E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Remote Start - No Extra Key Required

11-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
It will not work with manual. The firmware is not finished.

This is not a DIY piece. It must be programmed by a dealer.
????

have you even done one of these?

I never said the unit came ready for manual transmission, i said you need an experienced installer to do the install for that, and NO you do not need a dealer to program this unit
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowinstallz View Post
you dont need a hack, you need an experienced installer
I AM an experienced installer. The Compustar techs are very experienced installers. If they can't do it, you certainly can't.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
I AM an experienced installer. The Compustar techs are very experienced installers. If they can't do it, you certainly can't.
okay, can you explain y the clutch cant be bypassed? curious now
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
okay, can you explain y the clutch cant be bypassed? curious now
I didn't see him say anywhere that it can't be bypassed. I only saw him say that the BM1 would not work with a manual tranny.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
I didn't see him say anywhere that it can't be bypassed. I only saw him say that the BM1 would not work with a manual tranny.
he implied that it cant be done...i know the module isnt designed for a manual trans, thats y i said "can probably be done with a clutch bypass" , but superjay keeps going back saying it cant be done as per Compustar head techs., ive never had any issues doing manual transmission cars as long as it was properly done you wont have an issue with starting it in gear. just curious why not.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Would I still be able to turn the car on without starting the engine? (Currently needed to clear service messages, done by starting without pressing clutch)
im assuming you can do it just by not pressing the brake also
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
he implied that it cant be done...i know the module isnt designed for a manual trans, thats y i said "can probably be done with a clutch bypass" , but superjay keeps going back saying it cant be done as per Compustar head techs., ive never had any issues doing manual transmission cars as long as it was properly done you wont have an issue with starting it in gear. just curious why not.
Sorry bud, I don't see anything implied. He stated the facts behind the product, nothing. It is not a standard RS install, therefor it doesn't 'work' like one.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Not sure if this helps, but the remote starters installed in my previous cars were also not designed for manuals. It had NO safety to make sure car was in gear (agreed it's not the safest thing to operate one without such a safety switch, but I chose to do so anyway). It bypassed the clutch always, whether remote starting, or manually starting the car. Guessing he just tricked the car into thinking the clutch was always down (this did not affect cruise control though, which did continue to disengage anytime the clutch was pushed while being used).

As for my current E90, the comment above about starting it without pushing the brake if I want to get to the service menu... I currently don't need to push the brake to start the engine, only the clutch... so that still wouldn't work.

I suppose if I use a remote start intended for a manual, I might be ok. BUT, if I was interested in installing a starter intended for an auto, in my manual, then I may no longer be able to access the service menu. Definitely something to think about.
      11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
ADS
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6

Hey guys, new to the forum here and on my first visit I saw this post about a product that i make! (I work for the company that makes these kits).

These kits are not DIY, they require a professional technician to be installed correctly and must be programmed at the time of install (programming requires an authorized dealer login).

ALL BM1 kits are currently designed to work and operate on AT vehicle only. Installing the product on a manual transmission vehicle would require a bypass of the clutch pedal and would leave the vehicle vulnerable to potential risk and issue. This could include remote starting while the vehicle is in gear and having your car potentially hitting other vehicles or people!

Anyone who claims they can install these specific kits (BM1) on a manual transmission vehicle at the moment will leave your car in the above-mentioned vulnerable state. You will completely loose the product warranty and if anything were to ever happen, your S.O.L. The installer who performed the install will be immediately banned and blocked from using any of our products.

On a positive note

We are currently testing a manual transmission version that will have all the necessary precaution built in. (will operate similar to a regular manual transmission remote starter system with a certain sequence that needs to be done prior to exiting the vehicle). As soon as the MT version is available, we will post it on our Facebook page.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here.

Quick FAQ
at this moment, only supports Automatic transmission
compatible with the first gen PTS only (must have BOTH the key dock and push start button)
no need to loose a key, the BM1 takes care of the immobilizer bypass via DATA
All connection are done with OEM grade T-Harness
system operates via the OEM transmitters (3x Lock will start/stop the vehicle)
system is ready for a transmitter upgrade (plug in optional remote for better range or 2-way confirmation, check with your install shop for choice)
System is Smart phone remote start ready (requires optional compatible telematic unit and subscription plan, check with your install shop for choice)

For those of you who are familiar with ADS my name is Phil and you should know me.

Last edited by ADS; 11-15-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum here and on my first visit I saw this post about a product that i make! (I work for the company that makes these kits).

These kits are not DIY, they require a professional technician to be installed correctly and must be programmed at the time of install (programming requires an authorized dealer login).

ALL BM1 kits are currently designed to work and operate on AT vehicle only. Installing the product on a manual transmission vehicle would require a bypass of the clutch pedal and would leave the vehicle vulnerable to potential risk and issue. This could include remote starting while the vehicle is in gear and having your car potentially hitting other vehicles or people!

