E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Flashed in AZ

10-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzOpsAZ View Post
This guy Radar Roy has a bunch of video reviews of radar detectors against photo radar. Basically they point the radar perpendicular to the road and at a lower level so it's harder to pick up.

In the end it doesn't matter...as everyone says just ignore it. They have to serve you and no points are assessed to your license. Just a way to get AZ's budget deficit smaller.
Thanks. I hope they notice the rental car's license plate is from Hawaii and just give up there... Do you think they have access to out of state license plates and who owns the car? If the ticket ever makes its way to the rental car agency, I'm guessing they'll just turn around and charge my credit card for it...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #24
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

usually it is k band but have been x once or twice, I think that the x might be a car with officer that i dd not see when i went by
      10-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
You can get a program for your iphone or Garmin that identifies where the fixed cameras are.
The iphone app is called Trapster, and will warn you of permanent photo radar sites, as well as temp photo vans that people have sent in notices for, in addition to spots where cops like to hang out with radar guns. Nice app. I believe you need a 3gs with GPS capability, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
The permanent cameras along the 101, 10 and 17 use the coils in the ground. I had a V1 pop2 and never pick up any laser. Its always K band. The bike cops and usually police cars use Ka and its very strong. The mobile stationary units use K as well. Its not very strong, and its difficult to pick out from all the random K noise from miscellaneous radar. You will only hear a couple beeps from the mobile 'stationary' parked cars on the side of the road before you are on the trap.

They have to serve you in order for the ticket to stick, they will give you an option of 'signing' which is the same as being served to say its you i'm paying or to fight and say its not you. Even if the picture they send to you is not a good one, DON'T FIGHT and sign by saying its not you. Because the cameras used in these types of traps are usually fairly high end DSLRs or similar that have a FANTASTIC picture of you, regardless of how your picture looks in the ticket. I've got 2 of these tickets sitting on top of my fridge and i've never been served. *knock knock*. Don't pay it, don't report it, and just leave it as it is. Its too easy to say you never received it in the mail or noticed you got flashed.

The red flash IS the speed cameras. They use red lights here. It must have something to do with helping the exposure of the picture at night. Also keep in mind they take a series of pictures, not just one. So they can see what you are doing slightly before and after that flash you will see. If you get flashed, that means you weren't paying attention. All the permanent cameras have a 1/2 mile big yellow sign that is made obvious that its a warning sign for a speed trap because it has a smaller rectangular sign that will say, "1/2 mile" and you will get a second sign that says, "300 feet". Then your on the camera about 2 seconds later. They will pop you going over about 7 mph above the limit. Almost all cameras are accurate gaurenteed to give or take 5 mph. Laser, not used often in this area, but if they catch you, you're screwed regardless. Get a V1 and a blinder. And mount the V1 properly to detect laser behind you as well. Good luck.

Last thing, they don't have to serve you. If ANYONE opens the door, a burglar anyone, they call that served. I know a friend that had several, and his room mate opened the door and they just threw the letter inside and walked away...served. Apparently these are not supposed to count, but that means you'll have to sign the paper just to find out if you can fight... Just don't pay and don't open the door for 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #27
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Here is a post from Venusian_Artist from City-data.com forum:

Quote:
A little background: I've been pulled over nine times in my life. I've received two speeding tickets, one I fought in court and won. I know how to spot and avoid speed traps; I know what to say and how to say it to avoid tickets.

I have a Valentine1 hard-wired to the roof of my car. It is the most sensitive portable radar detector known to man. I also have Laser Interceptor jammer diodes wired to the front of my car. I use them to jam police lidar--oh, the stories I could tell. I also have a Cheetah GPS rearview mirror. It has a database of all redlight cameras and fixed speed cameras in the Western world, based on filed engineer reports. I have it wired to my V1, to control the output warning signals, and filter false alarms.

You can't see any of this from outside my car, even if you're an officer peering through the window getting my information; it's all concealed. Yeah, I'm heavily invested in speed enforcement countermeasures.

To answer your question, here's a list of what I ask for when I appear in court:

1. A copy of the police operating manual for the radar unit--if the cops don't have this, they can't say that they know how to use the device.

2. The serial number and certification match of accuracy for the tuning fork.

3. A copy of the maintenance record for the last twelve months for the unit, matched by serial number.

4. A copy of the officer's certification through the police department to operate the unit.

5. A copy of the police department's official policy and procedure for radar equipment testing and operator training standards.

6. All engineering reports and studies performed in the determination of the posted limit on that section of Highway, including, but not limited to, the most recent 85th percentile speed measurement and any collision data used in the determination of the posted limit.

7. A listing of traffic tickets issued by the Officer for the month of citation, to include: date and time issued, alleged violation, and disposition, (if determined).

8. A total tally of all traffic tickets issued by the Police Department for the month of citation, to include: date issued, alleged violation, the DSN of the issuing officer, and disposition, (if determined).

Get the picture? Anyone looking for more info on how to fight a speeding ticket needs to hang out in my world: Radar Detector Jammer Forum will get you started. I post under the same user name there, but not recently.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...#ixzz0VNfLJNQ1
You also have the right to question your accuser. I don't think a camera can appear in court.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So we're down here on vacation in Scottsdale and we head down to Rawhide, by taking I-10. On the way down, a few flashes of red went off, and I thought "WTF? Maybe it's their way of telling people to slow down..."

Stupid naive me, it didn't even cross my mind they were speed cameras! F&#*!

So what am I expecting to get in terms of a fine? Oh, we had a rental car though. So being that it was a rental car, and I'm from Canada, would you pay it? I might not have a choice as the car rental agreement if I'm not mistaken obligates me to pay the fines / they just charge it to my card....

If they don't just charge it to my card, I've read on a few forums already people saying they need to physically serve you, so just ignore them.

Nice freakin' vacation...
So this letter now arrived in the mail today! F*&#! The car had a Hawaii license plate too, I thought they'd throw those out automatically?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #29
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Dont worry about it. You're not from AZ. Hell, your not even an American citizen. Just dont pay the thing. Its not a real ticket until a cop shows up at your door and serves you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #30
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

LOL, thanks! I plan on driving down there again though in the recent future, so didn't want to worry about anything in case I ever get pulled over and they have some thing on file for me! You hear crazy stories here about what the cops down south can do!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #31
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Nah. Your solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #32
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
LOL, thanks! I plan on driving down there again though in the recent future, so didn't want to worry about anything in case I ever get pulled over and they have some thing on file for me! You hear crazy stories here about what the cops down south can do!
I have multiple photo radar tickets. I've been pulled over and they never say anything. Remember, its not even a real ticket until you are served.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #33
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
One of the few things worrying me about making the move to Arizona. Can't you just do this (6:45):

Last edited by AllydNYC; 01-11-2010 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0