E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This place is..............

07-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #23
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

So is this the only part that most people visit? I still have a quick glance at the main UK section and sometimes the technical bit. Mainly just look here though.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep
Drives: On the hunt

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
So is this the only part that most people visit? I still have a quick glance at the main UK section and sometimes the technical bit. Mainly just look here though.

snap, off topic is the section to read and get involved
      07-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #25
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

TBH, and this is ONLY my opinion....the tech section is somewhat lacking. I dont know why....but B_Wland seems to have more bang in that respect. I would imagine that most people here would (and please take no offense at this) be the higher slaray bracket crew who can afford to buy new/very nearly new and rarely get stuck in. I would say a good amount of E9_ buyers now fall into the "I cannot afford to buy new and fuck no cant afford BMW to look at my car" bracket you see.

Would that be a fair comment?

Do people here not get as hands on as much?

I appreciate that E90post seems to focus on the community more than the actual workings of the motahs but if this place was deemed as the salvation and central technical resource for BMW ownership, then there is much more scope for people coming aboard and actually being grateful for said resource. From my experience elsewhere, when REAL help is given....proper (not just internet) friendships are made.

I guess you sussed I am a hands on kinda guy, even with the old BM but was left wanting for knowledge when I needed it, found that elsewhere. This place still plays a part in BMW ownership for me though, even if just for the banter.

With respect to my Clio.....cliosport.net is absolutely ESSENTIAL to Renault ownership and membership should come with all cars as standard. Massive amounts of tech knowledge there and very technical people too.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post

With respect to my Clio.....cliosport.net is absolutely ESSENTIAL to Renault ownership and membership should come with all cars as standard. Massive amounts of tech knowledge there and very technical people too.

Tell us more about this Clio mate, sounds very quick.
      07-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #27
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Mate, its faster than light........I passed it the other day and waved at myself aged 4........
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #28
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
TBH, and this is ONLY my opinion....the tech section is somewhat lacking. I dont know why....but B_Wland seems to have more bang in that respect. I would imagine that most people here would (and please take no offense at this) be the higher slaray bracket crew who can afford to buy new/very nearly new and rarely get stuck in. I would say a good amount of E9_ buyers now fall into the "I cannot afford to buy new and fuck no cant afford BMW to look at my car" bracket you see.

Would that be a fair comment?

Do people here not get as hands on as much?

I appreciate that E90post seems to focus on the community more than the actual workings of the motahs but if this place was deemed as the salvation and central technical resource for BMW ownership, then there is much more scope for people coming aboard and actually being grateful for said resource. From my experience elsewhere, when REAL help is given....proper (not just internet) friendships are made.

I guess you sussed I am a hands on kinda guy, even with the old BM but was left wanting for knowledge when I needed it, found that elsewhere. This place still plays a part in BMW ownership for me though, even if just for the banter.

I think it is a fair comment/assumption. There are a fair few mechanically knowledgeable types on here that are happy to help but I think most of those guys are still more likely to have a warrantied car.

I guess it's why I stay around here. If it was just full of people fixing problems and writing up how to's on how to take a car I don't even own apart i'd rarely visit.

The Audi forum sounds a bit like the Clio one. I was surprised by how common it was for people to buy the VCDS cable and start changing things on the car, it just doesn't seem to happen here. It's definitely a more fix/fit it on the driveway community but the chat is a bit poop.

Jinjur, in terms of a technical resource, the good thing is that all people now need to do is click on your profile and view all threads started by you. You had and personally fixed nearly every fault known to these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #29
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I think it is a fair comment/assumption. There are a fair few mechanically knowledgeable types on here that are happy to help but I think most of those guys are still more likely to have a warrantied car.

I guess it's why I stay around here. If it was just full of people fixing problems and writing up how to's on how to take a car I don't even own apart i'd rarely visit.

The Audi forum sounds a bit like the Clio one. I was surprised by how common it was for people to buy the VCDS cable and start changing things on the car, it just doesn't seem to happen here. It's definitely a more fix/fit it on the driveway community but the chat is a bit poop.

Jinjur, in terms of a technical resource, the good thing is that all people now need to do is click on your profile and view all threads started by you. You had and personally fixed nearly every fault known to these cars.
Hah....thanks mate.

I love hands on with cars, it was my second calling but my interest is steering to a warrantied one now as ill health is preventing me doing what I love best, and thats working on cars unfortunately.

I get what you are saying, there are good guys on here......much more banter so to speak as CS.net is very digital....."this is how you fix this blah" which is great for me, but I have to say there isnt alot of soul going on there.

I used to be a member of CRX-UK and by Jesus.....I went to an odd meet.........liver NEVER recovered.

Never know, I may get to a meet of this forum.

Im sure you would all love me if you actuall met me, I am a bit of a CANT online but Im not bad in person...

Honest

:P

Andy
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #30
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

You should definitely come to a meet
      07-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #31
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am a bit of a CANT online but Im not bad in person...
I find that hard to believe
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #32
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I did ask for that you monkey fumbler......
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Haha.

I do agree with you Jinjur, alot of the mods on here were things like audio upgrades, but that was when the BMW system and generation of cars was new and no one knew what was really involved so the threads were quite interesting to follow. But now all that knowledge is out there so people just search and find it, hence new threads not appearing so often.

Audi have had VagCom for as long as I remember, buy a $200 cable and code your car to add/remove options etc. Problem with this latest gen of BMWs was the coding stuff like OPS etc. was starting at around £800 and with the proper MOST headers and correct laptop could be double that.
You can now buy a cable for $100 though and that is changing things, but as you say, you now have a load of owners that are probably more hands on, mainly cause there are thousands of owners with cars out of warranty.

BMWland has more of those as it is a generic forum, the 3 series section covers from E30 through to F30 and everything in between, 5 series covers from E34 through to F10, so loads more techy posts as there are more people with older cars that are going wrong.

This generation of BMWs is probably at its most exciting from an owner perspective, just that after 7 years with them most of us on here are moving on, I have stuck with a BMW and have an X1, but know everything I need to know about it really as it is just a jacked up E91.

I had an A6 for 12 months up till last summer and I found the A6 forums absolutely dead, there was maybe 3 posts a day on all of them, A4 was busy, but it was using a slightly different MMI system so not of much interest to me.

I think the fact there are hundreds of forums now just spreads the traffic around more as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #34
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Just be grateful its not like Pistonheads. I'm scared to post on there for fear of mis-spelling a word/having a different opinion/saying anything bad about Porsche

hahahah...plus one!!!!....

fcuk me they're a bunch of c*nts with their spelling, vocabulary addiction, and if you don't think the same as them...you get stoned and flamed!!!...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #35
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Tell us more about this Clio mate, sounds very quick.
u like to stir shit up don't u....
Appreciate 0