Anyone who claims they can install these specific kits (BM1) on a manual transmission vehicle at the moment will leave your car in the above-mentioned vulnerable state. You will completely loose the product warranty and if anything were to ever happen, your S.O.L. The installer who performed the install will be immediately banned and blocked from using any of our products.

On a positive note

We are currently testing a manual transmission version that will have all the necessary precaution built in. (will operate similar to a regular manual transmission remote starter system with a certain sequence that needs to be done prior to exiting the vehicle). As soon as the MT version is available, we will post it on our Facebook page.

For those of you who are familiar with ADS my name is Phil and you should know me.
This is an interesting thread.
not sure about the e90 but if the car knows it's in neutral, then that signal could be used instead of a clutch depressed signal. Yea it might need to be conditioned but I don't see how this is much different than a signal from the brakes being depressed.

Trying to start in gear would be bad but if there is some way to detect the car in gear, either a neutral signal or !neutral could be used.

But hey, I'm an EE and nothing with an ECU and micro is impossible. It's just difficult.

The big question and I don't know the answer, is if you can determine if the car is in neutral by an indicator somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

On a positive note

Quick FAQ
at this moment, only supports Automatic transmission
compatible with the first gen PTS only (must have BOTH the key dock and push start button)
no need to loose a key, the BM1 takes care of the immobilizer bypass via DATA
All connection are done with OEM grade T-Harness
system operates via the OEM transmitters (3x Lock will start/stop the vehicle)
system is ready for a transmitter upgrade (plug in optional remote for better range or 2-way confirmation, check with your install shop for choice)
System is Smart phone remote start ready (requires optional compatible telematic unit and subscription plan, check with your install shop for choice)

Thanks Phil,

I never said it was safe...just saying it can probably be done.....of course people have done them properly with other branded bypass kits and companies like DEI which are safe where you would have to do a procedure each time or use a neutral safety. sorry again if this went off track. just trying to give back to the e90 community.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #34
ADS
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
This is an interesting thread.
not sure about the e90 but if the car knows it's in neutral, then that signal could be used instead of a clutch depressed signal. Yea it might need to be conditioned but I don't see how this is much different than a signal from the brakes being depressed.

Trying to start in gear would be bad but if there is some way to detect the car in gear, either a neutral signal or !neutral could be used.

But hey, I'm an EE and nothing with an ECU and micro is impossible. It's just difficult.

The big question and I don't know the answer, is if you can determine if the car is in neutral by an indicator somewhere?

yes there is a way on most cars to know but all remote starter manufacturer now use a sequence to ensure you left the car in neutral. this method is tested for a ver very very long time now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #35
shadowinstallz
Enlisted Member
Rep

just for the record, i never claimed it can be installed it straight up,i just said it can probably be done with a clutch bypass
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Theres no safety issue as long as a nuetral safety switch is installed youd just need to figure out the wiring for the clutch which is probably pretty similar to the brake. Why wouldn't it work on a manual?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #37
Supra98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can you PM me a price and or link? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Does this work for Convertible as well? The website only listed for sedan and coupe.

Last edited by gdkalyanapu; 11-19-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #39
ADS
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
Does this work for Convertible as well? The website only listed for sedan and coupe.
yes sir as long as its AT

i did many 3 series and z4 with zero issues!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Quote:
yes sir as long as its AT

i did many 3 series and z4 with zero issues!
Thanks ADS. If it's a plug'n'play, can an amateur like me install it or leave it to professionals?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #41
ADS
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
Thanks ADS. If it's a plug'n'play, can an amateur like me install it or leave it to professionals?
leave it to the pro!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
leave it to the pro!
Whats the point of it being pnp then? Using the DLPK, KIBMW, and Viper alarm it is simple enough to diy even though it's not plug and play. It's also cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
Proflyer
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi

OK now I'm confused.

Two things:

First, where can we buy one of these? Searched around a bit but couldn't find a store online selling them.

Second, it seemed to me in the first post that we could install this ourselves? I read the install a bit on one of their sites and it seems you just install it, use your key, unplug the box in a certain order, plug it into your computer to program it through their gateway, then plug it back in....is that not the case?

I've installed (as I'm sure most of us have) lots of things in cars over the years and with good instructions and the right tools anything is possible really...except if you need the dealer to 'code' the car or something.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proflyer View Post
OK now I'm confused.

Two things:

First, where can we buy one of these? Searched around a bit but couldn't find a store online selling them.

Second, it seemed to me in the first post that we could install this ourselves? I read the install a bit on one of their sites and it seems you just install it, use your key, unplug the box in a certain order, plug it into your computer to program it through their gateway, then plug it back in....is that not the case?

I've installed (as I'm sure most of us have) lots of things in cars over the years and with good instructions and the right tools anything is possible really...except if you need the dealer to 'code' the car or something.

Thanks guys
+1 OP claims to have already done the install himself. And the "experts" claim it can't be done.
Appreciate 0