E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advised Needed.......

03-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Tila
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 D

Advised Needed.......

Hi All

Recently got my 335D and had it hand washed in the local Homebase, not doing that again as they have made a hair line scratch on my bonnet :-(

Any one know of any places (around Kingston or Surrey) where I can get it professionally washed / cleaned and apply polish? Don't mind paying the extras as long as it it doesn't get al scratched up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Can't help on the area

You could try a very mild abrasive polish like auto glym super resin polish

Make sure it is perfectly clean before applying it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

there is a place where we all go to wash our cars..my 335i , frds 2010 S4 , frds C63 amg, frds m3, and when we had our olds ( c32 ,e240 , Golf Gti edition 30 ) etc ..imagine how annoyed we will get if they scratched our cars but never once happened.

Its on manorgate road once you turn in from the roundabout its on the left saying hand car wash..we been washing there for the past 3 years .never once had a problem and its cheap....for a basic wash and wax is £5, we always opt for the £13 pound option. but serioulsly these guys are way better than homebase guys..there is usually a long queue waiting..so yeah if you want a regurlar and affordable place then thats the place, the 5 pound wash is good too but usually only last for a week or so depend how rainy it gets and when they apply tire dressing..dun drive too fast..let it has time to drip off..or else u get bk and the side of the car looks like u been dirt racing, u can tell them no tire dressing too!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

It will depend on how deep the scratch is but if it's light you should be able to get it corrected by having a correction detail.

Where about's are you? I know of a couple of detailers in the Berkshire area that are really good.

I actually think the homebase/Sainsburys car wash people should be shutdown, they way the car is washed is nothing less than shocking..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Since having a correction detail on mine, no-one but me touches it (no-one else to blame then )

Stealer always looks very surprised when I specify DO NOT WASH, like I'm the only one to ever mention it.
      03-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Call Paul at Shine-On.

He is based in Surrey. top chap.

Please tell him Ed Sent you.

http://www.shineondetail.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
You could try a very mild abrasive polish like auto glym super resin polish.
Not knocking you briers, you probably know what you're doing. But I really wouldn't advise the OP to tackle it. Potential to make things much worse. Let a pro look at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Not knocking you briers, you probably know what you're doing. But I really wouldn't advise the OP to tackle it. Potential to make things much worse. Let a pro look at it.
+1

Generally if you can "feel" a scratch with your nail, then paint needs to come out.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Why not wash it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You are not going to do any damage with AG SR, it's a very mild polish with a very slight abbrasive.

Paul at shine on is very good.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
You are not going to do any damage with AG SR, it's a very mild polish with a very slight abbrasive.
Potential for 'holograms' I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Tila
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 D

Thanks guys for all the responses much appreciated. Will certainly check out the manorgate one Yoro as its not that far.

scottc - i am in Kingston upon Thames, would need to do some detailing but not a full one as rest of car is fine except a couple of things and detailer's often convince you to do a full job and not interested in doing minor works.

I suppose i could just wash it my self but i have to admit that i am lazy, i will learn about it and eventually start cleaning it my self..

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Potential for 'holograms' I reckon.
I use it and I have no marks on mine and trust me I am as picky as you can get. It's actually something that AG tell you to use before AG High Def. Unless you are using a very harsh polish you shouldnt cause any more damage when doing it by hand.

It's all down to the way you wash and look after the car, look on detailing world it's full of useful info. www.detailingworld.com

Run you nail across the scratch, if you can feel it then paint will be needed, if not it's just a surface scratch. If it's just a surface scratch then it should just be a matter of getting someone to polish it out with a machine polisher. If you post on detailing world I am sure someone would be willing to help you.
      03-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

I think these guys are in Chessington....

http://www.driveandshine.co.uk/wordp...rk-correction/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #15
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I think these guys are in Chessington....

http://www.driveandshine.co.uk/wordp...rk-correction/

That'll be Bryan,he's done my last two cars and has a unit over nr Godstone, top Guy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

WTF? There's no abrasives in SRP? Holograms my arse. It won't remove scratches, what it will do is fill them. Its a resin base polish with fillers.

There's a thread on detailing world about hand applied scratch removers, and SRP actually bested each and every one of them, despite being the only one that doesn't have any cut to it.

SRP is the most underrated product on the detailing market. No one should be without a bottle. Depending on how deep the scratch is, SRP will deal with it better than any of the "scratch removers". Three or four attempts is usually enough to deal with a lot of minor scratches.

If its a bit deeper (i.e. if you can catch your nail in it), you'll need to get it taken out with an electric polisher, either DA or rotary, you'll find bodyshops use rotary's because they're quicker, and detailers use DA's because they're a bit safer (for the softer paint on exotica). This can be done DIY if you've got some detailing experience and the kit, but sounds like you're not particulalrly clued up with the detailing side, so I'd suggest finding someone that does paint correction. Probably avoid a bodyshop and use a detailer because generally speaking, detailers are more skilled at removing marks, bodyshops are more used to just spraying and flatting out afterwards.

Can I just give you a fecking huge kick in the bollocks for letting someone in a car park wash it. Does no one else notice how they clean loads of cars with one little tub of water? All that grit and dirt swirling around in that trolley wreaks havoc on your paintwork!

If you need recomendation for a detailer head over to www.detailingworld.co.uk , the bods there will sort you out.

Annoyingly, all quick methods of washing your car leave it in a mess. The boswash (or polewash!) you see in old garages scratch your topcoat with all the grit from previous cars, the rotary car washes make a total mess of it, the pressure washer bays give you dents in the odywork, and giving the local kid a fiver to do it brings any number of problems. Just do it yourself!

Last edited by SelSol; 03-04-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #17
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila View Post
would need to do some detailing but not a full one as rest of car is fine except a couple of things and detailer's often convince you to do a full job and not interested in doing minor works.
Any pro detailer will be more than happy to tackle whatever you specify. If you go in and explain that you've got a scratch on the bonnet, there should be no need to touch any other panels.

And yes - WASH IT YOUSELF IN FUTURE!
Appreciate 0