E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Can tool..

07-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Can tool..

I'm going to take out my tune to take it for possible water pump failure. I'm NOT taking out my DP, so a CAN-tool can hide the code right? Even when I take it in for service under warranty? I'm unsure what a CAN-tool really does and if this would be the right thing to use under this situation.... What should I do?
Basically want to take JB4 out and not the DP, but want to service the car without any codes or errors...
      07-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
I'm going to take out my tune to take it for possible water pump failure. I'm NOT taking out my DP, so a CAN-tool can hide the code right? Even when I take it in for service under warranty? I'm unsure what a CAN-tool really does and if this would be the right thing to use under this situation.... What should I do?
Basically want to take JB4 out and not the DP, but want to service the car without any codes or errors...
The CanTool can remove the code via auto-code clear but it will interfere with the diagnostic hook-up BMW will perform (i.e. it occupies the Can Network and plugs into the OBD port where BMW ill plug in)

Best bet if you don't want to remove the DPs is just clear the code right before dropping the car off. Usually takes some time for it to pop back up.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The CanTool can remove the code via auto-code clear but it will interfere with the diagnostic hook-up BMW will perform (i.e. it occupies the Can Network and plugs into the OBD port where BMW ill plug in)

Best bet if you don't want to remove the DPs is just clear the code right before dropping the car off. Usually takes some time for it to pop back up.

Mike
Cool. I will try that.. Can you PM me a price for a CANtool?
      07-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
^^ what Mike said... +1
      07-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Cool. I will try that.. Can you PM me a price for a CANtool?
Just clear codes and remove jb4 right before going in to dealer. Cel will take some time to pop back up.
And theyll know you have a dp anyways, makes a big sound difference lol
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Cel will take some time to pop back up.