E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i E90 LCI – Experiences and review of various modifications (long!)

11-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #45
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Well, I already told you that I only made those videos for illustrative purposes and not to be of scientific value...so what exactly is your point? That my car is slower than yours because you have more bolt-ons and run a tune with more boost?

I really don't want to ruin your thread, but honestly, shouldn't your 399 crank hp's perform a little better than this?
Over 2 seconds slower 100-200 km/h is much, really much. Think about how long distance a car in 200 km/h will manage to travel in two seconds...

My car has 435 crank hp's, and believe me, those 36 hp shouldn't make a two second difference in such a short speed range...

Btw, the only differences in bolt-ons between our cars is that I have catless UR 2,5" DP's vs your catted AR 3"
and that you have an AR oilcooler & Forge DV's vs my stock ones...

Anyway, I wish you good luck with the Giac stage 2, which hopefully will make your car perform as it really should!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #46
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
B3 Lux...time to update your signature with all these great developments.

Forgot to mention and ask: The BMW performance rims are stunning looking & light. i have seen a drop in average fuel consumption since fitting them. But i also understand why BMW painted the rims on the inside - it gets dirty so damn quickly - you agree?

BMW - The BMW Performance Rims are lightweight double spoke (269) alloys. The colour is a beautifully crafted aluminium with a powder grey finish (on the inside) and spotless in design using low pressure casting. The diameter of the spokes allow more air to get to the brakes and maximising efficiency.

The low weight 19" rims are in fact much lighter than the standard 17" rims. I like the nice touch - wordmark embossed on the rim ‘BMW Performance’.
Thanks for the info on the rims - I do like them quite a lot, they look really cool on a dark car. And indeed I agree with you, they do tend to get dirty on the inside rather quickly. In particular in winter that's not so practical... But well, I bought them mostly for the looks, so I mustn't complain!

For the time being I can't really judge about fuel consumption, but they certainly are a lot better also at giving me a smooth ride than the stock 17" RFT I had on at the beginning of this year.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #47
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

hi Marcel,
was a pleasure to read your tread(s)! I choose a different route by upgrading the suspension first with 18" semi slicks. Tranforms the car. if you want to feel how it drives, come to the NS tomorrow or friday, I'm there

what are your plans regarding the diff? you've the same problem as I do I guess, welded... I'll ask my shop here tomorrow what they can do. will keep you posted if you want.

cheers,
from another Marcel
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #48
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
hi Marcel,
was a pleasure to read your tread(s)! I choose a different route by upgrading the suspension first with 18" semi slicks. Tranforms the car. if you want to feel how it drives, come to the NS tomorrow or friday, I'm there

what are your plans regarding the diff? you've the same problem as I do I guess, welded... I'll ask my shop here tomorrow what they can do. will keep you posted if you want.

cheers,
from another Marcel
Thanks for your post! As I spend quite a lot of kms on the Autobahn and less on the 'Ring, I got the flash first but will do the suspension next spring. Semi slicks must be great for the track! I'd love to take a ride with you in your car, but can't get away from work today or on Friday... Another time!

I'll be upgrading to a Quaife diff next spring, as Tony already wrote in his post I'll make a trip to the UK and will leave my car at Bird's for two days (at least that's the plan), where they'll install the Quaife and the M3 suspension bits (and maybe other things, but that will have to be determined). And yes, I guess I also have a welded diff and will have to get a complete final drive unit, but well that's the way it is. I'll go to Bird's as I wanted to visit the UK anyway and they've got the best reputation for these installs. Keep me updated on what you'll be doing!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #49
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your post! As I spend quite a lot of kms on the Autobahn and less on the 'Ring, I got the flash first but will do the suspension next spring. Semi slicks must be great for the track! I'd love to take a ride with you in your car, but can't get away from work today or on Friday... Another time!

