E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cooler weather and ticking engine woes...

10-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Cooler weather and ticking engine woes...

Hey guys, temperatures dropped about 25 degrees around here aaannnnddd my ticking begins. I bought my car CPO 4/2011, lifters were changed 3 months before I bought it. In the summer there's absolutely no tick, as soon as cooler weather comes around it begins ticking. I just don't want to go back and get more stuff done, I have NO faith in dealerships. They've done the dumbest stuff to me.

Any of you guys just living with the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Known issue that a new engine head has to be changed to remove the ticking sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
keeedle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Garage List
2008 BMW E90  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian
Hey guys, temperatures dropped about 25 degrees around here aaannnnddd my ticking begins. I bought my car CPO 4/2011, lifters were changed 3 months before I bought it. In the summer there's absolutely no tick, as soon as cooler weather comes around it begins ticking. I just don't want to go back and get more stuff done, I have NO faith in dealerships. They've done the dumbest stuff to me.

It's just too costly to fix since my car is out of warranty. The stealership quoted me around 2-3k just to change the lifters. There is no mechanical problems only the ticking is annoying. I choose to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

I get it everytime I don't let my car warm up, but easy way to get rid of it as a temporary fix is just drive it till your car is at operating temperature.

I haven't had it come back for awhile now, so I just learn to live with it.
      10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post

If you are still under warranty just go to a trusted dealer and tell them. Like Desi said they should replace your head if the lifters were done previously.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
OP have you tried this?

2.pdf
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

N52 engine is known to have a clicking noise when cold due to bad engineering. I have an 08 328i with only 55K miles and it does it, even when the engine is warm, sounds like a freaking Chevy. But I notice everything I change out the oil, it stops. I used to change my oil at 8K miles, and it seems like the older the oil, the louder the noise. So l have been changing my oil every 5K miles now. Next time pay attention after an oil change, you will see the ticking noise will be gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
They don't replace the heads anymore for this problem - they do the lifters and followers only...

And your engine has to have been made before a certain date - they check by looking at serial #'s on the engine.

My car does it only when it's very cold, I took it in, and they would do nothing, as they stated my serial #'s show that I already have the most updated parts
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

My car did this when I first got it... cpo at 25K miles, I now have 55K and it doesn't do it anymore. It stopped when I started using lubro-moly oil additive. The stuff with the molybdenum additive, a tried and true friction reducer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
My car did this when I first got it... cpo at 25K miles, I now have 55K and it doesn't do it anymore. It stopped when I started using lubro-moly oil additive. The stuff with the molybdenum additive, a tried and true friction reducer.
Didn't think it was a result of friction - though it was a result of cold weather, thick oil until warmup, yielding lack of proper oil flow to the hydraulic lifters combined with the internal design of the lifters?

Replacing the lifters & followers works most of the time, yet some state that the ticking eventually comes back
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

The idea behind the lubro-moly is that it builds a layer of slippery molybdenum on all internal parts, including the upper valve train. So even the upper parts of the engine have lubrication in those critical few seconds at cold starts before the oil reaches up there. I don't doubt there may be an issue with the size of some oil galleries that prevent good flow till the oil thins, all I know is that for me I was able to severely reduce the knock to what I would call normal for any car by using this oil additive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
They don't replace the heads anymore for this problem - they do the lifters and followers only...

And your engine has to have been made before a certain date - they check by looking at serial #'s on the engine.

My car does it only when it's very cold, I took it in, and they would do nothing, as they stated my serial #'s show that I already have the most updated parts
How do you know that they aren't replacing heads anymore? Have anything solid to back that up? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Just deal with it. I've had this fixed under warranty multiple times and it always came back.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How do you know that they aren't replacing heads anymore? Have anything solid to back that up? Thanks.
Yup, took my car to dealer to have them check if it was covered - asked them if I had to go thru the routine of 1st having the lifters replaced, then come back in again when that didn't work to have the head replaced - which is just plain stupid.

They stated that NO, the instructions don't call for replacement of the head anymore - just replace the lifters & followers in one visit and that's it...

Frankly, I really don't want service tech's tearing my engine apart to replace the head just to get rid of an annoying noise at only very cold temps anyway.

My car only did it once or twice upon initial startup when it was 16 deg out.

And it was not covered - the serial #'s on my engine showed it had the most updated parts available.

So just goes to show you that even with the updated parts you will get the ticking from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #15
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I assume you've tried this..?

Ticking noise cure.pdf
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:

Yes I had this problem. It didn't tick every time, but when it did it was usually very loud.

I ran 10w-30 Castrol Full Synthetic in mine, and the dealer suggested trying 5w-30 to see if that would help the ticking. I was experiencing a lot of ticking about two months ago (probably the cold), so I went ahead and did an oil change with the 5w-30 and haven't had an issue since. I will occasionally hear a little bit right at start up, but it disappears within 2 seconds.

The tech at the dealer did tell me that the lifter tick you hear is not harming the vehicle in any way. Not sure about how accurate that is. Nevertheless, the ticking is enough to drive you nuts, damage or no damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I assume you've tried this..?

Attachment 836293
Yea, I've seen that, never tried it myself.

Quote:
Yup, took my car to dealer to have them check if it was covered - asked them if I had to go thru the routine of 1st having the lifters replaced, then come back in again when that didn't work to have the head replaced - which is just plain stupid.

They stated that NO, the instructions don't call for replacement of the head anymore - just replace the lifters & followers in one visit and that's it...

Frankly, I really don't want service tech's tearing my engine apart to replace the head just to get rid of an annoying noise at only very cold temps anyway.

And it was not covered - the serial #'s on my engine showed it had the most updated parts available.

So just goes to show you that even with the updated parts you will get the ticking from time to time.
Oh ok, yea I have it occasionally, not nearly enough to let someone tear apart my engine to fix! Lol. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Just deal with it. I've had this fixed under warranty multiple times and it always came back.
Oh yea, I don't care anymore either. This is actually an old thread someone revived. I'm over the ticking. It happens at times in the cold, but whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8ksn View Post
I ran 10w-30 Castrol Full Synthetic in mine, and the dealer suggested trying 5w-30 to see if that would help the ticking. I was experiencing a lot of ticking about two months ago (probably the cold), so I went ahead and did an oil change with the 5w-30 and haven't had an issue since. I will occasionally hear a little bit right at start up, but it disappears within 2 seconds.
If that's the case, then going to 0W30 Castrol (GC) would help further, especially in colder climates.

It's also worth noting that the oil BMW uses in Germany, and the oil the engine was designed with, is 0W30. Not the 5W30 that BMW uses in North America (due to the high sulfur gas we have here.)

Last edited by AlanAZ; 03-26-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
E90X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10
Known issue that a new engine head has to be changed to remove the ticking sound.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90X View Post
+1
So you've had the head replaced? Please tell us more.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
BradZditosky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Thats odd, because i just took my car in and got the lifters and rockers replaced and they told me that if the ticking noise does come back to bring the car back to them and they will replace the head.

Quote:

03-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
bimmerquick43321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

same here, I think it's normal when cold, as a lot of other cars well, noticed gaz quality seems to have an impact, could just be in my head as well.
Appreciate 1