E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > what OIL you use?

02-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW

what OIL you use?

so after driving my car for awhile since its last Oil change in July 2010, my car felt a little shaky, which makes me think it needs an oil change, i called BMW they told me to come in around 8-10 am, which i couldn't, so i took my car into JIFFY LUBE, yea i know jiffy lube.. anyways...

i put thier pennzoil ultra 5w40 euro brand into my car...

and notice a huge improvement, for some reason the car feels a whole lot smoother.... maybe its pennzoil or maybe its just a new oil change..
so what oil do you guys recommend, or use?

and dont say, "OMG u should be using mobile 1 synthetic, etc cause its BMW recommended etc"

any synthetic as long as it says LL01 is bmw recommended....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

I don't know what I use. Whatever BMW puts in there when they change it.

I will drive my car past 100k miles with no issues.

If I don't, or my engine explodes, I will buy a new car.

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

mobil 1 0W40 and castrol 0W30........both BMW LL01

i can't seem to locate penzoil 5W40
      02-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Same here, still got factory warranty left, so whatever the dealership puts in there.
I recently bought a bottle of this though to top up my oil:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Wow such a new and refreshing topic!

So if this isn't a BS post, I say the following:

You're an idiot for taking a BMW to Jiffy lube - A) it means you are cheap and gives the rest of us BMW owners a bad name, and B) Jiffy lube shouldn't touch any car regardless of make.

You're also an idiot by thinking, "well my car was a little shakey so I think it needed an oil change, so I had the oil changed and now it feels better." It's a machine, new oil or old oil is not going to make make it run any different. Your engine either has clogged oil passages and is not getting the proper lubrication and will eventually fail, or the bearings are being lubed properly.

And you're an idiot for asking a stupid question easily answered by your owner's manual, the sticker under the hood, or the BMW website, and then telling everyone what replies you don't want to read.

I feel better now...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

That really showed him, so now who is the idiot?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
That really showed him, so now who is the idiot?
Asked and answered...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evicfinite View Post

and dont say, "OMG u should be using mobile 1 synthetic, etc cause its BMW recommended etc"

Sorry, but that is exactly what I use, Mobil 1 0-40 or any synthetic so long as it says LL01 which is bmw approved.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
so after driving my car for awhile since its last Oil change in July 2010, my car felt a little shaky, which makes me think it needs an oil change, i called BMW they told me to come in around 8-10 am, which i couldn't, so i took my car into JIFFY LUBE, yea i know jiffy lube.. anyways...

i put thier pennzoil ultra 5w40 euro brand into my car...

and notice a huge improvement, for some reason the car feels a whole lot smoother.... maybe its pennzoil or maybe its just a new oil change..

Hmmmm. I don't see that oil on the "approved" list.

What filter did you use? Wait, let me guess. JL provided it.

Another reason not to buy a pre-abused BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
so after driving my car for awhile since its last Oil change in July 2010, my car felt a little shaky, which makes me think it needs an oil change,....

I'm speechless.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Wow such a new and refreshing topic!

So if this isn't a BS post, I say the following:

You're an idiot for taking a BMW to Jiffy lube - A) it means you are cheap and gives the rest of us BMW owners a bad name, and B) Jiffy lube shouldn't touch any car regardless of make.

You're also an idiot by thinking, "well my car was a little shakey so I think it needed an oil change, so I had the oil changed and now it feels better." It's a machine, new oil or old oil is not going to make make it run any different. Your engine either has clogged oil passages and is not getting the proper lubrication and will eventually fail, or the bearings are being lubed properly.

And you're an idiot for asking a stupid question easily answered by your owner's manual, the sticker under the hood, or the BMW website, and then telling everyone what replies you don't want to read.

I feel better now...
oh you must not have read, didn't i say i couldn't take it to BMW since of thier hours they wanted me to come in? and last i checked i was driving a ferrari? oh wait its just a 3 series...

umm hmm the oil certainly made a big difference? also didn't i say maybe its the oil change or the oil? you clearly didn't read again.

i read these replies from time to time? and my question was clearly to state if anyone else notice improvement from using other oils or switching oils....

please next time take the time to read the post instead of jumping to conclusions...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

oh and a side note.. cheap.?.. it costed me the same price as it would to get it done at BMW...

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
oh you must not have read, didn't i say i couldn't take it to BMW since of thier hours they wanted me to come in? and last i checked i was driving a ferrari? oh wait its just a 3 series...
Yes, it's just a 3 series. But you asked a group of 3 series enthusiasts about taking your car to Jiffy Lube. What, exactly were you expecting - approval and applause for your creativity?

