E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Indy Shop Recommendations in Chicagoland area

03-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Indy Shop Recommendations in Chicagoland area

Hey guys, as the says, I'd appreciate recommendations of Indy Shops that you guys have been to and have had good results. I need my thermostat and Waterpump changed. I'd like to use my 3rd party warranty so preferably shops that will work with you on 3rd party. Thanks.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
unjukeable
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

whats the 3rd party warranty? I had max care and took it to the dealer and they dealt with everything....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjukeable View Post
whats the 3rd party warranty? I had max care and took it to the dealer and they dealt with everything....
I can't remember what company it is. I have to check when I get home. I took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me that they need to charge me 4 hours of labor @ $140/hr to "figure out what's wrong" Even though I pulled the code and know exactly what's wrong. I'd like to avoid stealerships at all costs. I did take my car to an indy shop (won't say who as I know many people have had positive things to say). They said they would work with my warranty and they would take care of it. However, 2 months later I have never received a call from them and I've followed up with them at least 15 times. every time, they say they need to call back the warranty and see what's up. I think they just rather not deal with the warranty which I know could be a pain in the ass.

So, I'm looking for another that people have had success with.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
skeetx3
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

If you're still looking for a reputable shop, I would check out NCA Motorsports in Morton Grove right off of Dempster. I've taken my car to The Werk Shop, Browns Motor Works, and a few other places but none of them compare to the service you'll get at NCA. They get it right the first time without all the guessing on trying to "figure out what's going on." I think they deal with 3rd party warranties too. I drive all the way down from the Wisconsin/ Illinois border because of Tony and Jesse because they really know their stuff. Plus after they're done they do a walk around with you on your car and show you the parts they've replaced. They'll let you know what they think you should be on the look out for as far as preventative maintenance too. You can tell they take pride in their work, at least I could. Plus they don't try and bend you over like the stealerships do. Anyways check them out for yourself, you wont be disappointed.
      03-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
A-spec tuning
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Zima Motorsports in Bridgeview

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetx3 View Post
If you're still looking for a reputable shop, I would check out NCA Motorsports in Morton Grove right off of Dempster. I've taken my car to The Werk Shop, Browns Motor Works, and a few other places but none of them compare to the service you'll get at NCA. They get it right the first time without all the guessing on trying to "figure out what's going on." I think they deal with 3rd party warranties too. I drive all the way down from the Wisconsin/ Illinois border because of Tony and Jesse because they really know their stuff. Plus after they're done they do a walk around with you on your car and show you the parts they've replaced. They'll let you know what they think you should be on the look out for as far as preventative maintenance too. You can tell they take pride in their work, at least I could. Plus they don't try and bend you over like the stealerships do. Anyways check them out for yourself, you wont be disappointed.
NCA is pretty close to me. Definitely giving them a call. Appreciate it.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

good info in this thread. OP.. dude you gotta stop parking in the same spot when it rains bro! 3 flooded cars in a row? thats terrible

i have a buddy in glenview whose entire street turns into a mini river when it rains bad. gotta watch that weather forecast.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambat View Post
good info in this thread. OP.. dude you gotta stop parking in the same spot when it rains bro! 3 flooded cars in a row? thats terrible

i have a buddy in glenview whose entire street turns into a mini river when it rains bad. gotta watch that weather forecast.
Haha. I'm in Des Plaines. First flood was in 09. No one expected that. 2 cars gone. Last year, I was in NY on business. However, the neighbors were very informative. lol. I wasn't even let into my neighborhood when i got back for the next month. All cars were in the garage. Terrible indeed. Attached is the picture of what my neighborhood looked like last year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

i remember the floods in 09, those did a lot of damage to this entire area. hopefully you don't have to deal with that again!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetx3 View Post
I know I am late to the game on this, but I have to STRONGLY DISAGREE with this...
I have the exact opposite experience of this. The shop owner, Tony, was rude and crude to most of his customers, where the work was overpriced and mostly subpar.

