E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car returned in poor condition from dealers :( (pic heavy)

07-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Car returned in poor condition from dealers :( (pic heavy)

I sent my car in for some rust to be fixed under paintwork guarantee, there is another thread on this, not huge rust but probably best fixed.

I'll start with the good news, they appear to have done a good job of the repair itself. The paintwork match looks good, and I can't even tell where the issue was anymore. I also had some service work done, a new battery because mine was past it, and a new exhaust solenoid which seems to have sorted the rough idle and improved the low RPM feel of the car. No complaints so far.

Onto the not so good news.

When I dropped the car off it had 1/4 tank of fuel, when I picked it up it was empty. At this point I was going to go back into the dealer and complain, but I decided not to as I didn't want to get into yet another stressful situation with a BMW dealer. It's only 1/4 tank of fuel and I had a fair chunk of work done, life goes on, be happy. All the settings on the car have been wiped too, which is fine, but a little bit of communication wouldn't go a miss here. I don't know why they were wiped, maybe updates? Who knows. I don't even know the part numbers they replaced.

So I drove off and got some fuel at Shell. When I got back from paying I noticed that the drivers door trim is not correctly installed and now bent. OK one mistake, they can fix that. I continued on the way to get my other half as she was dropping her car for cam-belt change. I pick her up and she opens the passenger door and the rubber weather seal flops down in front of her. Hmmmmm seems they stuck the intern on this job, but they can fix that when they do the other side. I check my door too and see that there is some masking tape just left behind, some more carelessness. The car is driving great though and the gearbox feels smoother and faster at shifting than before, perhaps they have done some software updates.

Saturday we go out for a drive. Car is driving a dream, engine is sounding better than ever, a really good clean V8 sound coming out the back. I notice the windows are rattling a lot with the roof down. Having had these adjusted soon after I bought it they were definitely not this bad. There is always some rattle with the vert, it is the price that is paid, but this is moving a significant amount. Usually you don't hear much at all over the sound of the road, and these noises are generally more of a problem when the roof is up.

Sunday we go out to get some shopping. I stick my hand in the door to push it open and feel a load of screws. At this point I realise they have just done a poor job and I need to stop making excuses for them. It would appear that they haven't even put some parts back in! I'm guessing these are from within the door somewhere and have a good chance of being the reason the window is moving around so much. When BMW dealers are taking your car apart they just use your car to store all the bits and pieces they remove. Doesn't seem very methodical to me. I guess there is the possibility that they ordered new screws because they couldn't find them, but that's probably as likely as me becoming the Pope. Don't get stressed mode has faded now and I start actively looking for issues.

Here's what my untrained eye found in 5 minutes.
  • The windscreen rubber strip on the drivers side is twisted and not correctly installed.
  • The windscreen rubber strip isn't flush on the top corners (not sure if its always been like this)
  • There appears to be paint peeling on the intake vents, or some form of over-spray? I don't even know what it is, but it is quite flexible and 100% wasn't there when I dropped it off.
  • The passenger door has chips on the edge like its scraped something hard.
  • There is over-spray all over the windscreen and front bonnet! It feels like sand paper. As above, this area was polished before.
  • The rear trim of the car is covered in dirt marks and hand prints.
  • There are stubborn marks on the paint work and some in the shape of the fingers of a hand. They wouldn't come out with a quick hand polish, so I'm guessing it will need clay, machine polish or perhaps sanding.
  • There are two small dents in the boot, another area I polished not long ago so would have noticed these.
  • And a small dent in one of the rear roof pillars. A tiny blemish, the kind that it looks like someone has been leaning on the body work as per the boot dents

Am I wrong to be annoyed or is this just expected? A few of these things and I wouldn't be bothered. I don't expect the car to be perfectly clean, and I know people are working on it and may leave marks. With such a large list though I feel like they've not taken any care at all, to the point where they have't even bothered to put it back together correctly.

I won't name the garage yet as I am in process of dealing with them, but given the poor job they have done so far I'm not sure I want them to resolve it, although I don't think I have a choice.

Anyone got any advice on course of action? I'm thinking I might try and escalate to BMW UK. I know they are not interested either but I'm sick of poor quality jobs dealers do. The vehicle is in worse condition than when it went in. I dread to think what they'll do to remove the over spray. Probably aggressive paint thinners or some other heavy handed method.

Does anyone know what is going on in the intake vents too? I was tempted to peel it off, but I figured there is the chance its actually the original paint. Given that they have over-sprayed the bonnet I figured it may just be that.
Attached Images

Last edited by djgandy; 07-18-2016 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #2
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

Absolutely Un-acceptable... Take it back before they use the excuse that its been several day's so Y did you not complain before hand... This grips my shit,,,,, and if it were mine they would have got both barrels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
stringy93
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318d msport

Has your Bmw dealership definitely got a body shop? Reason I ask is because I know both my local dealers offer a bodyshop service yet don't have bodyshops, when I enquired I was told they send them off site for work doing I wouldnt accept that, shocking work. I've found a clay bay works quite well for getting overspray off bodywork
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Demand to speak to the dealer principle - do not faff about with the layers and layers of management.

They lost the ability to defend this work the second they let you drive off in it!

Shocking, and I feel for you!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #5
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringy93 View Post
Has your Bmw dealership definitely got a body shop? Reason I ask is because I know both my local dealers offer a bodyshop service yet don't have bodyshops, when I enquired I was told they send them off site for work doing I wouldnt accept that, shocking work. I've found a clay bay works quite well for getting overspray off bodywork
My local doesn't so I had to send it to a branch that does. I was thinking of claying it off myself, but I shouldn't have to. Also what is looking like paint failure on the vents is worrying me too. This car was immaculate when it went in. The only marks noted were on the wheels, and that's the result of the BMW quality refurb deteriorating.

