E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Shitty experience at German Swedish Auto Service, Springfield VA.

10-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Did you check the odometer when you dropped off and picked up? As someone suggested, likely it didn't happen from the bay to the parking space, but they took the car for a spin. I know when I'm down in Arlington it really makes me livid to see MB techs using customer cars to go to the convenient store at lunch time....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
E90MCF
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06' AW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
I appreciate the kind words.
Yes, this happened at German Swedish Auto Service. The owner's name is Bob Drye. I work with customer service and their customer service so far has been horrible, at least from his assistant/receptionist. I have not been able to talk to Bob directly yet.
Just pissed about this, if it had happened to you maybe you wouldn't worry.
They weren't kind words. . . Just it doesn't make sense to slander the messenger(no need to say who it is now since you changed the title).

If you posted all the facts in the first place, your story would be more credible instead of myself having to search and post it up for you. I don't even live in the US. . .

If you happened upon it BEFORE you went in and showed it to them BEFORE you even got your keys. . . I mean what choice would they have but to make you happy right???
- OEM Blacklines - 3M Di-Noc Matte Dry Carbon Vinyl Roof - 19x8.5/19x9.5 Miro M6 Replica 'Time Attack' - 17x8 OEM Style 159 Spider Spoke - Matte Black Grills - LED Interior Kit - License Plate LEDs - CF Roundels/Wheel Caps -
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Just getting all the facts here.

1. New Tires were purchased
Q. Were they delivered directly to the garage?

2. You inspected the car prior to taking the keys
3. You informed the front desk of the damage - prior to taking the keys
4. They were willing to repair the tire

5. You requested a new tire
Q. What did they tell you when you asked for a new tire?

Assuming that the above is true, have you contacted tire rack? Most of these places have a contract with tire rack at which point I am sure tire rack has more pull than you do.

If you haven't done so already, contact tire rack and explain the situation and that you've requested a new tire but they are giving you the run around. A decision should have been made on the spot, you are going to tell me no manager was on duty?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Just getting all the facts here.

1. New Tires were purchased
Q. Were they delivered directly to the garage?

2. You inspected the car prior to taking the keys
3. You informed the front desk of the damage - prior to taking the keys
4. They were willing to repair the tire

5. You requested a new tire
Q. What did they tell you when you asked for a new tire?

Assuming that the above is true, have you contacted tire rack? Most of these places have a contract with tire rack at which point I am sure tire rack has more pull than you do.

If you haven't done so already, contact tire rack and explain the situation and that you've requested a new tire but they are giving you the run around. A decision should have been made on the spot, you are going to tell me no manager was on duty?
Answers.
1-Yes, new tires were purchased. Delivered directly to my house. I inspected them when they came and before I took them to the shop.

2-I inspect the tires prior to taking the keys. (really was mostly checking the rims). Find the screw.

3-I inform the from desk, owner is gone/technicians are gone. Before he even mentions it to me I tell him that if he is thinking about telling me that they can patch it and call it a day he better not even say. He says it anyways. At b\this point I refuse to touch take the car and request to talk to the owner.

4-He says that they can probably buy a new one.
Then the runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, doesn't really give me a definite answer.

5- At this point I'm freaking out. I'm thinking "How the F am I going to go to work in the am..." He offers me a loaner from the shop.
As of right now I have not talked to the owner, they were closed today (saturday).

I'll make sure to get in contact with Tirerack if they give me the run around when I talk to him Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There are people in the World who are actually starving to death. Just trying to bring some perspective.

It's screw in a tire on a car. It probably happens to them once a week. Has anyone actually checked to see if the screw has caused a leak?

It sounds like you went to pick up the car on Friday at shop closing time. Now you go on a BMW Forum and trash talk the place without them having a chance to rectify the situation.

No wonder why we BMW owners get the reputation we have....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There are people in the World who are actually starving to death. Just trying to bring some perspective.

It's screw in a tire on a car. It probably happens to them once a week. Has anyone actually checked to see if the screw has caused a leak?

It sounds like you went to pick up the car on Friday at shop closing time. Now you go on a BMW Forum and trash talk the place without them having a chance to rectify the situation.

No wonder why we BMW owners get the reputation we have....
I think the above is a dumb response. The tires were brand-new, and the OP has not left the lot, i.e. he hasn't driven the vehicle. Such a response would be like saying you bought a new car, and as you were taking delivery, you noticed a screw in the tire.

