E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Online Defensive Driving Course

08-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Online Defensive Driving Course

Hi there,
I'm trying to lower my monthly insurance payments. Can anyone suggest any online defensive driving courses (NJ) that have taken in the past? Price? How long did it take? And was it difficult?

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
NYDMV
STATEFARM.COM

check website for them
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

idrivesafely.com is what I used. The course itself is a few hours long and was only around $40 or $50 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
MDRracing13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

I think they're $75 in NJ. I took mine in a "classroom" in north brunswick. A couple hours, which sucked, but it was worth the points reduction
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Driver1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Defensive driving course

Took mine online from myimprov.com super easy and was under $30
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //'12 F30 328i\\

Taking it online is the worst. Unless you're used to online courses then it may not bother you as much. The lack of being able to skip/fast forward past all the text and videos is frustrating. You have to sit there and let the computer read every line top to bottom. It was a head to desk banging experience for me.
Meanwhile in a classroom setting, the teacher is more likely to stick to key points, skip the BS, and send you on your way in 3 or so hours rather than having you stay for 6.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I've done it before. It really takes more than what they say it's gonna take unless your full attention goes to it. I did it while doing something else, but I needed a timer to remind me every 4 min so that I can go to the next page (it won't let you skip). Ended up taking the whole day cuz I forgot half the time.

More importantly, the class only saved me about $10/mo, so the financial benefit isn't really there. It did get rid of 2 points, but again, the benefit isn't that substantial, as you can deduct 2 points automatically for every year of not getting tickets.

Most importantly, by registering for the class, you are voluntarily putting yourself into basically a zero-forgiveness 6 month period during which if you get pulled over for moving violation your license will get suspended.

I recommend calming down instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
I've done it before. It really takes more than what they say it's gonna take unless your full attention goes to it. I did it while doing something else, but I needed a timer to remind me every 4 min so that I can go to the next page (it won't let you skip). Ended up taking the whole day cuz I forgot half the time.

More importantly, the class only saved me about $10/mo, so the financial benefit isn't really there. It did get rid of 2 points, but again, the benefit isn't that substantial, as you can deduct 2 points automatically for every year of not getting tickets.

Most importantly, by registering for the class, you are voluntarily putting yourself into basically a zero-forgiveness 6 month period during which if you get pulled over for moving violation your license will get suspended.

I recommend calming down instead.
Wow, are both of these statements true??

Did anyone benefit from taking the class/course?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post

Did anyone benefit from taking the class/course?
not sure about the second part, but yes, for being violation free (no points) for a whole year (from the last date you were sentenced, not date of violation), two points will be deducted from your license (this is NJ law, not sure about NY).

I've personally done the online course and it was quite easy. Yes it took a few hours but I wasn't busy at work at the time and basically took nearly the entire work day. Yes, in my perspective it was worth it since I automatically got deducted four points for that year (two from the course, two for driving safely). I believe certified classes will give you a three point deduction, but personally was not worth my time.

Also, it's always good to remind yourself of the rules of the road as we tend to take driving for granted. After taking the course and refreshing my memory, I felt as if I improved my driving. Before I had the tendency to speed quite a bit, but the online course really helped slow me down and be wary of others around me. Sounds cheesy, but being reminded of this stuff really helps. Safety first.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
Regarding the second point, I don't know for a fact, but that's what my lawyer told me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
FreemanX
Registered
Rep
Drives: saab 9.3

SafeMotorist.com is a good one. And super cheap. <a href="http://www.freemanxexperience.com.au/driving-experiences-gifts/driving-courses/">FreemanX Defensive Driving</a> - <a href="http://www.freemanxexperience.co.nz/driving-experiences-gifts/driving-courses/">Driving Courses</a> throughout Australia & New Zealand
Appreciate 0