E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Simply need input...

04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
matthatchett
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Simply need input...

I have a 2006 325i and I believe I have the Hifi system. I have 2 tweeters in the front along with 2 door speakers, 2 under seat woofers, and 2 speakers above the rear seats. Hifi right? Anyway, I HATE my head unit. It's plain, it's ugly, the lettering/numbers doesn't work half the time, just HATE it. I am looking to upgrade. I am trying to decide between the Dynavin and one of Alpine's double din units. I'm not looking for comments on what they look like. I understand there can be some issues when removing the stock head unit because it is so tightly integrated with the car. I'm going to relocate the stock head unit to the trunk (stupid in my opinion to have it in the trunk but apparently that's what needs to be done). Will I have any issues with whichever head unit I choose even if I do the relocation of the stock head unit? Also, eventually I plan to replace some of the speakers and add a subwoofer in the trunk if that makes a difference. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Alpine > Dynavin

You do have hifi. The hifi system uses balanced signals. So I think you would need some type of unbalanced to balanced converter, unless the head unit outputs a balanced signal.

Your other option is to replace the amp
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I don't think you can/want to drive the OEM amp with an aftermarket HU. That's asking for trouble. So in the short term you can use the aftermarket HU's built-in amp to drive the OEM speakers which will probably work fine, but don't expect much improvement or perhaps even a downgrade since it may have less power than the HiFi amp. Also, unless the aftermarket HU has dedicated subwoofer speaker level outputs, don't expect to be able to power the underseat woofers by the HU.

In the long run, you'd need a new amp and new front component speakers as a minimum to make a worthwhile sound improvement.
      04-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Kaigoss, not sure what your concern is on an aftermarket head.....it will feed the stock amp just fine, preferable to do it that way anyway due to the amount of channels, just the level needs to be lowered via a line output converter, or in the case of the dynavin its already built in. I agree though that if he wants to upgrade his sound things will start to need to be replaced....

OP, In my opinion you dont need to do the stock headunit relocation on your particular car.....I dont know if anyone has ever figured it all out the details as to which cars require it but I didnt do it on my car (2007 E92 335 with L7) and have no ill effects, no lost chimes, no errors etc. In the off chance that Im getting any software updates that require the stock head unit, its on the shelf in my garage, I can swap it back in 5 minutes if needed.

Last edited by jeffb335; 04-11-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
matthatchett
Private
Rep

I do plan on replacing the speakers and amp, EVENTUALLY. The head unit was the first upgrade though. I don't want to relocate the oem head unit unless I have to though. It seems silly to have it in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI

head unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=dynavin
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
matthatchett
Private
Rep

I'm starting to think you don't think I should do this lol... The only reason is that I feel like the oem radio is very bland. It has no options. I'm very tech savvy and want more options; navigation, Bluetooth, iPod, etc. My car only has the Aux input, no USB for iPhone. It's a pain to have it plugged into the charger and Aux input. If you have any suggestions that would allow an upgrade without changing to an aftermarket unit, I'm open to hear them! What are my options?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Kaigoss, not sure what your concern is on an aftermarket head.....it will feed the stock amp just fine, preferable to do it that way anyway due to the amount of channels, just the level needs to be lowered via a line output converter, or in the case of the dynavin its already built in. I agree though that if he wants to upgrade his sound things will start to need to be replaced....

OP, In my opinion you dont need to do the stock headunit relocation on your particular car.....I dont know if anyone has ever figured it all out the details as to which cars require it but I didnt do it on my car (2007 E92 335 with L7) and have no ill effects, no lost chimes, no errors etc. In the off chance that Im getting any software updates that require the stock head unit, its on the shelf in my garage, I can swap it back in 5 minutes if needed.

This. i have a 2006 325i and swapped the headunit for an Alpine. Didnt lose anything and like Jeffb said if i needed to update software I can switch the hu out easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post

The signal also needs to be balanced. I probably would just swap out the amp for an xd600/6.
Appreciate 0