I agree you have to give shops/people a chance to make things right, but I can't see have a plugged tire from mile 0.

People who play the first world problem card, have you ever been to a third world country and visited orphanages, or seen the elderly thrown away like garbage, or do you simply repeat phrases you've seen on the web? There really is no relationship between a BMW service resolution, and people starving to death. I want to use a 4 letter acronym which starts with a capital S, and ends with a capital U, but I'll hold off.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think the above is a dumb response. The tires were brand-new, and the OP has not left the lot, i.e. he hasn't driven the vehicle. Such a response would be like saying you bought a new car, and as you were taking delivery, you noticed a screw in the tire.

I agree you have to give shops/people a chance to make things right, but I can't see have a plugged tire from mile 0.

People who play the first world problem card, have you ever been to a third world country and visited orphanages, or seen the elderly thrown away like garbage, or do you simply repeat phrases you've seen on the web? There really is no relationship between a BMW service resolution, and people starving to death. I want to use a 4 letter acronym which starts with a capital S, and ends with a capital U, but I'll hold off.
Okay, but it's just a screw in the tire and it was an accident. The OP seems to be making a Federal case over it on the internet when the shop has not yet had the opportunity to fix the problem. The OP has made a statement that he's received lousy customer service, but from what I can tell the shop, based on the time he picked up the car, did not have at its disposal at the time the event occurred, the resources to correct the problem. Had the shop said, "hey it's not our problem, go away", then I could see some justification for harping about lousy customer service.

It's an unfortunate event, but far from catastrophic. I’d bet if the OP had driven the car for a day, gotten a screw in the tire, he’d be back at the shop having the tire plugged and patched for $25 and been on his way. I doubt he’d go order a new tire and have it replaced. To think the tire needs to be replaced is ridiculous; it just needs to be repaired. As I said, I can see where the OP would expect some compensation on the part of the shop to make sure the tire issue was taken care of. But to go on E90 Post at this stage early in the game seems a bit of an overreaction. As far as anyone knows, the screw may not even have made a hole the tire at this point.

BTW, I'm old enough to know there are starving people in the World, prior to the invention of the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Plug it and forget it, no big deal. You will never know the difference. We have been plugging tires at our shop for over 16 years and never seen a problem.

I understand your frustration, but in reality its a tire, plug it who cares.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
Plug it and forget it, no big deal. You will never know the difference. We have been plugging tires at our shop for over 16 years and never seen a problem.

I disagree, you are right a plug is no big deal but the fact of the matter is, it's a brand new tire, I could see if the OP was the one that got the screw but the tire shop should own up and replace, it's now a damaged tire any way you slice it, and it's not what the OP paid for.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
When you pay for a new tire, you should receive a new tire.
When you buy sctrach and dent product, you should have a discount for that, and decide if that is what you want or not.
The shop is imposing to patch the tire, when this is not what was paid for.

Let the customer unhappy, paying price of new for a plugged tire is not correct, is not fair. Even beying an accident the shop should assume responsability and deal with TireRack or eat that. I bet TireRack will tell they should keep the area clean, so this type of thing doesn't happen.

Someone here also talking about hunger in the world... Yes, there is hunger in the world, but why talking about that in this forum? Getting a pluged tire and paying for a new one will not help to solve the hunger in the world. I do not see the point why we should comply with incompetence of the tire shop because of the hunger in the world.

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
I disagree, you are right a plug is no big deal but the fact of the matter is, it's a brand new tire, I could see if the OP was the one that got the screw but the tire shop should own up and replace, it's now a damaged tire any way you slice it, and it's not what the OP paid for.
True, but if that damaged product could be fixed to be basically new again would that be so bad, hell the other three could have plugs in them and they missed the fourth screw. Nobody would ever know and nobody would ever be harmed.

Its not like they destroyed a rim, and then offer to buff it out.......

Its not that I disagree with you, I just think I would be happy with the plug.
Shit happens, give them a break, look on the bright side no wheels were damaged lol.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, but it's just a screw in the tire and it was an accident. The OP seems to be making a Federal case over it on the internet when the shop has not yet had the opportunity to fix the problem. The OP has made a statement that he's received lousy customer service, but from what I can tell the shop, based on the time he picked up the car, did not have at its disposal at the time the event occurred, the resources to correct the problem. Had the shop said, "hey it's not our problem, go away", then I could see some justification for harping about lousy customer service.

