E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > True Dual Cold Air Intake

02-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Yeah, but typically people don't do it when the filter element would be 1" from the exhaust manifold. I get the idea, on a previous car I turbo'd, I put a filter right on the turbo. No pipe, nothing, just 4" inlet filter clamped directly to turbo. But I had room and it was a top mount turbo. I don't see how it could be a good idea to put a filter that close to the manifold. On another car I turbo'd, we initially had the filter right next to the manifold. But when things got hot, car lost power. Air was so hot even with intercooler that the car was pulling timing. We added a pipe to move the filter from next to the manifold and everything was fine.

I'm curious, how would you even get a filter on the rear turbo?
Wouldn't be easy, maybe you put heat shielding on one side of each filter, run a short tube for the rear one. Just throwing out the slightly crazy idea that CAI's are not so much of an issue but all that piping might not be so great either.

BTW I see bottom mount e36 M3 single turbos with big filters right on the turbo, right next to/under the exhaust manifold too. Got me thinking about the N54 stock turbos and their convoluted intake plumbing is all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

With an aftermarket turbo, it's sometimes the only way to mount a filter. I had to relocated a battery and fusebox just to fit a turbo on my old car. And I ran just screen until I found a filter that worked, had to get one of those HKS mushroom style ones. Most aftermarket kits are built to just fit, they're not necessarily designed with other factors in mind.

Nothing wrong with venting to the atmosphere. Anyone with a BOV is basically doing that. My AA BOV vents to atmosphere. Not such a huge deal since we run a MAP sensor. If you have a MAF sensor, you'd have to account for that air somehow. But your diverter valves would not be diverter valves because technically, they're not diverting if you vent them to atmosphere. No need for filters either. The valves are closed until they vent, so nothing gets in. Notice that BOV's don't run filters since air only goes one way. No bugs or dirt can get in since they're closed most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Sounds like alot of work for minimal results unless you're able to cool the air down quite a bit. I would think that all that piping would decrease throttle response a bit as well. What do i know tho...

Their are numerous threads about testing differences in intake air temperature between BMS dci and stock air box. Many say that the DCI suffers from heat soak. However, the tests proved otherwise stating that the intercooler balances it all out. It will be interesting to see your results.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
WiscoGB54115
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Xdrive

Garage List
The biggest problem that I have run into is the rear turbo intake has to have the MAF. I also like to keep the stock diverter valves to keep costs down. The front turbo is quite easy to work with but the rear will have to keep some of the stock piping. There is just no easy way to put new piping up the back of the engine. As far as people being concerned with placement of filter and oil cooler, you can always mount the oil cooler in the face of the grill instead or even in the wheel archs. Right now I have a single intake tube that takes the two existing intakes and runs them into the front bumper as a single pipe. The turbo spool sounds is amazingly loud and I haven't dynoed to see improvements but, I'm thinking if I make it a true two track system running to two separate cold air locations I should see some improvement. I am aware that the turbo inlets are small because these turbos are small but, its worth a shot.
Appreciate 0