It's your car and you are entitled to teat it as you wish. But rather than posting another "what oil" question, you'd do better to search for previous threads on the subject - and to avoid sharing any Jiffy Lube stories.

Oh, and judicious use of your Shift key may also help us read your posts.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Yes, it's just a 3 series. But you asked a group of 3 series enthusiasts about taking your car to Jiffy Lube. What, exactly were you expecting - approval and applause for your creativity?

It's your car and you are entitled to teat it as you wish. But rather than posting another "what oil" question, you'd do better to search for previous threads on the subject - and to avoid sharing any Jiffy Lube stories.

Oh, and judicious use of your Shift key may also help us read your posts.

Tom
for your information i did do a search, and onli came across a few oil threads, DIY oil threads and people onli using 1 type of oil... not the "let me try this oil to see how well it works" type of thread i was wanting to read.

and second off, i asked what people recommended, as in if they use something else besides the norm... anything that made a difference in thier car.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:

umm hmm the oil certainly made a big difference? also didn't i say maybe its the oil change or the oil? you clearly didn't read again.

i read these replies from time to time? and my question was clearly to state if anyone else notice improvement from using other oils or switching oils....

please next time take the time to read the post instead of jumping to conclusions...
Okay, so you writing skills totally suck, because that is not what was communicated. And sorry if you found so few results from a search on "oil" then maybe the search engine used by E90 Post has just as much trouble understanding your writing skills as we humans do.

You sound like an impatient person if the dealer gave you one time period for a service appointment and it didn't fit your schedule. I'm sure had you inquired, the dealer could have found time in their schedule on some other day that would have been suitable to your schedule. But since it is obvious you know nothing about automobile maintenance you grew impatient and went to Jiffy Lube, which by all accounts from any auto enthusiast, is considered a joke. Jiffy Lube is designed exactly for people like you.

Good luck with your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Okay, so you writing skills totally suck, because that is not what was communicated. And sorry if you found so few results from a search on "oil" then maybe the search engine used by E90 Post has just as much trouble understanding your writing skills as we humans do.

You sound like an impatient person if the dealer gave you one time period for a service appointment and it didn't fit your schedule. I'm sure had you inquired, the dealer could have found time in their schedule on some other day that would have been suitable to your schedule. But since it is obvious you know nothing about automobile maintenance you grew impatient and went to Jiffy Lube, which by all accounts from any auto enthusiast, is considered a joke. Jiffy Lube is designed exactly for people like you.

Good luck with your car.
didnt' kno this was an english class. if i wanted to take an english class i would have registered with UNLV. not some idiot who thinks a forum is for grammar class.

the dealer did not give me a 1 time for oil change, they said thier hours for oil change is between 8-10am, which amounts to me either going in on saturday or missing a day of work to get it done.
whats wrong with a quick oil change from jiffy lube? onli thing different would be the oil filter which is fine by me, since i will be getting my free oil change done 3-4 months from now from BMW, which i will probably go in on a saturday.

also u must not have been updated with what BMW recommends, but they clearly state Pennzoil Ultra euro brand is certified on their website... FYI.

oh i didn't kno this forum was packed full of angry enthusiasts... i swore this forum is packed with regular people like me who drive BMWs and maybe other types of cars.. but definitely regular people like me who'd just like to know certain things, not have a forum troll come around all heated up about "oil"...

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #18
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
whats wrong with a quick oil change from jiffy lube?
You're playing Russian Roulette when taking your car to "Iffy" Lube.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

I wonder if the OP understands that he has costed[sic] himself a lot more money now that he has flushed some of his warranty down the toilet.

The dealership will most likely annotate that he has a crap filter on there when he gets his oil change in a few months. Thereafter, anything that can be blamed on lubrication problems will be on his dime.

The Jiffy Lube place obviously saw him coming if they charged him the same amont as the dealer would have charged. They probably sold him a tranny flush too (look at the little spots on this chart. This is fresh ATF and this is yours) and undoubtedly suckered him in to a blinker fluid refill.

This thread just proves that lack of education and maturity follows you through all aspects of your life. The OP is a Jiffy Lube customer for life.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
and undoubtedly suckered him in to a blinker fluid refill.

Don't forget the "muffler bearings" and the "flux capacitor reflash!"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #21
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK View Post
You're playing Russian Roulette when taking your car to "Iffy" Lube.

Here is another story

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=14870843
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #22
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post

"Zoinks!"
Appreciate 0