E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Opinions Needed - my second shoot

05-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Opinions Needed - my second shoot

Hi folks,

Just wanted to get some constructive critcism here.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264190

Only my second shoot. Photos were shot in RAW with my Nikon D40 + kit lens. Manipulation was a mix of Lighroom, PS 7.0, and Nikon Capture NX 2.0.

05-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

no one?
      05-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

The stormtrooper pic is hilarious!

I think they look pretty good. But I'm a sucker for an E90 M3....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
The stormtrooper pic is hilarious!
lol. thx
      05-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
dosserj
FOR SALE
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3

Beautiful car, obviously, but on to the pix...
It looks like you took them in the mid-day sun which is never favorable. I can see you tried to darken the bright sky in some of your pix, but it really just gave them a gray tint. A quick fix is a graduated neutral density filter which is designed to darken the tops of photos for you and also looks a little more natural.
Do you use any flashes at all? That will help illuminate the side of the car that is cast in shadows. Many of your photos had one side of the car in the harsh sun and the other in shadows. Flashes will help!
My suggestion would be to get a tripod, at least one flash and wait for an overcast day or shoot in morning/evening when the sun isn't right overhead. Many photographers talk about the "magic hour" which is the time the sun creates soft, diffused light as it is setting. Try to find that window of time and as mentioned, use a tripod.
You are on the right track tho! Any picture of an M3 is a winner to me
      05-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

I'm not the one to be critiquing as I'm a beginner, but I agree with Dosserj about the colors. I think pictures #4 and #7 have the most natural colors.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosserj View Post
Beautiful car, obviously, but on to the pix...
It looks like you took them in the mid-day sun which is never favorable. I can see you tried to darken the bright sky in some of your pix, but it really just gave them a gray tint. A quick fix is a graduated neutral density filter which is designed to darken the tops of photos for you and also looks a little more natural.
Do you use any flashes at all? That will help illuminate the side of the car that is cast in shadows. Many of your photos had one side of the car in the harsh sun and the other in shadows. Flashes will help!
My suggestion would be to get a tripod, at least one flash and wait for an overcast day or shoot in morning/evening when the sun isn't right overhead. Many photographers talk about the "magic hour" which is the time the sun creates soft, diffused light as it is setting. Try to find that window of time and as mentioned, use a tripod.
You are on the right track tho! Any picture of an M3 is a winner to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
I'm not the one to be critiquing as I'm a beginner, but I agree with Dosserj about the colors. I think pictures #4 and #7 have the most natural colors.
Thanks for the feedback folks. I am heading to SoCal next week to do another shoot. Will def try some of your suggestions. I did use a tripod for all these shots BTW, so not sure where i screwed up there.
      05-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. I am heading to SoCal next week to do another shoot. Will def try some of your suggestions. I did use a tripod for all these shots BTW, so not sure where i screwed up there.
np. I know this is the noob way, but I often put my camera in auto mode for the first couple of pictures to see what my camera thinks the settings should be. Then i put it in manual, then set the settings close to the auto settings then start tweaking.
Appreciate 0