E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Reliability and mistake of buying it.

01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #111
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
you gotta pay to play.

on a more serious note, sorry about your issues.. This is my second 335i and I've had very little problems.. *knock on wood The main issues I've encountered door lock actuators going out (3 times)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #112
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90 View Post
I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
Mine was brutal too. Just bailed out of it...back to Audi. No more BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #113
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
Yeah I tend to agree with OP. I love a lot of things about my car, but I have also had a lot of issues with my car that fall into the category of "just shouldn't happen". Its like they designed some of the parts/systems 90% of the way and then didn't bother to test them.

Also, my current BMW SA is a good guy, but over the years my experience with BMW service departments has been pretty hit or miss. And yeah I know I can go to different dealers and SA's or CA's but I shouldn't have to. A brand like BMW should have a more consistent and better managed service experience.
The trouble is that most of my problems were all documented as regular 335 problems and I think thats just brutal. Basically when you buy the care you know you are going to have HPFP, injectors, wastegate, turbo, hvac fan etc etc. Just hope they all go before warranty is up.

Last edited by 335BBS; 01-10-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #114
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You're driving an inline 6 twin turbo not a 2.0L 4 cylinder. The old saying is what, the more moving parts you have the more chances something goes wrong?

The HPFP is covered to 120k now, the wastegates to 82k, I believe the injectors are covered now as well(if anyone could confirm this). Most of these extended warranties came out before most people reached the 4 year/50k mark. Unless of course you drive 25k+ miles a year.

Valve cover gaskets go out on every car, these engines run very hot and thus compromise the integrity of the gasket much sooner, especially the area where the turbos are located. A rubber gasket is a rubber gasket, I don't really know what you can do to make these last longer other then redesigning the entire engine, which would take away the entire point of me owning this vehicle.

Some people are going to have bad luck with their cars, it's just a fact, and it's the same whether you buy American, German, Japanese, or Korean. If you want a BMW that you just want to be seen in then drive a 328, much simpler engine with a lot fewer moving parts to go wrong.

I came from a DSM, so I guess some of this stuff doesn't even seem like a big deal to me. That car was basically a perfect engine block surrounded by half-assed garbage parts, Japanese parts as well, so this theory that the Japanese create these perfect vehicles is hilarious. Anything Japanese that includes a turbo has just as many issues as a 335i does.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #115
philiphilip
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite 2008 BMW 335i SP

Buy the extended BMW warranty! Pays for itself!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #116
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Warranties are great for people without mechanical knowledge or tools. The whole "wear and tear" not covered thing really irks me about them though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #117
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I have to disagree with u GS fsport or not it is never going to be better then a e90 that has no electric steering crap and is a lot lighter then the heavy weight GS......let's keep it in perspective every new owner thinks there new ride is gods gift...........the GS f sport is not even in the same class as 335i in handling, accceleration or steering feel nor driving dynamics due to over weight issues. Please compare apples to apples GS is more of a 5er competitor and not 3. On a track or street the 3er will be leaps and bounds ahead of it. I am sorry but are way off comparing 3er to heavy weight GS.

As far as reliability goes let's not talk Toyota as they have one of the largest recalls on their brand new cars. Compared to anybody else right now
Holy FANBOY! How often do you track your car? Toyotas recall is mostly due to carpets riding over accelerator. Don't even go there....HPFP, wastegate,, turbos, hvac fan, injectors etc etc etc. ALL KNOWN problems, some with recall and others with extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #118
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

I'm OK with wear and tear not being covered - things like brakes are designed to wear out. What I'm not OK with is gaskets being considered wear and tear. They are not designed to leak over time. Either they are not installed correctly, or they are designed poorly. I mean, eventually they are going to dry up and need to be replaced, but it shouldn't be within the warranty period + CPO!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #119
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Holy FANBOY! How often do you track your car? Toyotas recall is mostly due to carpets riding over accelerator. Don't even go there....HPFP, wastegate,, turbos, hvac fan, injectors etc etc etc. ALL KNOWN problems, some with recall and others with extended warranty.
Also - Toyota did a recall even though there wasn't really a problem at all!
"After several months of investigating, the NHTSA said it found no evidence of a defect and there was no data indicating any bad parts"

BMW won't even extend the turbo warranty in Canada when they clearly have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #120
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed

Quote:
The trouble is that most of my problems were all documented as regular 335 problems and I think thats just brutal. Basically when you buy the care you know you are going to have HPFP, injectors, wastegate, turbo, hvac fan etc etc. Just hope they all go before warranty is up.

