E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough Idle with a/c on

09-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 '07

Rough Idle with a/c on

I'm having a strange issue where the car begins to shake and the rpm needle begins to flutter back and forth when the car is stopped and the a/c is on. From other threads, it seems like spark plugs would be the culprit, so I swapped them out the other day. One of the coil connectors wasn't fully seated so I got a check engine light that there was a misfire on that cylinder. After fixing the issue, the light remainded on for a few days then went away. But I'm still having the rough Idle problem and the code populates as well using the torque app. I was not sure if the code just got stuck in the history or if I should start swapping around plugs to see if the code follows? Also, how long would it take for a code to be generated if I swapped plugs out?
Attached Images

09-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

If you swapped plugs and a new cylinder was mis firing then it would tell you almost instantly. Swap them around and see if that's the issue.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123
If you swapped plugs and a new cylinder was mis firing then it would tell you almost instantly. Swap them around and see if that's the issue.
Thanks for answering my question so quickly. So coils can still cause issues in the absence of a ses light?
      09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
humbertob
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M235i

yes you could got a faulty coil without a ses light ! last time my 328i was fluctuating rpms just replaced all the 6 coils, issue was resolved and never seen a ses at all !
'15 F30 335i M-Sport | Son's
'10 Porsche Boxster
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Good info! I also have rough idle when the A/C is on, but rather than looking into it, I've just opted to not use the A/C. My girlfriend hates me for it lol. RPM's also drop crazy fast when I press in the clutch. Time to swap some coils!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob
yes you could got a faulty coil without a ses light ! last time my 328i was fluctuating rpms just replaced all the 6 coils, issue was resolved and never seen a ses at all !
I actually did not know that! Figured the ses light would just stay on. They arent overpriced. I'll swap them and hopefully that does the trick!
      09-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb
Good info! I also have rough idle when the A/C is on, but rather than looking into it, I've just opted to not use the A/C. My girlfriend hates me for it lol. RPM's also drop crazy fast when I press in the clutch. Time to swap some coils!
I know! My girlfriend complained as well. I don't think I have ever taken in so much fresh air in my life. Haha I did read in older threads that a vacuum leak can also cause these same symptoms. I may just take it to the dealer if the coils don't do the trick instead of throwing money at it. Car only has 60k miles, but has so many issues I never experienced on past cars. Just changed the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, vanos solenoids, thermostat, water pump, radiator, spark plugs, and oil filter housing gasket in the past two months. I really can't take much more.
      09-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu2789 View Post
I know! My girlfriend complained as well. I don't think I have ever taken in so much fresh air in my life. Haha I did read in older threads that a vacuum leak can also cause these same symptoms. I may just take it to the dealer if the coils don't do the trick instead of throwing money at it. Car only has 60k miles, but has so many issues I never experienced on past cars. Just changed the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, vanos solenoids, thermostat, water pump, radiator, spark plugs, and oil filter housing gasket in the past two months. I really can't take much more.
I'm with you amigo. Also at 60k and endless issues! Third transmission!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Coil packs
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb
Quote:
I'm with you amigo. Also at 60k and endless issues! Third transmission!!!
Its absurd. I expected to pay more for maintenence and repairs, but it's literally the same parts repeatedly failing on this car.
      10-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Quote:
+1 I've changed the exact same parts around the same mileage (well, km). The coils needed to be changed when I had a rough idle, and the check engine light only came on when it got REALLY bad a week later.
Appreciate 0