E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > If you could only have 2-3 lenses, what would they be????

05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #45
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a 12-24mm WA for my D90 already

I am looking for a new lens. Would you guys suggest me looking at a prime lens such as 35mm,50mm,or 85mm?

Or should I go with a telephoto lens?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #46
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

canon FF
24-70
50 1.4 sigmalux
70-200 2.8 IS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #47
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

For the people actually looking for a lens to add to their bag, you're approaching this all the wrong way. You gotta ask yourself what exactly you want to shoot. Any lens you add to your bag will be functional, but it really is all a matter of preference.

This being an automotive forum, I'm assuming most of you will be shooting photos of your cars. In my opinion, a telephoto lens is best for this. I like to keep the proportions of the car realistic rather than have the fenders stretched across a wide angle. From my experience, I feel like anything 85mm and up will give you proper proportions without any barrel distortion. Of course if you're running a rig on your car, you most likely will need a wide angle.

Personally, I think a 24-70mm F/2.8 (I'm shooting canon) is wide enough and convenient enough to be use as a general all purpose lens. The lens has kept me from buying canon's 17-40 or 16-35. I shoot on a camera with a APS-C sized sensor and if I were to throw this thing on a full frame, I'd have MORE than enough space. But thats just me.

Though its not a everyday lens, I would recommend a 70-200mm depending on what you intend to shoot. I use this lens most for all my portraiture work. If you're gonna be within close quarters, then this lens is not for you.

Lastly, I would get something for your low light conditions. I despise flash (unless you have your system off camera) and i think natural lighting looks best. generally this focal length would be around 50mm at f/1.4.

Currently my bag meets all my needs
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS
50 f/1.2L

at this point for me, My focal length's range is covered with the 24-70 and 70-200 (i have no need to go wider than 24). I would however like to invest in wider prime lens with a higher f-stop # (example 24 or 35mm f/1.4) for my scenic night landscape/ group shots.

All this is preference to my style of shooting though. to the next guy, maybe they hate zoom lens and like working generally with prime lens. You just gotta get what fits your needs.

I don't think i need to elaborate on prime vs. zoom here.
Appreciate 0