E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > BMW Performance Powerkit variant 2

10-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

BMW Performance Powerkit variant 2

Has anyone got any feedback on using the PPK hardware in relation to improving cooling at the track?

I am talking about the additional radiator, more powerful fan and additional airflow ducting.

Not interested in the software changes.

p.s. this is for a 2007 335i MT with oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 DKG

Well i tracked my Car 2 weeks ago with the next mods:

Adittional water radiator from ppk1
335is ducts, so both coolers really get some air and an intercooler upgrade..

I was able to do 40 laps to the track (3 laps wot, 1 lap to refrigerate the Car and stopping for 15 mins every 12 laps) an the car behaved like a champ... Didn't say a word...

I did all these upgrades bc last time i was there i couldnt enjoy it because it overheated too fast...

I dont have the rad, but i think is not necessary for track use (over 40 mph the air will come fast enough anyway)

Mine is a n55, but i think pretty much everything i said is valid for an n54.
Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
paddy335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odariel View Post
Well i tracked my Car 2 weeks ago with the next mods:

Adittional water radiator from ppk1
335is ducts, so both coolers really get some air and an intercooler upgrade..

I was able to do 40 laps to the track (3 laps wot, 1 lap to refrigerate the Car and stopping for 15 mins every 12 laps) an the car behaved like a champ... Didn't say a word...

I did all these upgrades bc last time i was there i couldnt enjoy it because it overheated too fast...

I dont have the rad, but i think is not necessary for track use (over 40 mph the air will come fast enough anyway)

Mine is a n55, but i think pretty much everything i said is valid for an n54.
Hope it helps!
Thanks mate, unfortunately I have just found out the PPK doesn't work on my car, which is an N54. Have started investigating a PWR radiator.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Thanks mate, unfortunately I have just found out the PPK doesn't work on my car, which is an N54. Have started investigating a PWR radiator.
That's impossible... you should be able to install all the cooling hardware that comes from factory on a 335is which is basically a tuned N54...

Maybe the actual tune is what you can't get but i seriously doubt it also... you can find it for all 335i models at shopbmwusa....

Again, a power rad will only help you at very low speeds... i skipped and don't regret it... my car performs fine without that 900$ upgrade... now, the rest of the bits (335is ducts, extra water radiator & intercooler) I recommend them from first hand experience... they do deliver tangible improvements.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
paddy335
Major
Rep

I don't think they do the hardware only without changing the DME....I have an aftermarket tune so not sure it wouldn't overwrite that. Anyway it's too hard so I will look at other options
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
I don't think they do the hardware only without changing the DME....I have an aftermarket tune so not sure it wouldn't overwrite that. Anyway it's too hard so I will look at other options
I did it that way, ordering the parts as replacements... it is actually cheaper! haha...

But hey, if you feel other options are better go for them... keep us informed about what you end up doing!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
paddy335
Major
Rep

Actually you've convinced me that maybe I just need to be a bit pushier with the local dealer, or maybe explore it through Turner Motorsport or another 3rd party.
Thanks again for the advice
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Don't think the PPK radiator is really needed, log your water temps on the track, mine are not going above 106C. Oil temps could be a little lower, I have a large oil cooler (stett stg 2) and still see 275F oil temps.

Spend your money on big oil cooler, for MT cars the water cooling capacity is fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Plus ultimately getting cooler Oil Temps will help with the water temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Don't think the PPK radiator is really needed, log your water temps on the track, mine are not going above 106C. Oil temps could be a little lower, I have a large oil cooler (stett stg 2) and still see 275F oil temps.

Spend your money on big oil cooler, for MT cars the water cooling capacity is fine.

Yep, if your car is manual, the additional water cooler might not be essential... For DCT guys like me, it is good though, part of the gearbox is cooled by water...

The stett Oil cooler would be my preferred choice also... it has glowing reviews and the core looks quite big...

I don't know why nobody has come with an upgraded core that uses the oem lines for the oil cooler... it would be cheaper to produce, more affordable and thus, they would sell a lot more of them...

Also guys like me who are still on warranty could use it without having to worry about the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't know why nobody has come with an upgraded core that uses the oem lines for the oil cooler... it would be cheaper to produce, more affordable and thus, they would sell a lot more of them...

Also guys like me who are still on warranty could use it without having to worry about the dealer...
You could get this done pretty cheaply at a local race shop if you wanted. Just cut the lines going to the factory cooler, press on AN fittings, run those lines to the new core that you mount however you like.

They probably aren't going to do kits this way because there's very little hardware required other than the core itself, so little profit for a shop. Just go get it done locally, its not a difficult job.

The reason for the upgraded lines and fittings on the oil filter housing is the factory fittings and lines are rather small and don't flow that much oil. But it should still work ok - certainly better than the stock cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
You could get this done pretty cheaply at a local race shop if you wanted. Just cut the lines going to the factory cooler, press on AN fittings, run those lines to the new core that you mount however you like.

They probably aren't going to do kits this way because there's very little hardware required other than the core itself, so little profit for a shop. Just go get it done locally, its not a difficult job.

The reason for the upgraded lines and fittings on the oil filter housing is the factory fittings and lines are rather small and don't flow that much oil. But it should still work ok - certainly better than the stock cooler.
Ok i see... thanks for the info.. If i were to buy the stett, since i am in europe... with delivery, import taxes, etc. it would be a bit over 1.600$... a bit too much for an oil cooler to be honest...

I got a low thermostat from BMS... let's see if it brings any improvements... (i highly doubt it)..

But you pointed out something i didn't know... the insuficient oil flow due to small lines and filter housing... Then i don't think it will make sense to improve only the core... That would only solve part of the problem, and it would be very likely that my temps would remain high...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok i see... thanks for the info.. If i were to buy the stett, since i am in europe... with delivery, import taxes, etc. it would be a bit over 1.600$... a bit too much for an oil cooler to be honest...

I got a low thermostat from BMS... let's see if it brings any improvements... (i highly doubt it)..

But you pointed out something i didn't know... the insuficient oil flow due to small lines and filter housing... Then i don't think it will make sense to improve only the core... That would only solve part of the problem, and it would be very likely that my temps would remain high...
You should just get a race shop local to you to build you something custom. The only reason I went with Stett is because they are local to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
You should just get a race shop local to you to build you something custom. The only reason I went with Stett is because they are local to me.
Maybe... Still, with what i got now, the car is usable at the track (as long as i do a cool down lap every 4, 5 laps max...) I guess it is enough.. my brakes can't keep up after 5 laps anyway..

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Bobby_Sardells
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Plus ultimately getting cooler Oil Temps will help with the water temps.
bingo
Appreciate 0