E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Incomplete/WIP - Wattage and LED Angel Eye Brightness

07-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
Right. Again though that is a 'on paper'. Is it actually brighter? More lumens? Yes. I am sure it is. However on the road in the car's angel eye tubes I have yet to see a case where adding more power has had any marked improvement on the upgrade with my own eyes. That is all I am talking about.

I am not talking pictures on the internet.
Of the angel eyes you bought from us, which ones are you comparing that did not have a discernible difference in brightness when wattage was increased?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Can you 2 please PM each other instead of filling this thread up with your arguing
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Can you 2 please PM each other instead of filling this thread up with your arguing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In case you haven't realized this thread is dead and the original post is removed. Asking a member which items he has used from us is not an argument, it's a question and a valid question since the original thread is based on wattage and products we offer.

I'm also pretty sure arguing with vendors and telling me what to do is a direct violation of forum rules.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
We've never been shy to post this info. Our currently LUX H8 V4 produce 906 lumen which makes them equivalent to a 45W halogen bulb per side, or 90W halogen equivalent in total. As well they operate at 100% so this number wont change when the headlight are on or the car is not turned on
How was this number measured? Is this the summed theoretical max output of all the emitters, or some other method?
      07-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #28
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
How was this number measured? Is this the summed theoretical max output of all the emitters, or some other method?
These are actual numbers from Cree. They offer this awesome tool that will allow you to calculate Lumen output, Efficiency, Overall wattage etc. All you need to know is the type of the LED, the bin grouping, and the drive current of them. Since we design our own product we of course know all of that information including the exact LED bin code we are using. Based off those numbers it calculates 906 lumen for all 4 white LED's. As well since our lights do not dim at all this number is accurate for all modes of the car's operation.

As you increase the color temp white decreases and blue increases in overall lumen, but the change is pretty much even the entire time, within a few lumen. It doesn't create a large enough difference that you eye could tell the lumen difference between 5000k and 12,000k.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #29
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Of the angel eyes you bought from us, which ones are you comparing that did not have a discernible difference in brightness when wattage was increased?
I am not talking or saying that the bulb/upgrade itself is not actually brighter. I am talking about once installed into the headlight how it operates. From my experience and seeing lots of local BMWs I don't see the difference.

Two side by side outside of the car. Sure. Probably brighter.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
These are actual numbers from Cree. They offer this awesome tool that will allow you to calculate Lumen output, Efficiency, Overall wattage etc. All you need to know is the type of the LED, the bin grouping, and the drive current of them. Since we design our own product we of course know all of that information including the exact LED bin code we are using. Based off those numbers it calculates 906 lumen for all 4 white LED's. As well since our lights do not dim at all this number is accurate for all modes of the car's operation.

As you increase the color temp white decreases and blue increases in overall lumen, but the change is pretty much even the entire time, within a few lumen. It doesn't create a large enough difference that you eye could tell the lumen difference between 5000k and 12,000k.
Good stuff. I do have to give you credit in that you actually understand how LEDs work, how they're driven, etc. That's a lot more than can be said for all the vendors rebranding Chinese products.

You mentioned that the calculation is done based on drive current, I assume you measure current at the LED with the bulb connected to its driver and then to the car in order to get real world numbers? Based on the fact that your bulbs don't dim, I'm speculating you use a constant current driver in the form of a DC to DC regulator so it shouldn't make a huge difference whether the bulbs are connected to the car or not, but still.
      07-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #31
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Good stuff. I do have to give you credit in that you actually understand how LEDs work, how they're driven, etc. That's a lot more than can be said for all the vendors rebranding Chinese products.

You mentioned that the calculation is done based on drive current, I assume you measure current at the LED with the bulb connected to its driver and then to the car in order to get real world numbers? Based on the fact that your bulbs don't dim, I'm speculating you use a constant current driver in the form of a DC to DC regulator so it shouldn't make a huge difference whether the bulbs are connected to the car or not, but still.
Thanks man. I've been designing LED Angel Eyes for over 6 years now so yes i feel like i do have a pretty extensive knowledge of how they work, the drivers behind them etc.

The driver we are using in the LUX H8 V4 we designed so we know exactly what happens in it and the nominal drive current as well. Regardless of whether you have the car on, car off, headlights on, or just plugged into a bench power supply you will get the same output to the LED's.

Many of the products out there don't accommodate this, so lets say when plugged into a bench power supply the output will b 100%, when the car is on it will be around 80-90%, when you turn the headlights on it does down closer to 30-40%
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I am not talking or saying that the bulb/upgrade itself is not actually brighter. I am talking about once installed into the headlight how it operates. From my experience and seeing lots of local BMWs I don't see the difference.

Two side by side outside of the car. Sure. Probably brighter.
So you haven't done a side by side of our lighting systems comparing say 40W to 80W? I'm just trying to prove a point that people spread rumors way to quick and they are largely blanket statements with no controlled experience.

In real life, if you were to try our 40W then upgrade to our 80W and do a side by side comparison there would be a real physical difference in brightness and one that would appease the end consumer.

If there was no discernible difference I would have a lot of angry customers and furthermore I wouldn't even bother selling them.
Appreciate 0