I'll be upgrading to a Quaife diff next spring, as Tony already wrote in his post I'll make a trip to the UK and will leave my car at Bird's for two days (at least that's the plan), where they'll install the Quaife and the M3 suspension bits (and maybe other things, but that will have to be determined). And yes, I guess I also have a welded diff and will have to get a complete final drive unit, but well that's the way it is. I'll go to Bird's as I wanted to visit the UK anyway and they've got the best reputation for these installs. Keep me updated on what you'll be doing!

Alpina_B3_Lux
no problem, we do it next year! Ring was quite tricky. Parts of the track where moist, even at the end of the day. Not easy driving, especially not with semi slicks. But was fun again
I had several laps where I didn't see anybody. First time that happened.

I have to check regarding quaife. The DKG has a completely different ratio. Changing it with an other complete final drive would mean a big shortening of my gears, which I do not want. They DKG already has quite close gearing.
I am checking for other options as well. My shop near the NS offers "Lamelle" difs. Let's see when I receive the details.

By the way, the power kit doesnot provide enough cooling. It is less warm, but today the oil still went up to 135 degrees, and this with outside temperatures of 12 degrees... So I will need to get myself the VK oilcooler to finally resolve the issue completely.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #50
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Unbelieveble!! Can you come and modifie my car too??!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #51
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
no problem, we do it next year! Ring was quite tricky. Parts of the track where moist, even at the end of the day. Not easy driving, especially not with semi slicks. But was fun again
I had several laps where I didn't see anybody. First time that happened.

I have to check regarding quaife. The DKG has a completely different ratio. Changing it with an other complete final drive would mean a big shortening of my gears, which I do not want. They DKG already has quite close gearing.
I am checking for other options as well. My shop near the NS offers "Lamelle" difs. Let's see when I receive the details.

By the way, the power kit doesnot provide enough cooling. It is less warm, but today the oil still went up to 135 degrees, and this with outside temperatures of 12 degrees... So I will need to get myself the VK oilcooler to finally resolve the issue completely.
I think I'll go to the Ring several times next year, probably in April for the first time in 2010. Would be great if you could be there as well, along with all the gang from the UK! That will be during a week-end, though, and you can only dream of an empty track then...

I'm not surprised that without an additional oil cooler you see the temps still going to high on the track. I already assumed earlier on that an additional separate oil cooler is more efficient than a bigger water cooler - I can only assume that this solution may have been too expensive or complicated for BMW to offer (although then again Alpina offers it as an option...). If you track the car regularly, you may want to think about the ar design oil cooler that provides even more cooling. The only disadvantage is that it partially blocks the air intakes behind the grille, which is why I'll probably go with the STETT CAI in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
Unbelieveble!! Can you come and modifie my car too??!!
Well, I didn't do the mods myself, it was all done at a garage so I wouldn't be that much help to you! You can acquire all components of my modifications on the aftermarket, though, so if you would like to go down the same route it shouldn't be too complicated.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

would be fun, looking forward already! Now first a long dark winter....
not sure about a second oilcooler, as it is blocking airflow. With the VK one the temps should really be no issue. I was also thinking, that the oil temp is such a big issue, as I have DCT which is probably (almost sure) using the same oil for cooling, the same for the active steering...
changing air intake is a "no-go" here in Switzerland. The Swiss TüV (MFK) is a PITA. A drop-in is the only thing you can do here (legally).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #53
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
would be fun, looking forward already! Now first a long dark winter....
not sure about a second oilcooler, as it is blocking airflow.
Yes, that may be an issue (if you look at an installed ar design oil cooler you will see that it partially blocks both inlets) - which is why I'll be going with the STETT CAI within short.
Quote:
With the VK one the temps should really be no issue. I was also thinking, that the oil temp is such a big issue, as I have DCT which is probably (almost sure) using the same oil for cooling, the same for the active steering...
changing air intake is a "no-go" here in Switzerland. The Swiss TüV (MFK) is a PITA. A drop-in is the only thing you can do here (legally).
Yes, I can imagine that...I'll have to go to the TÜV in two years only, then I'll see whether a CAI will be an issue or not. I would assume (and hope) not, as only someone who knows the N54 very well will see that there's something not stock in the engine bay, and the CAI is well hidden (contrary to any DCI which is rather blatantly visible), all the tubing will be in black and therefore look stock to the untrained eye.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #54
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
UPDATE - review coming soon of mods installed last week:

- ar design catless DPs
- HJS secondary race cats (100 cells metal cats)
- UUC Motorwerks short shift kit + DSSR
- CDV delete
- transmission oil change to Royal Purple Synchromax

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #55
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
wow...you have been busy...look forward to the reviews...its going to be a good year for tuning
      01-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #56
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Awesome writeup. When I picked up my E92, the first mods were: B&M SSK, round shift knob, CDV and coilovers. This made the car a lot more fun to drive. Handles before power.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
Stanky19
Friends don't let friends early apex!
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Turbo Schnitzel"

Garage List
2007 E92 335I  [0.00]
great article, this forum needs more dedicated members like you!
      01-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #58
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
LSD will be one of the best mods you will ever make to a tuned 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #59
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
LSD will be one of the best mods you will ever make to a tuned 335i.
I also think so. I just postponed that particular mod until this spring for cash reasons and because I wanted to install the M3 parts as well (as they have to work on the undercarriage anyway). I'll be contacting you soon with respect to the latter...

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #60
raylandm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman

all the mods are making me smile but are hurting me at the same time (in a good way)....gotta get that second job!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #61
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
I also think so. I just postponed that particular mod until this spring for cash reasons and because I wanted to install the M3 parts as well (as they have to work on the undercarriage anyway). I'll be contacting you soon with respect to the latter...

Alpina_B3_Lux
LSD will be a great addition to your car, but instead of a Quaife unit, and would highly recommend getting a DiffsOnline custom built Salisbury style LSD. They are used in the Racing Dynamics / RD Sport RS46s (stroker E9X M3s).
      01-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #62
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Holy mod's batman.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #63
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
LSD will be a great addition to your car, but instead of a Quaife unit, and would highly recommend getting a DiffsOnline custom built Salisbury style LSD. They are used in the Racing Dynamics / RD Sport RS46s (stroker E9X M3s).
Quaife is fine with me and widely tested on the E9x - even though there might be other LSDs that are slightly better (like the Drexler or the original M3 diff, or also the one you mentioned), I do not believe my driving skills will really allow me to make out the difference. I also want a diff that is "install-and-forget" and does not need maintenance, so the Quaife is ideal for me.

Installation of it is scheduled for 19/20 February, along with the M3 suspension mods (front and rear) and Hartge sway bars.

I haven't updated this thread for a while - although I've the catless DPs, secondary race cats and UUC short shift kit installed for two weeks now - as the current weather conditions do not allow me to properly test everything. As soon as I have done that (maybe I'll also find the time to do some datalogging with the BT tool) I'll write up an additional review of those mods.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #64
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

great review man, pretty in depth.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #65
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Short update

UPDATE:

The following modifications have been done, pending review due to bad weather conditions:

• replacement of secondary cats by 100 cell endurance race cats from HJS Motorsport
• replacement of ar design downpipes with high flow cats by ar design catless downpipes with ceramic coating
• installation of short shift kit by UUC Motorwerks plus double shear selector rod
• modified Clutch Delay Valve by RissRacing

The following modifications are scheduled for 19/20 February:

• installation of Quaife limited slip differential
• installation of M3 suspension parts: front control arm kit = wishbones+tension rods; rear subframe bushings; rear guide rod kit; rear upper link kit; M3 anti-roll bars; see the website of HP Autowerks)

Other modifications that will be installed within short:

Methanol injection kit from Snow Performance with STETT charge pipe and (black) adapters for my Forge DVs

STETT Cold Air Intake

Reviews to come once I've had the time to try all of it out properly! (and that it stops snowing everywhere in Europe)

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #66
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Looks like the long dark winter is coming to an end!

But you will love snow with the Quaife!

Looking forward to review of how the ceramic coated DPs compare to catted version.
Appreciate 0