E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Did he deserve to be tazed?

View Poll Results: Did the kid at the Phillies game deserve to be tazed
Yes 72 76.60%
No 22 23.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

05-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #111
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #112
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was at an Angels/Dodgers game last year and somebody ran on the field. He jumped the gate right past a guard who was looking straight at him. He bolted around and a spry, strong-looking younger guy tried to horse collar him and he left the guy laying on the ground. Taser would have been a lot more fun . . . The guy who got jooked was PISSED the rest of the game.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #113
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah I'm just saying you never know. You can't just assume that every criminal you go after is harmless. There's a really good chance this kid doesn't have anything on him (talking from the perspective of before they caught him), but you can't be 100% sure.

Back in the day, he'd be facing strict punishment from his parents on top of the discipline received from law enforcement. Unfortunately, his parents will probably now just ground him to his bedroom with his computer, cell phone, and XBox. I'm sure that'll deter him from ever breaking the law again....
I was not disagreeing with you. I just envisioned the Gameboy tactic.

I talked smack to a cop when I was young and he punched me in the nose. I took it like a man and have never done it again.

This was long ago. Way before kids went screaming to mommy that someone was mean to them or "call a lawyer".
      05-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #114
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
So they should have let him go? If the security guards can't catch him on foot, they should just let it be, eh? That makes no sense. I take it you never played football or tag as a kid. Even when being pursued by people of equal skill, you have a distinct advantage in being able to count on a delay in reflex/reaction time on the part of your pursuers.

And how are you able to tell that he poses no threat to anyone who makes close personal contact with him?
No, they should have been able to tackle the kid. Come on, if 5 security guards can't grab a lil' drunk 17 year old, then they have no chance against a criminal who is actually there to cause real harm? At one point in the video, you see the dude in the white shirt be within an arm's length of the kid, he could have taken him down, but he did nothing. Lazy security guards, easy out with the taser.
      05-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #115
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I can't wait until some pregnant lady gets tazed at McDs for making a ruckus and you guys defend the cops.

I've had encounters with tazers. My friend has one.. he tazed some guy at a club. That dude was NOT alright.
the sound of the tazer when he activated was louder than the club's sound system (I was about 4-5 people away from my friend) and that guy was still feeling the effects around 30mins later after the cops were done and the amber lamps came.

deadly? I'm pretty sure he could have killed him with that thing. I doubt a tackle would leave you fucked up for 30mins+.

Ever since that experience, I've been against the use of tazers except for when really needed.
My friend didn't need to use a tazer. That shit was uncalled for and my buddy was a dick for doing it.
did he prevent a fight? yes.. but there were other ways. tazer was just easier and uncalled for.
      05-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #116
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
At first I was ticked at the cop. But what if the kid, who looks 30 and not 17 not that it matters, had a gun? He just did his job and has a pretty mean aim on the run too.
what a great shot hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #117
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I can't wait until some pregnant lady gets tazed at McDs for making a ruckus and you guys defend the cops.

I've had encounters with tazers. My friend has one.. he tazed some guy at a club. That dude was NOT alright.
the sound of the tazer when he activated was louder than the club's sound system (I was about 4-5 people away from my friend) and that guy was still feeling the effects around 30mins later after the cops were done and the amber lamps came.

deadly? I'm pretty sure he could have killed him with that thing. I doubt a tackle would leave you fucked up for 30mins+.

Ever since that experience, I've been against the use of tazers except for when really needed.
My friend didn't need to use a tazer. That shit was uncalled for and my buddy was a dick for doing it.
did he prevent a fight? yes.. but there were other ways. tazer was just easier and uncalled for.
You really have no idea what you're talking about. What does your highlighted statement even mean? Have you nothing other than your feeble opinion that he could have killed him? What other ways do you think could have avoided a fight? How long does a broken nose or missing teeth last? how about blown out knees or elbows? Longer than 30 minutes, I'm guessing. What makes you think cops should risk all the injuries on both sides of the issue when there is a better way? And what makes you think you are capable of deciding when Tasers are "really" needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
what a great shot hahaha.
It was an outstanding shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #118
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
You have obviously never played any contact sports. I have injuries that will stay with me my entire life due to collisions with other people, the ground, the boards, etc.... That's a little longer than 30+ minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #119
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

e90post = emopost
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #120
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:

You are unfortunately incorrect on many of your points:

Modern day tasers such as the one used on the teen (looks to be an Taser International X26) have absolutely ZERO residual effects once the cycle (5 seconds) is finished. You are left with two small (and I mean small) puncture wounds if/where the barbs enter your skin, but other than that, nothing. That's the beauty and the design of the product. Had the security tackled the boy, he could have easily been hurt. Broken bones, torn ligaments, sprains, dislocations, etc, but the only thing he suffered from being tased is nationwide humiliation for being a moron in the first place.

Furthermore, there have been no documented cases (AFAIK) where a taser was the direct cause of death. That is simply NOT how the product works. There have been cases where an underlying condition was present and the taser deployment may have exacerbated said condition, but no direct cause of death cases to my knowledge.

Have I been tased with a new unit? Yes. After effects? None. Hurts like FUCK when the cycle is running (the only way to describe it is the sensation of your muscle ripping away from your bones), but once it's done you feel NOTHING.

Your friend probably had an old "stun gun," one of those first-gen hand held devices. Those, along with the other first gen tasers would leave burn marks where it contacted the skin. Said marks would result in permanent scarring, but again, the residual effects were still little to nothing.

Last edited by san~man; 05-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: my spelling sux
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #121
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Here is a DoJ backed study which confirms that the use of Tasers is safer than other alternatives.

Any of you who think that the Taser is such a deadly weapon may be surprised to find out that injuries are prevented by using the Taser; they are not caused by it. Like mentioned previously, deaths occur due to previous conditions being present and exacerbated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #122
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

When we were really young I told my little brother to pee pee on an electric fence wire at our ranch.

He is fine to this day minus the little twitch.
      05-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #123
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
When we were really young I told my little brother to pee pee on an electric fence wire at our ranch.

He is fine to this day minus the little twitch.
Hahaha, that reminded me. Someone embed this por favor.

Oh and it's nsfw
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #124
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Yes, he deserved what he got.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #125
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

5 pages so tl;dr, but I don't see too much wrong with the kid being tazed. He made his bed by running amok. What if he was disgruntled and armed, or was on drugs. Can't blame security for bringing him down as fast as they could. If there's a problem with using tazer, shouldn't the stadium ban it's use? Security was overzealous but in the right.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #126
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

He deserved it. The kid knew he was risking getting messed up when he made the genius decision to jump the wall.

I also would have been ok with the copy giving him a roundhouse kick that knocked his ear to the other side of his head.
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0