E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Anyone else have problems with Costco gas pumps?

01-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Anyone else have problems with Costco gas pumps?

My car seems to have an issue with the filler neck breather pipe; it prematurely stops filling pretty frequently. What's odd is, I don't want to say it's EXCLUSIVE to Costco pumps, but it sure seems to be less of an issue elsewhere. Anyone else notice the same? Anyone else successfully fixed a breather pipe issue on your own? Replacing it looks to be a colossal PITA, but I can't seem to find any info on just snaking it or something.
      01-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have the same issue with a local gas station, I simply turn the nozzle 180 degrees and no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have the same issue with a local gas station, I simply turn the nozzle 180 degrees and no more issues.
Rotating is usually how I get through it, but it's still annoying as hell and not foolproof. The only way I can reliably fill the tank instead of arbitrarily under-filling it is to put my key in and watch the needle.
      01-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Yep I've noticed the same thing. I now roll-down my rear-right window when I'm filling up at Costco and have the car's electronics turned on (press start-button with key in without foot on brake) so that I can tell when I'm actually full as the fuel gauge does move without the engine on.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
Yep I've noticed the same thing.
Only at Costco? Mostly at Costco? I'd like to figure out whether it's a design issue or a maintenance issue.
      01-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Mine does the same thing with different gas stations but not all. Annoying AF but I'm not gonna spend money on something so trivial.

Never toughed Costco gas after a bad experience more than 15 years ago. My car stalled multiple times after filling up at Costco. Plus, I'm not waiting in line for 20 minutes to buy gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I think it's just particular pumps. Some are worse than others - there's a local Shell station that you have to run at the very lowest setting or it will stop constantly. They are poorly maintained too so I avoid them (once got sprayed in the leg with gas because one of their hoses was completely broken).

Costco here maintains their stuff really well so I've been using them lately. While it sometimes stops before I know it's full, I already know how many gallons it will end up taking (usually at least 14), so if it stops at 8 gallons I know I can keep going.

Modern cars have very tightly regulated evaporative emissions so the tanks are designed to be basically air tight. I don't think you can really avoid this issue entirely. I doubt you could 'fix' it at all.

Also never once waited in line to get gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Only at Costco? Mostly at Costco? I'd like to figure out whether it's a design issue or a maintenance issue.
I primarily fill up only at Costco with the occasional Shell/Chevron (Costco lines too long) so I'm not sure if its a maintenance issue. I can't recall the last time I was frustrated at a Shell/Chevron though.

If this is a maintenance issue with our cars and not a design issue at the pump.. I wonder if this is covered under the SULEV warranty? Seeing how everything else fuel related seems to be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
If this is a maintenance issue with our cars and not a design issue at the pump.. I wonder if this is covered under the SULEV warranty? Seeing how everything else fuel related seems to be covered.
My thoughts exactly. Faults with the filler neck that result in evaporative emissions would certainly fit the spirit of the warranty, but I'm not sure where the threshold is.
      03-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
My car seems to have an issue with the filler neck breather pipe; it prematurely stops filling pretty frequently. What's odd is, I don't want to say it's EXCLUSIVE to Costco pumps, but it sure seems to be less of an issue elsewhere. Anyone else notice the same? Anyone else successfully fixed a breather pipe issue on your own? Replacing it looks to be a colossal PITA, but I can't seem to find any info on just snaking it or something.
Reviving this because I believe I have finally found how to fix this issue. It's not a pump problem either. Happens at any gas station I go too, unless I'm filling up on e85 for some reason. Bought my car at 19k miles now at 122k and I've had the issue since 60k~ miles. My car threw a code for the fuel vent valve, but I ended up replacing the wrong piece (I replaced the one in front near the intake because of what the dealer told me). The one we need to change is near the fuel tank. There are multiple vent valves and lines that go from the fuel tank. After looking on realoem in the fuel tank section, the three lines it could be are relatively cheap and I will be replacing then one by one to find which it is. I will update once it has been done!
      04-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
chanke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 3351 manual 6 speed

Hi. Did you figure out which line was the problem? I too have a 2100 335i. I use an independent BMW shop for repairs. As well as the filling up the tank issue, I keep getting an error that indicates the fuel tank vent valve is stuck open when it is not. This valve has been replaced and the error kept persisting, then the shop replaced the DMTL. Error light still persisting. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
Quote:
It's the car choking on the bad gas! It's telling you pull out! It does'nt want to catch the "ick".
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

There's a new Sam's club by me that has this issue. It's the new pumps, they also don't allow the auto pump, you have to stand there and hold the nozzle like a peasant.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanke View Post
Hi. Did you figure out which line was the problem? I too have a 2100 335i. I use an independent BMW shop for repairs. As well as the filling up the tank issue, I keep getting an error that indicates the fuel tank vent valve is stuck open when it is not. This valve has been replaced and the error kept persisting, then the shop replaced the DMTL. Error light still persisting. Thanks.
I did find the issue, it was the last line I bought that went into the charcoal filter. It is a pain in the ass to do all three, but that will fix it. It could be either three for anyone else with this issue, so I would recommend replacing all three. Now at 124k miles and no lights on the dash finally.
      05-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
JOHN-SBK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 R56 S

I've had a few cars in the past that did that. Some pumps were worse that others. The way I found to make sure the pump don't stop before the tank is full is to pull back on the gun a little. Say you insert it completely, then pull back about one inch. Also, pump the gas a little slower, trigger to about 80%.

With that method, I've been able to fill the tank completely without stopping early on all the sensitive cars I've had.

I'm so used to it that I've been filling my cars like that for the last 20 years. Never a problem.
Appreciate 0