E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cylinder 3 misfire @ 4800 miles?

03-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Cylinder 3 misfire @ 4800 miles?

So I thought it was the fuel pump, got the rattles and shakes like a mother and 3 times went into limp mode, no fun. Got it diagnosed and it was cylinder 3 misfire codes on a tool that can read 2007 models but not all 08's(which I have an 08). My SA said he hasn't had to replace any spark plugs on a 335i yet and doesn't know if that is what is doing it. Anyone care to guess? My guess would be a spark plug...any other suggestions what it could be? And now with these wastegate problems...oh boy. BMW = Big Money Wasted . Second problem in 2 months, first being a dead battery. Car is in the shop and hopefully my SA will call me tomorrow and tell me what the problem is specifically but anyone care to take a stab at it in the meantime?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
So I thought it was the fuel pump, got the rattles and shakes like a mother and 3 times went into limp mode, no fun. Got it diagnosed and it was cylinder 3 misfire codes on a tool that can read 2007 models but not all 08's(which I have an 08). My SA said he hasn't had to replace any spark plugs on a 335i yet and doesn't know if that is what is doing it. Anyone care to guess? My guess would be a spark plug...any other suggestions what it could be? And now with these wastegate problems...oh boy. BMW = Big Money Wasted . Second problem in 2 months, first being a dead battery. Car is in the shop and hopefully my SA will call me tomorrow and tell me what the problem is specifically but anyone care to take a stab at it in the meantime?
OK. This is getting paranoid.
What the hell is up with all these problems lately and all of a sudden?
      03-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

A friend of mine had his 335i throw the CEL several times. He pulled the code with an OBD reader and it indicated misfiring. BMW replaced the spark plugs and that fixed the issue. Hopefully it's the same in your case.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

my case...one of my boost solenoids was defective
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

my car was also misfiring, which is also the wastgeate...i had them replace the sparkplugs, but they seem fine. i dunno i think many more people have wastegate failure, they just dont realize it. Ive had this noise for the majority of owning my car and thought it was an exhaust rattle. i think everyone who hears some kind of rattle should take it into the dealership without the piggyback just to make sure.
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
When my HPFP failed, so did 1 Cyl. spark plug; the Tech found misfires, and tested the plugs...found 1 had gone bad, so it was replaced. No big deal...everything has been fine since the HPFP and 1 spark plug were replaced under warranty.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkaldas View Post
my case...one of my boost solenoids was defective
Defective solenoid caused a misfire?
      08-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
kennyg
new BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Quote:
This is exactly my scenario today - 650 miles, rttles and shakes and limp, service says cylinder misfire and car is fine. This is my first BMW and my confidence is very rattled. Why a misfire? How to stop it from happening in the future? Rideelement, any updates on your situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyg View Post
This is exactly my scenario today - 650 miles, rttles and shakes and limp, service says cylinder misfire and car is fine. This is my first BMW and my confidence is very rattled. Why a misfire? How to stop it from happening in the future? Rideelement, any updates on your situation?
It happens sometimes; I had 1 plug replaced due to misfires (at the same time my HPFP failed) a while back and no issues since. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, one of the regularly included scheduled maintenance items is to replace all your spark plugs at no additional cost (since you paid for it by buying/leasing a BMW ).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I haven't had any problems thus far but this highly concerns me with the stuff I read on here. I may buy something different next time around.
      08-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
A friend of mine had his 335i throw the CEL several times. He pulled the code with an OBD reader and it indicated misfiring. BMW replaced the spark plugs and that fixed the issue. Hopefully it's the same in your case.
Same here......had rough idles for over a month, changed the spark plugs myself, problem solved.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
I haven't had any problems thus far but this highly concerns me with the stuff I read on here. I may buy something different next time around.
Every car has it's issues, whether it's build quality, mechanical, electrical, or other issues. Most will tell you that the "better" Japanese cars (e.g. Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda, Infiniti/Nissan) typically have the best overall reliability records. I find it a trade off...BMW's higher performance, handling, braking, "road feel/connection with the car," and safety outweigh a few minor electrical and mechanical issues now and then. The German cars are known for this.

FWIW, my wife's MB GL450 hasn't had any issues in > 10k mi., except for 2 broken struts, which were of course replaced under warranty. Given MB's reliability record and notoriety for electrical gremlins, I expected my MB to be in the shop much more than my BMW; it's been quite the contrary (not that my car has been in the shop all that much).

btw -- I came from driving Japanese cars exclusively...Infiniti, Lexus mostly.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
kennyg
new BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Every car has it's issues, whether it's build quality, mechanical, electrical, or other issues. Most will tell you that the "better" Japanese cars (e.g. Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda, Infiniti/Nissan) typically have the best overall reliability records. I find it a trade off...BMW's higher performance, handling, braking, "road feel/connection with the car," and safety outweigh a few minor electrical and mechanical issues now and then. The German cars are known for this.

