E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New springs/shocks or low-end coilovers in my situation?

12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

New springs/shocks or low-end coilovers in my situation?

I bought a set of BMW Performance shocks (the $190 Tischer deal from a while back) with the intention of installing them when my ZSP shocks wear out.

Lately, I've been thinking about tightening up the suspension a bit, and have been looking at lower-end coilovers, namely the ST v1.

Which would be best for me considering I want the following:

1. Better handling with a good ride (this is my daily driver).

2. Don't really care about lowering, if the ride height stays the same, that's fine, if it lowers an inch, that's fine too.

3. The car will be purely a street car.

I was initially going to stick with the ZSP springs, but I'd be willing to buy new springs if the improvement warrants it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Those dampers you bought were designed to be used with oe sport susp / zsp springs. Folks have used them with the PS springs and say they still dampen the susp effectively. If you decide to do that make sure you get the correct bumpstops for the PS springs. The bumpstops that came with your dampers are too tall for the PS springs.
BMW PS with or w/o PS springs>ST c/o IMHO
      12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
2. Don't really care about lowering, if the ride height stays the same, that's fine, if it lowers an inch, that's fine too.
You just answere your own question. The only benefit of cheap coilovers is the ability to adjust the ride hight.

Cheap coilovers are just that, cheap. Don't bother.

Get yourself some good quality shocks and struts (e.g., Koni Yellow) and some nice springs (e.g., H&R Sport) and you will get everything that you are looking for (superior ride quality, moderate lowering, rebound adjustability, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
You just answere your own question. The only benefit of cheap coilovers is the ability to adjust the ride hight.
With higher spring rates and what I assume is the appropriate dampening, shouldn't there also be a performance benefit, even with a lower end coilover?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
With higher spring rates and what I assume is the appropriate dampening, shouldn't there also be a performance benefit, even with a lower end coilover?
With cheap coilovers, the main focus is height adjustability. With that being said, the STV1s probably offer a better ride than the stock suspension, but everything is already set for you and you can't make any adjustments. You may not like how the car rides and if that is the case, you can't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0