I might take it to a detailer and see what they can do and have the garage pay. I'm not sure I believe they have the competence to fix any of this without making more mess.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

The paint looks like its peeling in those pictures mate - no detailer is going to be able to fix that

Its going to need further paintwork to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #7
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

It looksl ike it\s been farmed out to another shop. A bmw shop would know how to put those pieces of trim back.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Thats not on at all mate. I would take it back and complain tbh
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

It is worth complaining mate. I was of the same opinion about whether it was worth it or not! I had issues with my new vert and I took it to BMW UK who have agreed to extend my AUC for another year as compensation.

I just hope the dealer isn't Berry as that's who I had issues with.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

This is very sad sadly I've spoken to Andy via PM got the body shop right first time round there is in my mind a specific route you take in cases like this to get the desired impact and the key is to do is simultaneously to get the needed answer.

Looking at the pics you can clearly see all sorts have taken place its poor attention to detail plus I'd wager its been done as an in/out procedure meaning that to strip paint, re fit and hand over was done in a short space of time(BMW body shops now offer a smart repair facility might have been left to them to do). Only a guess but as stationary cars cost money I'd say perhaps this is where this has all gone, measure twice cut once is the best policy this will result in a re visit a waste of everyone's time as the task in hand now is far more in-depth new trim pieces which aren't cheap will need to be purchased and for what! All for a rush job which ultimately come off the business's bottom line.

Hope you get it sorted
      07-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Fucking amateurs. Hope you get it sorted bud.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Email the DP ASAP. Thats a fucking disgrace. Dont waste time/money taking it to a detailer, they cant fix shoddy work like that. Some of those seals and trims will need replacing, and I would suspect the paintwork may need to be done again in places.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

I am stunned by those pictures. So is this a BMW main dealer??? If so I would be wanting to speak to someone very high up with BMW UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Email the DP ASAP. Thats a fucking disgrace. Dont waste time/money taking it to a detailer, they cant fix shoddy work like that. Some of those seals and trims will need replacing, and I would suspect the paintwork may need to be done again in places.
Done that, I'll see if I can get him on the phone later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
I am stunned by those pictures. So is this a BMW main dealer??? If so I would be wanting to speak to someone very high up with BMW UK.
Yes a main dealer. I'd speak to BMW UK, but I fear that could make things worse for me if I'm not careful and end up in a situation where neither party wants to take responsibility and BMW UK not honoring warranty or w/e due to poor quality work.

I'll keep that ammo in my pocket for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
AndyN
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i DCT

Garage List
2010 E93 335i DCT  [0.00]
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
I really sympathise with you, totally unacceptable for anyone, let alone a main dealer to treat your car this way.

Best of luck finding a satisfactory outcome, I really hope they accept how appalling the quality of work is.

Turbo Dynamics Stage 2+ Hybrid turbos - Evolve FMIC - VRSF catless DPs - Remus Race exhaust - Injen CAI - VRSF CP & HKS BOV - Quaife LSD - Gladen 120.4 DSP kit - CIC to NBT Upgrade - JB4 G5 w/ race flash - Ohlins R&T suspension -
next mod: go faster stripe.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Go in to see the DP and talk him through the issues. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I would seriously question why your car has been driven when you only went in for bodywork. I would argue they have rushed the job just to hoon an individual m3 for the weekend. Its happened to me and is the reason why i carefully record the mileage and keep dashcam running before i give it to a dealer.

i hope you can reveal the dealership one day so that we can all avoid them!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I would seriously question why your car has been driven when you only went in for bodywork. I would argue they have rushed the job just to hoon an individual m3 for the weekend. Its happened to me and is the reason why i carefully record the mileage and keep dashcam running before i give it to a dealer.

i hope you can reveal the dealership one day so that we can all avoid them!

Good luck!
It went in for bodywork and service analysis. They pulled up codes for exhaust solenoid and replaced that. It went in on the Monday for bodywork and was in service by the Friday. I then picked it up the Friday after as they didn't complete the service work until Wednesday/Thursday. While it was in for service I was told the reason my stop start wasn't working and my battery kept on draining was because the Exhaust Solenoid was faulty and that was draining the battery . I just said yeah.....sure, and let it with them as eventually they'd realise that is BS. I was then phoned to say I needed to pay for a new battery. OFC I didn't as I knew it's covered under warranty, but how on earth would they know that, not like they are BMW dealers or anything.

I actually took a photo of the mileage the night before, after putting £20 of fuel in it, but when I checked my phone again to get it was gone That same thing has happened to me a few times before lol. Suddenly the photo goes and its always the dash ones, it's like the phone auto deletes it because it thinks it is a rubbish photo haha.

Anyway this shouldn't have been a rush job. I gave them all the time they needed. I rarely use the car, it's my weekend car and because of that I know every inch of it!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Proper amateur job that
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #20
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Horrible work/looks very amateurish......raise a stink about this!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #21
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Definitely complain.

I raised a complaint and went mad at the service woman for letting them wash mine went it went in for a service (even though it was on the job sheet several times and I leave a note in the windscreen)
      07-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #22
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Suddenly the photo goes and its always the dash ones, it's like the phone auto deletes it because it thinks it is a rubbish photo haha.
tell us more about this, because its not the way smart phones work. sure you haven't got a service like facebook pics or dropbox installed that uploads then deletes? or it hasn't been auto moved to another album by google photos?

might be able to find the photo for your evidence.
Appreciate 0