It's an unfortunate event, but far from catastrophic. I’d bet if the OP had driven the car for a day, gotten a screw in the tire, he’d be back at the shop having the tire plugged and patched for $25 and been on his way. I doubt he’d go order a new tire and have it replaced. To think the tire needs to be replaced is ridiculous; it just needs to be repaired. As I said, I can see where the OP would expect some compensation on the part of the shop to make sure the tire issue was taken care of. But to go on E90 Post at this stage early in the game seems a bit of an overreaction. As far as anyone knows, the screw may not even have made a hole the tire at this point.

BTW, I'm old enough to know there are starving people in the World, prior to the invention of the Internet.
Let the shop respond, accidents do happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloxxi View Post
Someone here also talking about hunger in the world... Yes, there is hunger in the world, but why talking about that in this forum? Getting a pluged tire and paying for a new one will not help to solve the hunger in the world. I do not see the point why we should comply with incompetence of the tire shop because of the hunger in the world.

Best Regards
Dude, it was just to bring some perspective to the issue that its just a screw in a tire that can be fixed or replaced; i.e. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. The OP is acting like a spoiled brat and just extending the sterotype that all BMW drivers are persnickity, anal-retentive pricks. Since I'm not one, I'd prefer the OP let the shop fix the problem when it opens for business tomorrow and stop banging on the shop on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

A plug is not as good. I've been plugging my own tires for years--on the front of a car, if the plug is towards the outside of the tread, there's a good chance that it will begin to leak and will ultimately need to be replugged, or better yet, patched. But when you have 0 miles on a tire, and you weren't the one who put a screw into it, how is it in reality a tire, who cares? You don't care, but the OP does.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

All they would need to do is say "ok we will buy new one" op leaves. they patch tire and then OP drives home with his car never knowing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
A plug is not as good. I've been plugging my own tires for years--on the front of a car, if the plug is towards the outside of the tread, there's a good chance that it will begin to leak and will ultimately need to be replugged, or better yet, patched. But when you have 0 miles on a tire, and you weren't the one who put a screw into it, how is it in reality a tire, who cares? You don't care, but the OP does.
Well you obviously wouldn't plug if it was near the sidewall, but in the op's case its not, so thats not an issue.

All I'm basically saying is take the free plug or patch whatever, because chances of getting a new tire out of this situation is slim to none imo.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #39
jmaak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:
True, but if that damaged product could be fixed to be basically new again would that be so bad, hell the other three could have plugs in them and they missed the fourth screw. Nobody would ever know and nobody would ever be harmed.

Its not like they destroyed a rim, and then offer to buff it out.......

Its not that I disagree with you, I just think I would be happy with the plug.
Shit happens, give them a break, look on the bright side no wheels were damaged lol.
Great logic, so if you wouldn't be able to tell then no harm no foul?

Lets take another example, at a restaurant you see the waiter spit in your food. It's ok if they just cook you another dish because he could have spit in all your other food and you would have never known or tasted the difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
sibhusky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I live near this place and read a lot of bad review online about them. I recently went to Martin Motorsports and found them to be a good place. you might want to try green motorsports as they are 2 miles down the road and have a top notch snap on tire mounting/balancer and alignment jig. Both of these shops specialize in BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm curious to see how this history will end up!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #42
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaak View Post
Great logic, so if you wouldn't be able to tell then no harm no foul?

Lets take another example, at a restaurant you see the waiter spit in your food. It's ok if they just cook you another dish because he could have spit in all your other food and you would have never known or tasted the difference?
What a ridiculous comparison.

A screw in the tread is not a big deal. It's still a new tire. A plug is going to have zero effect on the tire. It's not like it is sidewall damage. Then all this complaining would make sense.

OP, if I was you I would take the plug. I can only imagine how upset you would be if they scratched your rim installing another tire.
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #43
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So.... What happened ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #44
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Here's what happened at the end.
I went in and spoke with the owner. Turns out that the screw was not that deep, so it did not penetrated the tire. No patch needed, owner said that if the tired leaked anytime in the future they would take care of patching. Owner offered me a a free oil change with the best german engine oil. I choose a $100 discount on my bill instead. German swedish auto took care of me.
Here's the pics of the screw compared to a quarter.

Appreciate 0