E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > DIY’er looking for help near NE Ohio

08-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Prican77
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i m/t: FBO

Exclamation DIY’er looking for help near NE Ohio

Hey everyone! Been around here for awhile and had my n54 e90 for about a year and a half. She needs some fairly involved maintenance that I have never attempted on my own and would love to pay someone to work side by side with me so that I can learn some of these repairs/maintenance.

Everything revolves around a turbo replacement that “while I’m in there” I would also like to replace my water pump (have done before), oil Pan gasket, rear main seal, clutch swap to 335is, valve cover gasket, and OFH gasket…

I know. Pretty much every seal and gasket 😂

I can travel to you if you have all the equipment to do the job and I’m willing to pay in cash or just beer/pizza if someone is feeling generous enough. Working side by side I figure this is easily an entire day or two of work so my expectations are low but hopes are high that someone is interested in helping out a fellow shade tree mechanic.

For those who are going to suggest a shop… I’m hoping someone who has experience doing these maintenance items is willing to share their knowledge/teach me, so that I may learn how to do these procedures on my own without anyone or a shop next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

i`d say that's about 3 or 4 days work best speed for DIY - Happy for you to find someone to prove me wrong though!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
Prican77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
i`d say that's about 3 or 4 days work best speed for DIY - Happy for you to find someone to prove me wrong though!
Well then hopefully someone has more than one weekend free and a lot of time and patience haha. Again, I’m hopeful that someone is willing to help but I’m not going to hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
raw
United_States
Rep
Drives:  

In the same boat as you but with a 2011 E92 328i xDrive, would love to meet up and share some knowledge as I just picked her up 2 weeks ago and needing a service.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by darawrin View Post
In the same boat as you but with a 2011 E92 328i xDrive, would love to meet up and share some knowledge as I just picked her up 2 weeks ago and needing a service.
Youtube and forums like this - then get the spanners out and have a go!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Prican77
Rep

If anyone is wondering as far as an update I’ve replaced my crankshaft position sensor and also done the FCP Euro OFHG kit this week. Also will have an aftermarket IC/CP/BOV installed by the end of the weekend working out of my driveway. Depending how things go I might attempt the valve cover gasket as well.

Any advice on doing the WP replacement separate of turbo replacement? Is the only hassle just having to fill and bleed to system a second time during the turbo install, or is the actual replacement of the WP impossible unless you do something crazy like drop the subframe? Seems like a pretty straight forward job to remove thermostat and pump from under the front of the engine bay as long as the car is jacked up and you can reach under and up to the 3 E10 bolts holding it in?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
Prican77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Youtube and forums like this - then get the spanners out and have a go!
That’s my method just takes me x10 as long as it should having to go slow and cautiously and double, triple, quadruple check I’m not making an expensive and/or critical mistake. Maybe that didn’t come through in my first post. I will absolutely be pushing through all of this alone if no help is offered I’m just hoping someone is willing to give a little guidance and get paid for it haha.
Appreciate 0