FWIW, my wife's MB GL450 hasn't had any issues in > 10k mi., except for 2 broken struts, which were of course replaced under warranty. Given MB's reliability record and notoriety for electrical gremlins, I expected my MB to be in the shop much more than my BMW; it's been quite the contrary (not that my car has been in the shop all that much).

btw -- I came from driving Japanese cars exclusively...Infiniti, Lexus mostly.
Good post, but it is really a question of expectation. The first time I took my 1999 VW golf into the shop was for routine service. There was a recall on the catalytic converter because it cracked easily and would rattle - they sent me a notice, replaced it, and no worries. Occasional electrical hiccups after 50K miles. I paid 15K for the car and loved it. Took it to 108k miles and enjoyed it all the way.

My next car is a 50K BMW 335xi e90 . Beautiful car, fun to drive for the first 600 miles. I've now taken it into service for a check engine light and limp mode. It takes the joy and euphoria out of owning a new car - I am now worried about whether this will happen again and create a dangerous situation on a highway somewhere. Really no good explanation from service, just have to wait to see if it happens again.

My mother's car is a Lexus ES. Not as fun to drive but a smooth ride. This is her 3rd one on lease. She's never had to service it in the first 3 years other than routine maintenance. Not sure if I want to go the Lexus route, but something to be said for that.

I read someone else's post to not expect spending greater money = greater reliability, however i did have the expectation that buying a bmw means buying a performance machine. If the radio knob came off that is different from a cylinder misfiring or plugs and fuel pumps not working right. I'm not that knowledgable about cars yet, but as a consumer my faith in the brand is shaken by my experience so far. Makes me worry that I won't be able to take this car past the 100k mile marker.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

No more misfires so far here. No more gremlins have showed their ugly heads and I am at 12K miles and about 1800 miles from service. I guess we will see then .
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyg View Post
Good post, but it is really a question of expectation. The first time I took my 1999 VW golf into the shop was for routine service. There was a recall on the catalytic converter because it cracked easily and would rattle - they sent me a notice, replaced it, and no worries. Occasional electrical hiccups after 50K miles. I paid 15K for the car and loved it. Took it to 108k miles and enjoyed it all the way.

My next car is a 50K BMW 335xi e90 . Beautiful car, fun to drive for the first 600 miles. I've now taken it into service for a check engine light and limp mode. It takes the joy and euphoria out of owning a new car - I am now worried about whether this will happen again and create a dangerous situation on a highway somewhere. Really no good explanation from service, just have to wait to see if it happens again.

My mother's car is a Lexus ES. Not as fun to drive but a smooth ride. This is her 3rd one on lease. She's never had to service it in the first 3 years other than routine maintenance. Not sure if I want to go the Lexus route, but something to be said for that.

I read someone else's post to not expect spending greater money = greater reliability, however i did have the expectation that buying a bmw means buying a performance machine. If the radio knob came off that is different from a cylinder misfiring or plugs and fuel pumps not working right. I'm not that knowledgable about cars yet, but as a consumer my faith in the brand is shaken by my experience so far. Makes me worry that I won't be able to take this car past the 100k mile marker.
Hey, Lexus is Lexus quality and Lexus/Toyota reliability; my parents swear by the ES's...just change the oil, rotate the tires, and they're almost trouble-free for many years. With that said, you won't get the high performance ride of a BMW from a Lexus; even the new IS-F is a little "numb" compared with a BMW 335i and M3 (which is what it's supposed to compete with).

btw -- I wouldn't worry too much about getting into an "unsafe" situation with your BMW 335i; I have realized that the BMW's have more electrical and mechanical issues than the Japanese cars b/c they seem to have a more complicated electrical/computer system with more system checks and sensors.

For example, one day about a year ago (when my car had ~ 15k mi; now I have > 30k mi.), I was driving down a long stretch of highway (in the middle of nowhere...next exit was ~ 40 mi. ahead) when suddenly, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree! I had "Active Cruise Control Malfunction," "Active Braking Malfunction," "DSC Malfunction," "DTC Malfunction," and another 1 or 2 more malfunction liights ALL at the same time!!!!! But, the car was driving fine, with no sense of any of these "malfunctions."

I quickly pulled to the side of the road and called my SA to explained the situation. I asked him if I was going to die if I kept on driving the car. He promptly laughed, said "no, you're not going to die," and asked me to hold on while he speaks with one of his Techs. He quickly returned to the phone and told me that it sounds like I have a faulty sensor that is a known issue (and was occurring on many 335i's at the time) and as long as the car is driving ok, I should just bring the car in when I can within the next few days.

Because I was on a business trip, I couldn't bring my car in for service until 2 days later, and when I did, it tuned out to be exactly what he said...a faulty sensor of some kind that tripped all the malfunction lights. These things can certainly freak you out a bit, but if you think about it, these BMWs have so many frickin sensors that it's continuously checking EVERYTHING specifically for your safety! After it was fixed, it's never happened again. Just another perspective for you on that.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
DarrinYuan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw f80

I got the same problem,I got misfire 1,2 and 3 cylinder at 7k miles.And it show p112c code,it make me crazy.I try to change my car now.
Appreciate 0