E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

01-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #287
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

Just replaced tcu in my car, sos error and non functioning bluetooth was the issue. Picked up used tcu off eBay, installed and all functions returned. Only issue is name of car bluetooth device on pairing screen is different than car device name on phone paring screen. I did not feel the need to breakout the coding setup to make them match. Glad to answer any questions or assistance anyone if I am able.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #288
thenameskam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Been wanting to do this for some time.. my e82 does not have VC or Idrive, but it is prewired for the MIC and Bluetooth already and has the USB/Aux. I already swapped the wires in the trunk per this instruction. Will this work the same with with mine even though it isn't Idrive/VC? I haven't gotten to pulling the glove box out yet but just noticed the thread said it was for idrive/VC cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #289
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Some questions:

1) I installed the stock antenna under the drivers side panel. Do I reconnect the most connector to the plug on the panel after I installed the purple/black plug?

2) in the trunk, after I've swapped the mic wiring, what should be left plugged into the MULF? Just the rewired blue connector and the bare metal round plug? Nothing else?

I had the coding done month ago, and I could connect my phone if I were in the trunk with it. But now after I installed the antenna and rewired the MULF, bluetooth is disconnected, and I can't recheck the box. I've also lost aux in, USB functionality and radio sound. BT is grayed out.

What did I do wrong? I thought at this stage I should be able to connect from the drivers seat and all that should be left is repinning the mic behind the glovebox

Last edited by AWD Addict; 02-01-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #290
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Turns out my issue was simply that I didn't plug all the items back into the MULF after rewiring the microphone wires into the blue plug. The instructions from the OP here said to unplug everything, but then only said to plug 2 of the items back in.

After I plugged the MOST and other black connector back in, bluetooth was live with great connectivity.

Just need to finish wiring the mic behind the glovebox (which looks like a job for someone with much smaller hands than mine!) and I'll be all set.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #291
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Got the mic rewired behind the glove box. This was easily the worst part of the retrofit, only because at least on my car, the braid for the plug was so short, I couldn't even spin it to see the wire pinouts behind it. Cutting back the sheathing helped a little, but not a lot.

There simply wasn't enough space to get two hands in there to pop loose the pins, pull them out, and hold the plug in place. Never mind how hard it was to get light in there, given my fat ass needed the entire footwell to position myself well enough to work on the plug.

I actually has to tape the male plug to the metal rail behind the glovebox, so I could use one hand to pop the pins loose, and the other to tug them free. Total pain in the ass.

All buttoned up now though. works flawlessly. Great BT signal from the stock location and antenna, and the mic works great. In fact, test call said I sounded loud. Speaking normal/soft still comes through really clear on the other end.

Controls are okay on the nav. Modern phones and their voice control is way slicker. Things have come a long way in 9 years!

Big ups to lazd for the tutorial. Only complaint is that after you unplug everything on the MULF for the rewiring, the tutorial should say to plug in more than just the blue plug and the antenna. The MOST plug and the other black wire also need to be replugged in.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 02-12-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #292
Rubiks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318d se

bluetooth not able to code

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
I would like to add on instructions for self-coding for those who are attempting to do the coding themselves.

All coding is done using NCS Expert's expert profile (expertmodus)
1. Add $644 to the VO and do FA_WRITE to both CAS and NFRM.
2. After finishing step 1, change ECU to 2RAD (radio professional) and change job to SG_CODIEREN then execute job.
3. After the radio has restarted, pressing the menu button should show an addtional "TEL" option.
4. Press the "TEL" option and make sure BT is turned on.
5. Scan for bluetooth devices and you should see a device named "BMW XXXXX" where "XXXXX" is the last 5 numbers of your VIN.
6. Pair your phone with the radio and it'll be done.

IF the above steps does not work, let the car go into sleep mode (takes about 16 minutes) and try to pair the phone again.

IF after sleep mode it still doesn't work, search for revtor's NCSexpert profile and use this profile for coding.
Hi ,added $644 to cas and frm,can not change ecu to rad 2 as i can not find rad2.
my car is e91 lci ,09/2008 usb on armrest came with car but had cic retrofited by changing the hole dash. the mulf2 high was on there so added bt antenna and pins 1,19 and 21 for microphone but can not find rad 2.
can you plz help me, going mad here
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #293
Rubiks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiks View Post
Hi ,added $644 to cas and frm,can not change ecu to rad 2 as i can not find rad2.
my car is e91 lci ,09/2008 usb on armrest came with car but had cic retrofited by changing the hole dash. the mulf2 high was on there so added bt antenna and pins 1,19 and 21 for microphone but can not find rad 2.
can you plz help me, going mad here
Thank you
ok coded all car and telephone up and running without problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #294
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #295
nawtwrong
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Hey guys, I just attempted this retrofit, I seem to be stuck at the coding part.

