E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > help please: iDrive system died, nothing on screen, SOS, can't eject CD/DVD, 0 life

02-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Exclamation help please: iDrive system died, nothing on screen, SOS, can't eject CD/DVD, 0 life

Hi every body,

2007 335i Coupe, sport package, 12/2006 build date, ~94k miles, USA build car now in Canada

need some help please

just the other day my iDrive system decided to die completely, SOS warning on my dash board, 0 signs of life from the iDrive screen, knob spins freely, I can't even eject the CD/DVD.

I have already tried the reset procedure (holding all 3 buttons pushed in) 0 results

I tried unhooking the battery negative cable for 20 mins, 0 results

I tried unhooking the battery negative cable for 8 hours, 0 results

I have looked for blown fuses, 0 results

Took the car into BMW, they said the system has not been updated in 3 years. They want to charge me $600+tax for 4 hours of programming and they aren't even sure if that will bring the system back to life.

If it doesn't I'm sure the charge for a new unit installed + programmed will be somewhere in the range of $2000?

My main question is, what are the odds of just the programming fixing the system? my guess is 0%.. why would out-of-date programming just cause it to suddenly fail...

My other question is, what are my other options? I am perfectly capable of installing a new unit myself if I could source one from somewhere, but have 0 experience for the actual programming part of the install.

not really interested in upgrading to a CIC unit, just want to get my damn radio working again mainly.... so boring without one.

I have had the car since September, it came with a 2007 maps disc in the drive when I bought it, about a month prior to failure I downloaded & burnt 2014 maps discs from a torrent website, and to my surprise they worked with no need for an FSC code or anything, worked as soon as I inserted the DVD, I burnt it on 4x speed. not sure if this could be related to the failure or not...

thanks guys, I'm at a loss of where to start with this one...

Last edited by Opo; 02-12-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. AFAIK, this is unrelated to the programming - unless say you were doing something yourself with WINFKP and flashed the CCC module. So, it's unlikely that the dealership can do much about it - what they were suggesting will not fix it.

CCCs don't need FSC codes to read the new maps. It's also unlikely that the failure is related to the 2014 maps.

Maybe this is a good time to upgrade to CIC nav? For the programming and FSC part, many people here can do remote coding for you, so that's not an issue.

You can also try getting a OBD code reader to see if you can get more info on what's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

I have a regular OBD2 code reader showing 0 codes, and my JB4 is showing 0 codes...

but I don't have an OBD2-->USB cable yet to use any of the BMW specific program etc. I was planning to pick one up, the one recommended in the coding section of the forum, I believe its called one stop electronics cable for $99.

where do people typically buy replacement CCC units?
-I see some on eBay ranging from like $450-$700 for just the CCC unit, where else could I buy from? any new/refurbished options?

what about CIC upgrade kits?

I need to get an idea on pricing here to make my decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
If the knob is spinning freely, it sounds like the controller is dead too.

I recently had my CCC replaced due to issues with it.

You can get a used CCC off ebay, no doubt. You'll just need to get it coded. You'll save money, but I didn't go this option, because I didn't want to spend money on the used and then have it go out again. I was able to get mine replaced and programmed at the dealership for ~$1100 out the door. That's brand new parts and warranty.

A CIC retrofit will cost you $2000+, getting parts from sources that will back the products. Otherwise, you could get a complete CIC system off eBay for like $1300 and then just need to have it coded. Keep in mind, you'll need to replace the center console trim to fit the new controller.

If you do go CIC, the dealer won't be able to communicate with your car without the CCC, just fyi.
Appreciate 0