E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > IS-Fail Part Deux

03-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

IS-Fail Part Deux

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090310....is-f-evolution

Can't kill the M3 with the IS-F so back to the drawing board. Fail part 2.

BTW, I feel sorry for the suckers who bought the first iteration of the IS-Fail.
      03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

$180,000 U.S Dollars?

LMAO

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

"a starting price somewhere in the region of 180,000 US dollars"
That's not going to sell...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

wait..did i read that right?

180k us

ok toyota...put the crack pipe down
      03-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

thats just speculation. No way they would find the economy bad enough to delay a 100k V10 supercar, but approve a 120k upgrade to the ISF. This article is a joke. Toyota has better business sense that this.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
thats just speculation. No way they would find the economy bad enough to delay a 100k V10 supercar, but approve a 120k upgrade to the ISF. This article is a joke. Toyota has better business sense that this.

It is just likely a misquote not $180K but $80K....still....that is a rip off.
      03-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

BTW, I feel sorry for the suckers who bought the first iteration of the IS-Fail.
Just curious, have you actually driven the IS-F?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Lexus always played second fiddle, they admit it themselves by selling the 5 Series sized FWD ES at $34,000. And nobody is paying $80,000 for that CSL wannabe.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
i have, on a track as well....it really is a let down...the m3 is the better car
      03-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:

Why do you feel sorry for those suckers? I happen to have met 3 people that bought an IS-F over the past 8 months. They picked it over the M3 because the interior is leagues better and they have ZERO problems keeping it out of warranty. GL with maintaing and keeping a 8400rpm V8 M3 to 100k plus miles if you wanted to. It was written somewhere that Toyota requires that all of their cars make it to 200,000miles reliably. Sure the M3 is the better performing sports sedan. I'm almost positive you wont be able to see a performance gap on the street.
      03-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Why do you feel sorry for those suckers? I happen to have met 3 people that bought an IS-F over the past 8 months. They picked it over the M3 because the interior is leagues better and they have ZERO problems keeping it out of warranty. GL with maintaing and keeping a 8400rpm V8 M3 to 100k plus miles if you wanted to. It was written somewhere that Toyota requires that all of their cars make it to 200,000miles reliably. Sure the M3 is the better performing sports sedan. I'm almost positive you wont be able to see a performance gap on the street.
The interior on the IS-Fail is not better, not at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
You got to pay to play..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Yes it is.

If I was looking for a car in that price range. I rather grab the C63.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Yeah right! I've had considerable seat time and the interior of the Lex is much nicer. That dosent mean I would pick IS-F over the M3. No way no how!! The leather is so freakin soft in the Lexus though. Its like leather on top of leather. I'm not saying the BMW is terrible. Its just spartan and harder looking in its execution. Every 'rag backs me up with this one. Just one man's opinion though.
      03-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
You got to pay to play..

Yes it is.

If I was looking for a car in that price range. I rather grab the C63.
I agree that in most cases you gotta pay to play. Some people would rather not though when its not necessary. I would bet A LOT of money that in the long run the IS-F will be more reliable than the //M3. I know this not b/c a little man whispered in my ear. I'm just looking at both companies philosophies and where their priorities like. Just look at the histories and reports. Toyota's CEO had to apologize publically when its standards dipped about 8yrs ago(super embarassing). Its a totally different culture over there. Anyhow, it is an incredible first effort in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how competitive the next piece will be.

On another note, have you ever driven a C63?!?!?! Ouch man. That car rides so damn rough. Its ridiculous for 60k+ I drove two of them in a day at the AMG event. It feels VERY heavy when your driving around town. Powerful as all hell but not fun IMO. :-(
      03-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
Yes.

Quote:

It (the alleged M3 killer) has been out for a year and they put an Evo on top of it??.....yes I feel sorry for the owners for Lexus' betrayal of the owner's loyalty.

Please don't compare this to the M3 vs. M3 CSL. Lexus doesn't have the chops to compete with the M3 thus the Evo.
      03-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

It (the alleged M3 killer) has been out for a year and they put an Evo on top of it??.....yes I feel sorry for the owners for Lexus' betrayal of the owner's loyalty.

Please don't compare this to the M3 vs. M3 CSL. Lexus doesn't have the chops to compete with the M3 thus the Evo.
I cant tell if you're being serious or not. How did Lexus betray their owner's loyalty?!?! lol
      03-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I cant tell if you're being serious or not. How did Lexus betray their owner's loyalty?!?! lol

If you bought an ISF, would you not be pissed Lexus introduced an Evo on top of it?? Lots of Japanese car fanbois thought the first ISF would be on par with the M3.... The Evo looks competitive finally. What was the first ISF, an undershoot?
      03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
If you bought an ISF, would you not be pissed Lexus introduced an Evo on top of it?? Lots of Japanese car fanbois thought the first ISF would be on par with the M3.... The Evo looks competitive finally. What was the first ISF, an undershoot?
I honestly wouldnt be mad. Wanna know why? Because its vaporware. I dont always have to have the car on top of the heap. I would never be satisfied with anything in life if that was the case. Toyota could testing this for the midcycle refresh. Maybe they're getting an early start and doing some testing. The whole point of Lexus is being a bit cheaper than its German competitors. The alleged 180k is waay too much.

Another reason I would be cool is because my ''lowly IS-F" would still be the fastest and have more soul than 98% of the bland Lexus/Toyota line up.

That Lexus LF-A thats still "on track'' is what should be interesting. What BMW will be capable of competiting with it? None.
      03-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #19
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
without using the term fanboy i will agree with you

i was hoping the isf would be a success and challenge the m3...but sadly it didnt..oddly enough my M coupe is faster around the top gear track against the isf.

i dont like the looks either..lexus could of done better

but this is, afterall, their first try. next time around i think they can do better.
      03-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I honestly wouldnt be mad. Wanna know why? Because its vaporware. I dont always have to have the car on top of the heap. I would never be satisfied with anything in life if that was the case. Toyota could testing this for the midcycle refresh. Maybe they're getting an early start and doing some testing. The whole point of Lexus is being a bit cheaper than its German competitors. The alleged 180k is waay too much.

Another reason I would be cool is because my ''lowly IS-F" would still be the fastest and have more soul than 98% of the bland Lexus/Toyota line up.

That Lexus LF-A thats still "on track'' is what should be interesting. What BMW will be capable of competiting with it? None.

You dare bring up "Vaporware" and the LF-A in the same post?

Toyota just got a new chief and he is frowning on unprofitable projects. What do you think is going to happen to the LF-A? It is going behind the woodshed and the new CEO is bringing a shovel.

Look at Honda's shooting of the new NSX.

BMW is ahead of the game on being fiscally responsible. They shot the CS and any notions of a Supercar. It gives me heartburn they are wasting the resources of the ///M division on stupid, fast trucks but it will be profitable.

BTW, do you honestly believe that BMW couldn't build a supercar. Let's ask another question....between BMW and Toyota, who has had more F1 wins and podiums?
      03-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #21
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
I doubt that thing will ever see showrooms since it's been "on track" for years and nothing has come of it. At this rate, the V8TT M3 will already be out by the time it hits production. For a car that takes that long to develop, it had better have (2009) GTR-caliber performance for the money. Anything less will just be LF-AIL
      03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

Most could careless if it can't kill M3. They know the statistics before they bought the car. People who buy Lexus buy it for a complete different reason.
Appreciate 0