HARDWARE:
-2007 E92 335i
-no Idrive, with USB and with phone prep (acoording to options list)
-MULF2-HI (small sticker, no bluetooth logo) in the trunk
-no antenna wire in the footwell, wired my own dipole antenna in the trunk
-Mic wires taken from TCU patch into MULF connector.

CODING:
Added $664 to the FA and wrote to CAS and NFRM
Did SG_CODIEREN to the 2URAD and 2MULF
Did SG_Reset to both 2URAD and 2MULF

PROBLEM:
My radio shows a "phone" option but instead of a phone icon above it, it has 2 dashes there:

- -
Phone

When i press the button, nothing happens for a while and then the radio behaves like the button next to "phone" was pressed (shows BC menu)

Any Ideas about how to fix this? I read people had success coding with a blank .man, but my understanding is that their phone option didn't show at all. In my car it seems like the radio knows about the BT, but the MULF doesn't respond, so the readio picks the next best option (Literally).

Thanks guys!
Sorry to jump on an old thread but having searched the forums, this describes my problem exactly.

I have 2007 E92, USB, MULF2 (no iDrive). Added microphone, not hooked up bluetooth antenna yet.
  • Added $644 to VO
  • FA_WRITE on CAS and NFRM
  • SG_CODIEREN on RAD2 (using revtor's NCSexpert profile)

Also tried, SG_RESET on RAD2 and SG_RESET on MULF2

I have the tel icon with 2 dahses, nothing happens when I press it. Scanning for bluetooth devices on my phone finds nothing.

Is this something silly like not having the antenna hooked up yet? - Currently waiting for a cable to arrive.

I'm using NCS Expert 4.0.1 on Win10 64. have also tried on Win7 64.

Some people have mentioned writing the full car with a blank .MAN (using revtor profile), then doing an SG_RESET on the whole car. That sounds a bit drastic to me as others have had success doing as I have above.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #296
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You might want to post this in the coding subforum

You might want to post this in the coding subforum
to.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post19088745

I would print out the rad and mulf files and see if bluetooth is
enabled.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-10-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #297
nawtwrong
Rep

Thanks, will do that.

I did also try setting bluetooth from nicht_aktiv to aktiv after reading RAD2 and creating a MAN file then writing back to the car.

A few people have mentioned using a blank MAN file on MULF2 and doing SG_CODIEREN so will try that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #298
nawtwrong
Rep

I'm getting there...

Had another look in the vehicle order and in my haste to get this working, I'd added codes $644 and $620 after following another tutorial.

$620 is for voice control which I assumed I'd be able to add as I have the button for it.

Removed $620, updated VO on CAS and NFRM and tel icon was now activated (no dashes under icon).

There must have been conflict somewhere. I would like to add voice control if possible but how do I tell if it's supported?

The phone wouldn't pair at first so I let the car sleep for 15 minutes came back and was able to pair.

The microphone is not working as I discovered when making a test call but I think that might be down to my wiring so I'm going to check the connectors again.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #299
crediblesport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

So, after reading this and many other threads, I am still stuck. 2011 335Is with MULF2, Voice input, Nav, USB input. And its a convertible if that makes a difference (it did with my homelink retrofit)

Added the BT antenna, and coding. Phone can connect and make calls, however, they cannot hear me unless I speak through the phone, and now the Voice command can no longer hear me. Started digging and the connector is not next to the fuse box as described by OP. Is it connected to the back of the the CIC head?

I'm assuming I have to do a some wire swapping...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Last 8 of VIN BE569508

This is my first rodeo with this stuff so bare with me...

Connector on MULF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc2dvsgfen...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Fuse Box
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nvldqnylq...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #300
nawtwrong
Rep

I've run into another problem with this :-( Really hoping someone can help me out.

In my attempt to get the microphone working, I realised I had connected 2 of the pins incorrectly. To determine this I disconnected the car battery and used a multi-meter to trace the wires I'd run back to the MULF.

Connected everything correctly, reconnected the battery and the dreaded dashes had appeared under the phone icon again!

Checked with NCS expert and the $620 option had reappeared in the VO so I removed that and Did FA_WRITE on CAS and NFRM then SG_CODIEREN with blank .MAN file on 2RAD.

It was then that I noticed that my USB was also not working, (2 dashes, no response). There is a USB stick in the slot and it was working before.

