like they just came off of the showroom floor, at all times.....Since installing PROcede (and me going dramatically faster more often) I am noticing that stopping hard causes a shudder in my pedal. The rotors are fine and I'm sure this is because of the type of pad that installed..

Should I just go back to OEM and live with the dust?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

If the brake dust on your rims is more important to you than the power your car has, you made a mistake buying a tune. The shudder is your ABS kicking in and in that case I recommend you slow down in places where you may be stopping quickly..(ex. Traffic) Can't drive like a madman every where you go.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
If the brake dust on your rims is more important to you than the power your car has, you made a mistake buying a tune. The shudder is your ABS kicking in and in that case I recommend you slow down in places where you may be stopping quickly..(ex. Traffic) Can't drive like a madman every where you go.

Thanks for your opinion but I'll take it for just that. It has nothing to do with me wanting cleaner rims vs. a tuned car. If that was the case, I wouldnt have bought a 535i.

The shudder is NOT my ABS kicking in. I know what that feels like. You dont know where I am driving so back off of the assumptions. Stopping from 90mph to 20mph is pretty quick, regardless of the location.....go take a drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
mrbrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

I installed some Axxis pads on my Acura TL, to replace the Brembo pads, and I hated them. While there was less dust, they squeaked and squaked like a mother and while I never had a shutter, I don't think they stopped as well as the stock brembos. I just didn't want to pay 350 dollars for break pads at the dealer, so I went with the Axxis pads. I personally will stick with stock pads from now on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

I had Axxis Ultimates on my M3s for street use and found the performance great with much less dust than OEM. I also used the Ultimates for light duty track days and they were quite good to a point. I would give the Ultimates a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Your rotors are a little warped if your steering wheel is vibrating when you feel the shudder. If that's the case, have them turned at a shop and you'll have a smooth stopping experience again.
      01-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

I agree that it's probably your rotors being a bit warped. I have Axxis Deluxe pads, and love them. Braking power is the same as OEM, but they aren't as 'grabby' as OEM. This is a good thing because it helps me modulate the brake pedal better. And of course, my wheels look like new all the time.

Did you properly bed the brake pads in when you installed them?

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
I agree that it's probably your rotors being a bit warped. I have Axxis Deluxe pads, and love them. Braking power is the same as OEM, but they aren't as 'grabby' as OEM. This is a good thing because it helps me modulate the brake pedal better. And of course, my wheels look like new all the time.

Did you properly bed the brake pads in when you installed them?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
I had Axxis Ultimates on my M3s for street use and found the performance great with much less dust than OEM. I also used the Ultimates for light duty track days and they were quite good to a point. I would give the Ultimates a try.
I also have praise for the Axxis Ultimates. They dust less than the stock ones, but way more than the Deluxe versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Your rotors are a little warped if your steering wheel is vibrating when you feel the shudder. If that's the case, have them turned at a shop and you'll have a smooth stopping experience again.
1. It's probably not the rotors, which very rarely get warped. It's most likely that hard stopping has deposited pad material unevenly on the rotors. This happens because the temperature of the rotor/pad exceeds the max recommended temp. I would never dream of downgrading the pads on the 335, especially if modified.

Happened to me when I used incorrect pads on track. You might or might not be able to get rid of them via very gentle braking so the brakes don't get very hot, and by using a much harder pad compound. On my friend's M3 with expensive Euro rotors, we had to install race pads (which never get hot on the street and are rock hard) to get rid of these deposits.

If you decide to try out the track pads, be warned: there aren't many track pads available for the 335, and you may end up paying too much for something that you won't use often.

I would advise you to put the stock pads back and brake gently for 1-2 weeks. If you still have the vibration, get a new set of rotors.

2. BMW rotors cannot be turned and you should not do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have to agree my Axxis pads are awesome, no shudders...I also think its your rotors that are warped...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I have to agree my Axxis pads are awesome, no shudders...I also think its your rotors that are warped...
No warped rotors here. I re-bedded the pads today per Dave Zeckhausen and its like new pads all over again. Wonder how they get "unbedded" like that?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
No warped rotors here. I re-bedded the pads today per Dave Zeckhausen and its like new pads all over again. Wonder how they get "unbedded" like that?
Nice, glad to see it worked out for you. No idea how they got unbedded though.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Anybody who thinks brake judder is caused by warped rotors should read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Pretty interesting read...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

put stock pads back on and took it to the dealership. They replace all four rotors and brake pads at no charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRC View Post
Agree 100%, if you are willing to live with cleaning your wheels once in a while then go Ultimates. The stopping power is greatly improved with no noise penalty.

Ultimately it will always come down to show or go.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Anybody who thinks brake judder is caused by warped rotors should read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Pretty interesting read...
That is correct for that situation they mention. Once you have the deposits/metalogical hardening, you need to resurface the rotors. I cut rotors all the time and they do warp, the term is just used to loosley. You can actually see a warped rotor (and sometimes it's the hat) while on the lathe and is measurable by a run out gauge. But in the end you need to cut em or replace em. And never spray a hot rotor with water!
Appreciate 0