E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need more Neg Camber with M3 suspension parts but....

02-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6spd

Smile Need more Neg Camber with M3 suspension parts but....

but.... My question is:

Is the M3 wishbone is all I need to achieve more Negative camber ?

and, what would be the benefit of adding the M3 Front Tension Rod ?

Thanks for your help

Note: I had the PSS10 installed with the pin drilled out, but I only have 0.9 degree Neg camber and I want to have more....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

To get more negative camber out of the fronts you would need camber plates from either Ground Control or Vorshlag.

The benefits of M3 components gives your e90 stiffer bushings and improves handling as you gain M3 suspension geometry. Your steering should feel more precise.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin@bavarianx View Post
To get more negative camber out of the fronts you would need camber plates from either Ground Control or Vorshlag.

The benefits of M3 components gives your e90 stiffer bushings and improves handling as you gain M3 suspension geometry. Your steering should feel more precise.
You also get a little negative camber. I experienced -0.4 and -0.5 degrees. Take the alignment pins out and you can get about -1 degree of camber.

That might be enough for the OP. Vorshlags are exceptional but too noisy for some.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdriver View Post
but.... My question is:

Is the M3 wishbone is all I need to achieve more Negative camber ?

and, what would be the benefit of adding the M3 Front Tension Rod ?

Thanks for your help

Note: I had the PSS10 installed with the pin drilled out, but I only have 0.9 degree Neg camber and I want to have more....
We have done all the R&D back in 2008.

If you are simply looking for a bit more camber, the M3 wishbone is all you need to achieve that. You will get between -0.5 to -0.75, some have reported more.

The benefit of the M3 tension rod is to reduce caster change and suspension deflection under braking and cornering loads. It will also give you better feedback and speed up driver's input as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We have done all the R&D back in 2008.

If you are simply looking for a bit more camber, the M3 wishbone is all you need to achieve that. You will get between -0.5 to -0.75, some have reported more.

The benefit of the M3 tension rod is to reduce caster change and suspension deflection under braking and cornering loads. It will also give you better feedback and speed up driver's input as well.

Thanks so much for your input and information....... as the suspension settle down a bit, I measure it today and found out the front camber increase to -1.5 ( with pin already remove) and the front tires is no longer hitting the inner fender, however the rear camber increase to -2.6 ( which I think is a little more than I need)

Giving the current situation, if I install the M wishbone I may get -2 degree of camber and I'm not too sure is it too much for (fast) street driving..... I'll consider the M tension rod if it can enhance driver's input. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

you do realize your tires are going to wear out sooner with those aggressive camber settings.

consider you are in HK and there are more twisty roads than highway driving, you may be okay.

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input and information....... as the suspension settle down a bit, I measure it today and found out the front camber increase to -1.5 ( with pin already remove) and the front tires is no longer hitting the inner fender, however the rear camber increase to -2.6 ( which I think is a little more than I need)

Giving the current situation, if I install the M wishbone I may get -2 degree of camber and I'm not too sure is it too much for (fast) street driving..... I'll consider the M tension rod if it can enhance driver's input. Thanks again
      02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
you do realize your tires are going to wear out sooner with those aggressive camber settings.

consider you are in HK and there are more twisty roads than highway driving, you may be okay.
I fully understand and thanks for your concern, this is why I set both F&R toe at zero. From my experience, camber is not the biggest factor on uneven worn tires but the toe is. Also, like u said... HK has so many twisty road than straight hwy... that can help to even out the tires
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

You can run up to -2 of front camber with increase the inside tire wear if you do most of your driving in the twisty. If you do mostly highway driving, then I would keep the front camber right around -1.5 or less.

Rear camber should be -2.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
....Vorshlags are exceptional but too noisy for some.
If your Vorshlag camber plates are noisy, you installed them wrong. Most likely you didn't tighten the nut on the strut top with an impact.
      02-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

You can also get the Dinan camber plates. No noise there.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
You can also get the Dinan camber plates. No noise there.
It raises the ride hight about 1/4" - 3/8" though. And they're not adjustable.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
It raises the ride hight about 1/4" - 3/8" though. And they're not adjustable.
True, but there's no parts to wear out, nothing to rattle around. It does raise the stack up height, but my PSS10s were low anyway so the 1/4" increase was not really a problem. I got -1.8* with just the Dinan plates, lowered 1" from OEM sport suspension, and pins removed. I'm looking to do the M3 arms soon myself to get a bit more camber up front. Just waiting until the bushings in the stock arms are toast.
      02-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I've got Dinan plates as well. I also have stage 3 suspension with the M3 bits and was able to get -2.3 deg up front. I just wish they didn't raise the front. The car would look way better with the front lower.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Ah got it, understood. If that really bothers you, I think you can get the Vorshlag plates which have a low stack up height which would lower the front, but hopefully it doesn't change it so much it changes the balance of the car. Double check with Vorshlag on the stack up height, but even with the stock style spring perches I recall it was a lower stack up than OEM.
      02-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
If your Vorshlag camber plates are noisy, you installed them wrong. Most likely you didn't tighten the nut on the strut top with an impact.
Just the metal to metal connection makes the more clunky sound over bumps. That's why Dinan sells plates with cushioning. Quieter.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Most of times the noise is not in the plates, but rather in the strut. Noisy strut internals gets amplified by the chassis through the camber plates. Properly installed plates are not noisy.

KW's and Koni's are two struts that often make noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Vorshlag camber plates are by far the best, most durable, most reliable, and nicest design. Ran them on my E36 M3 with Ohlins HMRC front dampers - no noise that I could tell. HP is right about the dampers possibly being the noisy component, not the plates. They simply transmit more noise from the road, but only the most picky drivers have ever mentioned anything.

You can get the same result from the M3 tension struts (thrust arms) by just changing to M3 bushings. The arms are the same, the bushings are the only different part.

And you can run -2 up to -2.5 deg camber up front with very little increase in front tire wear. They will wear faster on the inside edge, but by then the tire is pretty whipped anyway. Front toe at the low end of factory spec or even zero is OK. Rear toe at zero is not recommended - hurts putting power down exiting turns. I like -1.7 to -2.0 camber in the rear, factory toe in spec or toward the low end of the spec. For full race, we run LOTS of rear toe in and lots of front toe out - turns better and puts power down better. And tons of camber and caster - like 10-11 degrees of caster and up to -5 camber up front, -3.5 in the rear.
      06-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
OP did you ever go through with this setup (M3 wishbone but non-M3 tension strut)? If yes, how is it working out for you?

I'm contemplating it but interested in hearing from people who've actually done it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
M3 control arms and tension rods here. I also knocked out the alignment pins. The car has -1.4 degrees camber on the front and -2.5 degrees of camber in the rear.

Yes, it does feels a little more stable during turn-in. Yes, there is a little more road feedback transmitted through the steering wheel, but in all honesty, I think a lot of people here are overblowing the effects of the M3 front suspension.

If you want to be serious on the track, you will need camber plates along with properly sorted out coilovers.