E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intro: Bought an E90, Dear God What Have I Done lol (Updated)

04-29-2024, 12:41 PM   #23
Grecobeemer
Rep
Drives: BMW E46, E39 and now an E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So, then my experience with the E90 is the CANBUS system is very reliable. Messing around in the various modules is what I stay away from. My car has needed software service just once, for the oil life monitor issue (which I was the first owner to discover), so I let a BMW dealership try to solve it. It's a well-documented story here on E90 Post.

Otherwise, the E90 mechanically is just like every other BMW. If you've progressed with the brand as far back as the E21 through the E46, the E90 will not be a challenge. All the common E90 issues are well documented on E90 Post in the DIY section. The only real special tools are Torx and eTorx sockets/drivers and a BMW scan tool. If you get into wheel bearing and suspension work, then you'll need a spring compressor, bearing/busing pressing kits, and a hub axle removal tool. But all those are the same tools 3-series have needed since the E21.

George @gbalthrop can solve nearly any electrical issue in the network you may have. There are plenty of members here too besides George who have dug deep into the E90's CAN.
Greatly appreciate it, I avoid dealers; since then have had zero issues. Looking into Bimmergeeks bundle today. Any suspension work I’ll just look to upgrade to coil overs; and have full torx. Once I get the the coolant flushed will run and scan and decide what to do with it (keep it, build it, sell it). Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:23 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecobeemer View Post
Greatly appreciate it, I avoid dealers; since then have had zero issues. Looking into Bimmergeeks bundle today. Any suspension work I’ll just look to upgrade to coil overs; and have full torx. Once I get the the coolant flushed will run and scan and decide what to do with it (keep it, build it, sell it). Thanks again
Yeah, I stay away from dealerships too, other than for alignments and the occasional BMW recall . The oil life monitor was a BMW issue they built into the software. It was a latent defect I discovered by racking up so many miles so quickly.

Good luck with the car.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-30-2024 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:07 PM   #25
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The oil life monitor was a BMW issue they built into the software. It was a latent defect I discovered by racking up so many miles so quickly...
I remember the issue generally, but wonder if you could refresh our recollections, WITHOUT Lazy Folks like me using Forum Search:

1) IS there a "Fix", & if so what is it? Reprogramming? KOMBI Module? Dealer?
2) Is fault based upon some mileage value? ~ 300,000 km?
3) Is fault based upon number of CBS Oil Reminder RESETS?
4) Is there a way to simply turn Oil Change Reminder CBS OFF?
5) Other advice?
thanks,
George
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17394.50
      04-29-2024, 08:17 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I remember the issue generally, but wonder if you could refresh our recollections, WITHOUT Lazy Folks like me using Forum Search:

1) IS there a "Fix", & if so what is it? Reprogramming? KOMBI Module? Dealer?
2) Is fault based upon some mileage value? ~ 300,000 km?
3) Is fault based upon number of CBS Oil Reminder RESETS?
4) Is there a way to simply turn Oil Change Reminder CBS OFF?
5) Other advice?
thanks,
George
Yes, 300,000 km. Yes, the CBS will stop resetting at around 220,000 miles. Yes, BMW has a fix, which is to program the KOMBI to ignore the oil life monitor input. BMW has a TSB for it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926864
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:04 PM   #27
Grecobeemer
Rep

So took it out on a neighborhood test drive. Engine runs well, shifts pretty well (slight downshift clunk on deceleration) but definitely needs suspension and typical items (coolant flush, oil change, VC gasket). I did not see anything that gave me any serious apprehension or worries at the moment. It did cut of and P0300 code pending. So could be plugs, injector(s), coil(s). I did read about index injectors so tbd after diagnostics.

In the end I have been looking for a project, and although not optioned/perfect seems like a great candidate. Plus less options, mean less things to fix and lighter weight lol. I actually like the simplicity, and can always upgrade the interior. Will I end up paying more than finding another? Yeah. Will another not have any issues? Doubtful.

Anyway. Unless someone pays cost + a few bills for my time, I’ll just keep it and enjoy the process. Oh and thanks to the posters, cable ordered and will go with Protools and diagnostic win software. Wish I did this before clearing all the codes. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:11 PM   #28
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecobeemer View Post
So could be plugs, injector(s), coil(s). I did read about index injectors so tbd after diagnostics.
"index" injectors only applies to twin-turbo n54 cars (disregarding n53 which was not available in NAR), these did have multiple revisions ("index") of piezo DI injectors, your car has an n52 with regular port injectors. Not very likely to be an injector problem. Very likely plugs or coils or oil getting into spark plug wells.
      05-04-2024, 06:19 AM   #29
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
"index" injectors only applies to twin-turbo n54 cars (disregarding n53 which was not available in NAR), these did have multiple revisions ("index") of piezo DI injectors, your car has an n52 with regular port injectors. Not very likely to be an injector problem. Very likely plugs or coils or oil getting into spark plug wells.
See? I’m already learning. Yeah I didn’t check to see what engine and just scanned E90 articles/boards. Planning to do VCG so will also change plugs for good measure. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 07:38 AM   #30
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I think you will be fine if you have patience and a basic budget for parts. E90 platform isn't crazy different, still just a car.

I went from a E30 and 1997 Honda Civic DX right to 2008 328xi a few years ago and haven't run into anything I couldn't handle at home with time and the forums. I did purchase some special tools like ProTools and bushing press kits, not cheap but again an investment in the project and your personal skill set.

I would do all the servicing/tune up stuff you can to get a baseline. Trans should be fine with oil and filter change, you can reset adaptations in ProTools.

I would plan to do nearly the entire cooling system asap and starter, those seem to last 100K miles, mine went like clockwork at 100k. I agree misfire codes on your engine are most likely just plugs and coils, I would start there and not worry about injectors at all.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #31
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphTim View Post
I think you will be fine if you have patience and a basic budget for parts. E90 platform isn't crazy different, still just a car.

I went from a E30 and 1997 Honda Civic DX right to 2008 328xi a few years ago and haven't run into anything I couldn't handle at home with time and the forums. I did purchase some special tools like ProTools and bushing press kits, not cheap but again an investment in the project and your personal skill set.

I would do all the servicing/tune up stuff you can to get a baseline. Trans should be fine with oil and filter change, you can reset adaptations in ProTools.

I would plan to do nearly the entire cooling system asap and starter, those seem to last 100K miles, mine went like clockwork at 100k. I agree misfire codes on your engine are most likely just plugs and coils, I would start there and not worry about injectors at all.

Good luck!!
Good call on the cooling overhaul and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:31 PM   #32
Grecobeemer
Rep

Just got Bimmergeeks ProTools bundle and cable. So many codes popped up. I’ve saved them. Really impressed with the app so far. I noticed a lot of codes, will clear and rerun. Runs and drives so hopefully they’ll just be maintenance related.

Last edited by Grecobeemer; 05-09-2024 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 1