I went early early March this year for some really simple maintenance since my car just hit 30k, which includes brake change and flush, spark plugs, coolant and oil change, steering fluid change, and engine and AC filter change, and OFHG change. The shop/Tony charged me $1000 for labor with $100 for a new ignition coil that they broke when changing my spark plugs (found out later ECS sells the same ones for $50). If they didn't have my car already, I would have drive straight off the lot.

They didn't change the OFHG, since they said it was leaking while it was clearly seeping oil, my coolant was underfilled, while my power steering fluid was way overfilled, wheel lugs are way over torqued (I have to stripped 3 of them when I tried to untighten them later on). Now I suspect that those positive yelp and bimmershops reviews are probably fake or done by friends/relatives of that shop... I really hope there is a special place in hell reserved for people running a shop like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
^So where did you end up going now for work?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
^So where did you end up going now for work?
DIY for stuff I can do on jacks. If not I go to A-spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
I know I am late to the game on this, but I have to STRONGLY DISAGREE with this...
I have the exact opposite experience of this. The shop owner, Tony, was rude and crude to most of his customers, where the work was overpriced and mostly subpar.

I went early early March this year for some really simple maintenance since my car just hit 30k, which includes brake change and flush, spark plugs, coolant and oil change, steering fluid change, and engine and AC filter change, and OFHG change. The shop/Tony charged me $1000 for labor with $100 for a new ignition coil that they broke when changing my spark plugs (found out later ECS sells the same ones for $50). If they didn't have my car already, I would have drive straight off the lot.

They didn't change the OFHG, since they said it was leaking while it was clearly seeping oil, my coolant was underfilled, while my power steering fluid was way overfilled, wheel lugs are way over torqued (I have to stripped 3 of them when I tried to untighten them later on). Now I suspect that those positive yelp and bimmershops reviews are probably fake or done by friends/relatives of that shop... I really hope there is a special place in hell reserved for people running a shop like this.
When I was looking for a shop to do some work, I did give this place a call due to a recommendation from forum members. And I agree with you. The guy was rude as hell on the phone and sounded like he had no interest in me as a customer. I ended up just doing the work myself at home. i don't know what it is about mechanics but majority seem to be this way.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
When I was looking for a shop to do some work, I did give this place a call due to a recommendation from forum members. And I agree with you. The guy was rude as hell on the phone and sounded like he had no interest in me as a customer. I ended up just doing the work myself at home. i don't know what it is about mechanics but majority seem to be this way.
I think the problem with mainstream shops is that they can get away with a lot of things, since 90% of drivers out there knows nothing about their cars. They just don't give a shit about losing small percentage of customers that can actually notice the crap jobs that they do.

A-spec has been pretty good for all the work they have done on my car. They are just a little hard to get hold of from time to time since it is only a 2 man operation there. Zima seems like a decent shop too.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #16
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
I'm headed to A-Spec on Friday for a walnut blast, oil cooler housing install and dyno. Planning on both pre and post walnut blast dyno's. Will share my experience and results afterward.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
I'm headed to A-Spec on Friday for a walnut blast, oil cooler housing install and dyno. Planning on both pre and post walnut blast dyno's. Will share my experience and results afterward.
what time will you be there? I will be there putting my car on the dyno!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
No way! I'm dropping my car off tonight (Thurs night), so I'm not going to be there until later in the day tomorrow to pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Was your M3 already at A-Spec? I was chatting with Sean and Brad for a bit and they said they had an E92 M3 in the back that they were dynoing tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Was your M3 already at A-Spec? I was chatting with Sean and Brad for a bit and they said they had an E92 M3 in the back that they were dynoing tomorrow.
yup thats me
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

isnt A spec a RX7 place....

or mainly thats what they work on?
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
isnt A spec a RX7 place....

or mainly thats what they work on?
The tech at VS went to A-spec after VS closed down last year, so they do a lot of BMWs now.
Appreciate 0