+ water pump

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #121
Scirocco kid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series 2007

BMW. Equals break my wallet
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #122
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I thought it was Bring My Wallet
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #123
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
yah for sure. Just a gasket-why is would it crumble to pieces? Car is only 4 years old. Not old if you ask me.
The rear main/clutch was done at 40K kms, while under regular warranty. Factory extended didnt cover v/cover gasket after regular ended. Just poor material engineering-nothing more to be said.
CPO warranty is a crock. Wish there could be some way to go after BMW for misrepresenting the warranty.
I realize it does say no wear/tear items are covered, but doesn't that almost imply nothing is covered on the whole car? Everything is wear and tear!
Just go to BMW dealer in US, you are close enough and get it fixed there. That's what I do as BMW NA warranty is valid in both US and Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #124
billy da kid
Rep
Drives: newbie

help guys

hiya folks!!.. i am new to the USA and i am looking to buy a second hand 2009 bmw 335i coupe i always wanted the 335i and in the UK i had a 320d e90..only reason why i never got 335i was because of fuel costs in the UK.. you fellas in the US have it good (well far more cheaper than us)
anyways to cut a long story short .. i have never bought a car second hand especially a german machine ... always preferred the new package that way i have all the warranty and my exact specs..
i am 32 years old, a CPA by profession and i think i can comfortably afford the second hand car with or without the warranty .. however i was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what to look out for and what sort of question to ask the dealer?? and probably get a reduced price
so far i have checked various dealers and the price range for the 2009 335i coupe is about 27k +
I know having read loads of threads the issues associated with the HPFP but are there any other problems i should look out for besides the obvious accident damage??
i contacted both geico and nationwide and got a quote of $330 which i believe is too much considering i have 15 years no claims from UK and a clean drivers license... (Changed my UK license to Maryland one) think they are trying to bump me Insurance is a nightmare i guess i will deal with them more aggressively once i find my dream car...

all in all i am looking to get a 2009 bmw 335i coupe with less than 40k miles sports and cold weather package, preferable in black , mint condition, not previously leased coz lease owners don't really treat their cars right (talking from experience) and definitely with iDrive

appreciate any insight from my fellow BMW fans

peace love and hair greese
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #125
billy da kid
Rep

help guys

hiya folks!!.. i am new to the USA and i am looking to buy a second hand 2009 bmw 335i coupe i always wanted the 335i and in the UK i had a 320d e90..only reason why i never got 335i was because of fuel costs in the UK.. you fellas in the US have it good (well far more cheaper than us)
anyways to cut a long story short .. i have never bought a car second hand especially a german machine ... always preferred the new package that way i have all the warranty and my exact specs..
i am 32 years old, a CPA by profession and i think i can comfortably afford the second hand car with or without the warranty .. however i was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what to look out for and what sort of question to ask the dealer?? and probably get a reduced price
so far i have checked various dealers and the price range for the 2009 335i coupe is about 27k +
I know having read loads of threads the issues associated with the HPFP but are there any other problems i should look out for besides the obvious accident damage??
i contacted both geico and nationwide and got a quote of $330 which i believe is too much considering i have 15 years no claims from UK and a clean drivers license... (Changed my UK license to Maryland one) think they are trying to bump me Insurance is a nightmare i guess i will deal with them more aggressively once i find my dream car...

all in all i am looking to get a 2009 bmw 335i coupe with less than 40k miles sports and cold weather package, preferable in black , mint condition, not previously leased coz lease owners don't really treat their cars right (talking from experience) and definitely with iDrive

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #126
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy da kid View Post

Read post #113.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #127
billy da kid
Rep

thanks mate... read the thread... however i am still a bit confused.. would the dealer have all this information?? as in the car history with all works done from the minor light bulb change to the bigger HPFP issues? and if so can i use this to bring prices down or do i just shut up and enjoy someone else mis-fortune.. surely if major work is done then lightning doesn't normal strike twice..

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #128
billy da kid
Rep

ohhh and mileage wise ... is it safe to be looking at cars with 40k miles and less or should i be looking for lower mileage??

ta
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #129
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz335 View Post
You're driving an inline 6 twin turbo not a 2.0L 4 cylinder. The old saying is what, the more moving parts you have the more chances something goes wrong?

The HPFP is covered to 120k now, the wastegates to 82k, I believe the injectors are covered now as well(if anyone could confirm this). Most of these extended warranties came out before most people reached the 4 year/50k mark. Unless of course you drive 25k+ miles a year.

