E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Front sunroof drain exit location?

05-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
sonora3
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i the gold one ;)

Question Front sunroof drain exit location?

Hello

E91 2006

Ive done a fair amount of searching and come across descriptions of inner door membrane leaks, bottom of windscreen leaks, even leaks by the microfilter housing all causing the swimming pool in the foot well.

However i do have the front sunroof drain blocked problem, seems like both front drains are definately blocked, (water puddles if i pour near the drains).

Things i have tried:

Elec - Cable = Couldnt get far enough down, seemed to get jammed about 10cm in on the drivers side

Strimmer Cable = Too bendy seems to also give up as cant push hard enough

Compressed air (in a can) = No chance was worth a go

Really long joined together by glue gun Cable ties = They seemed the only thing bendy, yet rigid enough to push through one side.

However despite getting the last option pretty far no unblocking happened.

I have tried to look everywhere for the drain tubes (past the A pillars) but cant see them, i slid the indicators our of the wings to see if they ran down there, but no joy.

Does anybody have a picture or a really clear description of where the drain tubes run for both sides please?

or a really good way to unblock these bloomin things!

Its driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Don't know about your specific year or model, but on my 09' E92 the front sunroof drain exits are located coming out of the body of the car, behind the fender, back near the door.

On DS you will need to remove rear inner fender liner to see it, on PS I need to remove both the rear inner liner, & the windshield washer tank (no big deal - 1 bolt & it slides out toward the front)

You are looking for approx. a 3/4" dia tube just barely exiting the inner body structure @ an angle about midway down from top to bottom

You may have better luck trying to 'rotoroot' the drain out from that direction...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
sonora3
Registered
Rep

Thumbs up SOLVED! Front sunroof drains with picture :)

I have spent weeks hunting for these little drain exits and after spending Saturday morning taking the front arch liners off and only finding spiders and mud i finally found them under the car, towards the front by the jacking point.

Basically you need a Jack, Axel stand, torx set and an 8mm socket.

Jack up the car and starting at the front remove 5 of the hex screws on the sill cover from underneath. Then using the 8mm socket remove all the bolts holding the undertray to the body from the back to the front. you need to remove them all as you want to drop enough down so you can flex this cover away from the other plastic mouldings.

Once the bolts are removed, pull the underbody cover down and feel on the inside of the sill from underneath. The drain exit is between the jack and the front of the sill.

To unblock, get your preferred twine or washing line and start poking. mine took a meter or so before a great whoosh of water came out.

I had exhaused all possibilities to unblock my drains (compressed air, twine, washing line etc). and NOWHERE could i find a picture or description of where these were on the e90/91.

I really hope this helps others looking to sort our their leaking sunroof and blocked drains. I now have very intimate knowledge of how to remove headliners and most of the wheel arch and underbody trims

Name:  IMG_3940.JPG
Views: 29001
Size:  219.6 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonora3 View Post
:...leaking sunroof and blocked drains.
Thank you for figuring this out and sharing with us.

Is there any chance, since you're in "discovery mode", that you could do the same for AC drain?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
sonora3
Registered
Rep

ha ha i guess by your comment you guys cant find that one either?

sorry chaps for all i know the AC probably connects to these!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

AC supposedly drains from above the transmission towards the rights side of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Don't know about your specific year or model, but on my 09' E92 the front sunroof drain exits are located coming out of the body of the car, behind the fender, back near the door.

On DS you will need to remove rear inner fender liner to see it, on PS I need to remove both the rear inner liner, & the windshield washer tank (no big deal - 1 bolt & it slides out toward the front)

You are looking for approx. a 3/4" dia tube just barely exiting the inner body structure @ an angle about midway down from top to bottom

You may have better luck trying to 'rotoroot' the drain out from that direction...
The drain, is this the front or rear fender? I have been looking for this thing
for days behind both the front and rear liners and cannot find them anywhere....

Looks like it could possibly be under the car also? Jeez, there is not alot of information online for this....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Appreciate 0