Looked at VO again, option for USB is there ($6FL).

Have tried SG_CODIEREN and SG_RESET on 2RAD multiple times and can't get USB/Bluetooth back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #301
excel
Rep
Drives: 328i

Thanks lazd and others for the very helpful post. I was able to get this working on a 2008 E90 with USB and telephone preparation but no iDrive. The only difference was that I needed to install the microphone in the FZD because without iDrive I don't have $620 (voice control).

A few tips on coding - I followed this post to get $644 added to my VO:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520244

Then this one to reset the MULF and 2URAD:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=765036&page=3

After that the telephone option appeared instantly.

Some notes on the wiring.
  • I found the shield cable in my car was dark grey, not clear.
  • I didn't have as many wires going into the plug behind the glovebox. Instead of removing them all, I just moved pins 4->3, 5->1, 6->2 as per the BMW document.
  • The wire for the bluetooth antenna in the footwell was tucked behind the plastic panel on the left.
  • The 3 wire bundle going into the TCU connector was too short to reach the MULF. I had to cut and solder extensions to the 3 wires.
  • Removing the FZD was easy by unscrewing the 2 visor clips, pulling down the headliner in the centre and pushing the 2 metal clips toward the back of the car.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by excel; 06-02-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #302
Marv17
Rep
Drives: 1997 Alaska Blue E36 318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
So I have the prep wires for phone and currently have voice control. Given the large connector I have is white and not blue - can anyone confirm this will still work if I buy the MULF2?

Here is a pic of the wires I have:

Also will this allow for streaming BT audio as well?
I have this bundle of cables as well. I don't have the blue plug. What do I have to do to make the bluetooth work? Everything else is connected; the antenna under the driver side footwell and the microphone.

Am I missing something or am I not able to do the bluetooth add-on?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #303
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
[*]The 3 wire bundle going into the TCU connector was too short to reach the MULF. I had to cut and solder extensions to the 3 wires.
I had this issue as well. I was able to take the MULF2 out of the mounting bracket and spin it 180 degrees and things were able to just barely reach. I had to unhook the clasp that was holding the wire bundles in place.

Also, for the BT antenna wire I shaved the ridge off the MULF2 with an exacto knife do I did not have to remove the clasp piece from the wire itself (allows the antenna cable to fully attach to the MULF2).

I'm still having no luck coding the radio successfully in my 2008 328xi using the SG_RESET method on 2URAD and MULF2 modules that this posted linked to.

UPDATE: It turns out I was successful enabling Bluetooth with the method linked by @excel above. Car must have had to sleep longer than I expected as I found it today while poking around.

Last edited by martinm0; 06-01-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #304
sword
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 2010 - 316i

Hi all
I am from Egypt, I have E90 LCI 2010 -316i
I don't know if my care is Bluetooth capable or not?
Plus I heard that there are some special HU with Bluetooth embedded, but I don't know how to know it from serial number ?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #305
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048129
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #306
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
I had this issue as well. I was able to take the MULF2 out of the mounting bracket and spin it 180 degrees and things were able to just barely reach. I had to unhook the clasp that was holding the wire bundles in place.

Also, for the BT antenna wire I shaved the ridge off the MULF2 with an exacto knife do I did not have to remove the clasp piece from the wire itself (allows the antenna cable to fully attach to the MULF2).

I'm still having no luck coding the radio successfully in my 2008 328xi using the SG_RESET method on 2URAD and MULF2 modules that this posted linked to.

UPDATE: It turns out I was successful enabling Bluetooth with the method linked by @excel above. Car must have had to sleep longer than I expected as I found it today while poking around.
I finally got this sorted out and working. My 2008 328xi non-iDrive/non-BMW Assist needed the mic and antenna to be installed, had to swap wires in the trunk for the MULF2 and plug in the antenna cable, as well as swapping wires around behind the glove box. I did not have to do any of the cabling in the rear seat bolster (though I still dug in there to confirm). Just had to add $644 to the VO and reset some modules (and then wait) and its now all working!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #307
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

mulf 2 hi doesn't due A2DP bluetooth wireless music , you must have idrive
and a combox to do the OEM retrofit for that.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #308
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
mulf 2 hi doesn't due A2DP bluetooth wireless music , you must have idrive
and a combox to do the OEM retrofit for that.
Oh well, thanks!

(for those who read this later, i deleted my response just before ctuna replied to me... i want A2DP without idrive, which seems to not be possible without just plugging in one of those cheapo bluetooth dongles into my aux in jack, since i don't have usb)
Appreciate 0