Valve cover gaskets go out on every car, these engines run very hot and thus compromise the integrity of the gasket much sooner, especially the area where the turbos are located. A rubber gasket is a rubber gasket, I don't really know what you can do to make these last longer other then redesigning the entire engine, which would take away the entire point of me owning this vehicle.

Some people are going to have bad luck with their cars, it's just a fact, and it's the same whether you buy American, German, Japanese, or Korean. If you want a BMW that you just want to be seen in then drive a 328, much simpler engine with a lot fewer moving parts to go wrong.

I came from a DSM, so I guess some of this stuff doesn't even seem like a big deal to me. That car was basically a perfect engine block surrounded by half-assed garbage parts, Japanese parts as well, so this theory that the Japanese create these perfect vehicles is hilarious. Anything Japanese that includes a turbo has just as many issues as a 335i does.
There is a well documented and significant difference in reliability between top tier Japanese makes and the Germans. No amount of personal anecdote will change that. And DSMs are exceptions, not rules, when it comes to Japanese reliability. Everyone knows they were POS, regardless of how much power they made.

I am coming from Subaru community, and I find your claim that Japanese turbo cars are just as unreliable as the N54, which tanked BMW in CR reliability survey, to be quite hilarious. We also need to distinguish between reliability when the cars were used as intended by the manufacturer, and the engine's ability to make a lot of power. Two completely different things.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #130
hickoryE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 335i

Quote:
I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
I know your problem. You're paying $1,000,000 for fixing a leaking valve cover gasket...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #131
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Holy ignorance.......get serious and go read all my posts in this thread rather then choosing what you want to reply to.

You can call unintended acceleration due to carpet overriding or fat ladies thong jammed up from factory it is still unintended acceleration.

Go brush up on your ignorance with regards to Toyota's. The Toyota's new cars have just failed brand new safety test crashes, they have had lawsuits filed against them for run away cars. They have had stranded their customers many times until lawsuit was filed for them to take corrective measure. Such was the case with their chronic sludge issues with 3.0 liter /3.3 liter engines that were leaving folks with nearly 50% of their cars price in engine repairs.

Here is a link of Toyota's issues with engines.

http://toyotasludge.com/resources

Bottom line is No car manufacturer is perfect. Some times they take corrective measures themselves and some time we as consumers have to force them to take action. I am not here to defend BMW they have their own issues and they also do recalls voluntarily as well as some times we have to push the envelope with them . The HPFP issues that you are complaining about has been taken care of by recalls and by extending warranty to 120K. What more you want BMW to do........kiss your feet and salute you 3 times a day for buying their car

Get real dude all car makers have issues weather it is BMW or Toyota.

However, if it comes down to driving dynamics I would take BMW lineup over Toyota line up any day. I am happy in my 335i you can go drive a prius if it makes you that happy.

Quote:
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #132
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Holy ignorance.......get serious and go read all my posts in this thread rather then choosing what you want to reply to.

You can call unintended acceleration due to carpet overriding or fat ladies thong jammed up from factory it is still unintended acceleration.

Go brush up on your ignorance with regards to Toyota's. The Toyota's new cars have just failed brand new safety test crashes, they have had lawsuits filed against them for run away cars. They have had stranded their customers many times until lawsuit was filed for them to take corrective measure. Such was the case with their chronic sludge issues with 3.0 liter /3.3 liter engines that were leaving folks with nearly 50% of their cars price in engine repairs.

Here is a link of Toyota's issues with engines.

http://toyotasludge.com/resources

Bottom line is No car manufacturer is perfect. Some times they take corrective measures themselves and some time we as consumers have to force them to take action. I am not here to defend BMW they have their own issues and they also do recalls voluntarily as well as some times we have to push the envelope with them . The HPFP issues that you are complaining about has been taken care of by recalls and by extending warranty to 120K. What more you want BMW to do........kiss your feet and salute you 3 times a day for buying their car

Get real dude all car makers have issues weather it is BMW or Toyota.

However, if it comes down to driving dynamics I would take BMW lineup over Toyota line up any day. I am happy in my 335i you can go drive a prius if it makes you that happy.
Why so angry? just posting my experience and opinion. My point is when you buy one of these things you KNOW for a fact that these problems will occur. In the case of the injectors they usually go 2 or 3 at a time and that's how they repair them instead of all at once when the first problem arises.
Carpet overriding accelerator may cause unintended accel but that was not a manufacturers problem. I don't care to compare BMW to anyone.....couldn't care any less.
Appreciate 0