E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does FRM1 support LCI Bi-Xenon headlights?

06-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Welcro
Rep
Drives: E90

Does FRM1 support LCI Bi-Xenon headlights?

Planning to upgrade my pre lci (halogen) headlights to lci bi-xenon (no ahl), already did some research about wiring and adding VO. The main question left is "Can I run it with FRM1?".

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcro View Post
Planning to upgrade my pre lci (halogen) headlights to lci bi-xenon (no ahl), already did some research about wiring and adding VO. The main question left is "Can I run it with FRM1?".

TIA
Interested project. I can't find the thread but Ithink I've read that FRM3 is needed
      06-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I'm sure you will need atleast FRM2 for it. The Pre-lci use high beam bulb as DRL whereas the LCI xenon headlights(non-ahl) have no inner high beam bulb, so your only choices are halo or full xenon.

FRM1 does not to Halos as DRL as well has I dont believe is has the code for the LED indicators. Both my LCI cars have bi-xenon and FRM2 units
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 04:14 AM   #4
Welcro
Rep

I plan to rewire the high beam wire from the car to the bi-xenon shutter slot on the lamp (pin 5&6 I guess, did some research but already forgot lol), so when I flash high beam it will activate the bi-xenon shutter. For the LED indicators I tend to code out (disable) their cold and warm check.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I had a dealership retrofit xenons and had to upgrade to an FRM3. I believe I had an FRM2 at the time (June 2009 build date).

Edit: the issue with the existing FRM was the xenons flickered when they were put in. The dealer working on the retrofit recommended getting the max brose FRM3 with AHL support, which fixed it. It may be worth trying the FRM1 before buying a new one just to see if it works (though you might right damaging bulbs/ballasts).

Last edited by nthnthnthnth; 06-28-2022 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 01:57 AM   #6
Badwolf1970
Rep
Drives: E91 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
I'm sure you will need atleast FRM2 for it. The Pre-lci use high beam bulb as DRL whereas the LCI xenon headlights(non-ahl) have no inner high beam bulb, so your only choices are halo or full xenon.

FRM1 does not to Halos as DRL as well has I dont believe is has the code for the LED indicators. Both my LCI cars have bi-xenon and FRM2 units
My pre-lci uses the halos for drl the main beam h7 only comes on on main beam as an extra light with the bi xenon shutter
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf1970 View Post
My pre-lci uses the halos for drl the main beam h7 only comes on on main beam as an extra light with the bi xenon shutter
So does one of our cars now. Maybe North America and Europe have different options as that was standard for NA
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 11:09 PM   #8
Welcro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthnthnthnth View Post
I had a dealership retrofit xenons and had to upgrade to an FRM3. I believe I had an FRM2 at the time (June 2009 build date).

Edit: the issue with the existing FRM was the xenons flickered when they were put in. The dealer working on the retrofit recommended getting the max brose FRM3 with AHL support, which fixed it. It may be worth trying the FRM1 before buying a new one just to see if it works (though you might right damaging bulbs/ballasts).
From my research about wiring (on this board), the flicker xenon bulbs might come from the ground wire which is in a different pin compared to the halogen model or something like that. And it should be fixed by tapping it into the original (halo) ground wire. Anyway, I'm not certain of anything, that's why I started this thread. Local junkyards here cost me around $780 for a pair of LCI Xenon headlamps, so TBH, compared with the success rate... it's quite unworth trying lol
Appreciate 0