E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > How does alchohol hurt your workout progress?

04-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun View Post
looken good, no homo.

how is doing the full p90x?

last year i got to like day 40, best shape of my life I believe but then summer came and I stopped. I tried to start fresh at day 1 in fall of `11 but my living situation doesnt permit. (2nd story apartment, a 6'3" 210lb man doing plyometrics gets noise complaints)

next year, I make sure I have a garage to do p90x in
Its rough man,

I Still have to do physical training in the AM, so i don't always have the energy to do it at night. I basically do the main weight days, and on the cardio days i go running at the track.

The first time i did it, i probably only did it about 40 days also. cuz it was hard as fuck. Ive made the decision at this point that I'm Never going to stop.

Its hard though. My main focus is running so Its very challenging to balance, getting lean continuously, getting strong, stacking on muscle size and definition while keeping my weight under 160, improving my run , and keep up with unit PT all at the same time.

putting on muscle and cutting at the same time is hard as hell. When you cut, you loose weight and energy, causing you to loose training power and muscle. so, my body is always changing from week to week.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

That was December...

As of now, I just finished another 90 days of P90X! So that pic is weak. Id post more, but i feel kinda weird.
Working out is a passion of mine, just so happens i do it for a living. Every once in a while i compete in all natural bodybuilding shows and train some clients to compete as well, however i dont confuse looking fit and being fit . I do my best to say what i mean, and mean what i say. Hats off to you for keeping it real
P90x is a great program, however any program can be just as effictive. It doesnt take intense workout programs to get great results. For some reason people think harder is better, i tell my people its smarter not harder. Everyone has different fitness needs, so fitness can be whatever a person needs it to be. Gentics and paying attention to how much you eat goes a long way, ask me how i know.

Last edited by New Guy; 04-15-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

While I have no clue what my leg press is, looking at your other stats, you certainly are not the most in shape guy on these forums. I weigh within 2 lbs of you (im 5'9"), and on a 3 mile run, i would be at the finish when you got there, barely, but by a few seconds. Full range situps, I have never tried to do as many straight as I could, but I am not to bad, the pushups non stop, not a problem. The bench press, not a problem.
And I am not throwing that out there to knock you down a step. Just trying to show that in todays world/forums, don't make claims that are completely baseless.

And I honestly mean it in no way to try and knock you down. I recently (last 3 years) got into shape. I went from being the guy at the back of the pack at PT, to up front every morning. But there needs to be some humbleness to it all. And to realize, there is always something/someone better out there. You sound like the type that would say my dad can beat up your dad. And I am AF, not Army. But I am required to do both the AF and Army PFT each year due to my job. I maintain a 300 on the PFT and a 100 on the AF PT.

I would say I am probably older than you are though, so maybe it's my age talking.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Never said I was the most in shape person here, I said i was one of them....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Alcohol is pretty much your enemy if you are serious about getting in shape...but..the main thought to keep in your head with everything you eat/drink..

Moderation is key....especially moderation...
      04-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

You guys would leave me in the dust in a 5k, my best time is 23 minutes
I really dont push myself to lower my time, I just run to relieve stress.
Eternal, i dont think he came off as cocky, and I'm probably older than both of you guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Da fuck did this thread turn into?
      04-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #30
Carmon101
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alcohol Slows you down, both your mental and physical states of mind. It is much better for you to just forget drinking altogether.
      04-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #31
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

why is there a picture of a half naked man on this thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
why is there a picture of a half naked man on this thread?
I do not know.
      06-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #33
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
I LOVE Beer... but i had to give it up when i decided i wanted to be in serious shape.

Ill keep this as basic as possible, and i won't even get into the facts on how it lowers your testosterone, and increases fat storage or the fact that is dehydrates you and your muscles that are trying to grow or the fact that is completely depletes your essential acids that aid or even create muscle growth.

at the most basic level of thinking about alcohol and fitness. If you get Drunk today or tonight are you going to work out in the AM? or is your workout going to be as intense as it needs to be?

I can probably guarantee i am one of the most physically fit people on this forum, and not because i am in the Army. The only way i can balance beer and looking the way i do, is to avoid it at all costs. And thats not because i have a hard time maintaining my weight. Its because thats what you need to do if you want to actually be shredded. If i am going to drink, its MAybe 2 beers in a month. But this is for people who are in extreme shape. If you are just trying to keep strong and look "ok" than id say 2-3 a week is alright.

Drinking beer while trying to get in shape is like eating pizza and a Coke after a workout or before bed. Makes no sense.

Not trying to sound rude, I know i do sometimes.

I am actually eating a 4 oz steak and a vegetable shake right now... so i guess I'm reacting a little hard. lol

Good Luck man.
Good response overall.

Alcohol has a TON of calories. It also makes you hungover and can make you unmotivated to hit the gym.

I would say 2-3 beers a month is a little extreme. I definitely know people who are ripped and drink a lot more than 2 beers a month (or week for that matter), but HPF 335 makes a valid point. Generally speaking, if you really want to be in amazing shape, boozing all the time will probably prevent you from reaching your goals.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM

Last edited by Titanium Silver; 06-19-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...uscle.html?m=1

Sheds new light on alcohol and working out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #35
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Berkhan
Alternatively, how you can drink on a regular basis without any fat gain. Without having to count calories and while drinking as much as you want.

If you drink for more than 10-15% of your calories intake a day, this will impact your fit &fitness.

It happens quickly. Two beers... already 350kCal....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
BoostAddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

I have no factual information to provide, but I will start out by saying I train for Strongman, and not so much bodybuilding. I'm still lean about 10% BF before anybody calls me a fat ass lol

It seems that when I drink a lot of beer, I always put on a little weight, and lift a lot better at the gym. I'm probably just benefiting from the extra cals, so knows.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
Da fuck did this thread turn into?
Into gay thread...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #38
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Very Entertaining Thread. Somewhat helpful.

The dude is ripped (No Homo) ha!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
muleskinner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi Q5

It's an estrogen thing

Alcohol increases estrogen in the body and estrogen is the leading cause of testicular atrophy in human males.

And the more atrophied your testicles are, the lower your testosterone production will be. And less testosterone means less muscles accumulation.

Some self testing on myself proved that for me, a couple of drinks does no real harm.

But if I push the envelope, and secure even a minor hangover, my boys shrivel by about 25 percent or more the following day. A clear sign that estrogen has climbed too high in my system.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #40
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hilarious thread!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #41
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

If you drink for more than 10-15% of your calories intake a day, this will impact your fit &fitness.

It happens quickly. Two beers... already 350kCal....
Martin meant the calories from alcohol directly. Not sugars or carbohydrates. That's why he advocates hard liquor.
      12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Alcohol increases estrogen in the body and estrogen is the leading cause of testicular atrophy in human males.

And the more atrophied your testicles are, the lower your testosterone production will be. And less testosterone means less muscles accumulation.

Some self testing on myself proved that for me, a couple of drinks does no real harm.

But if I push the envelope, and secure even a minor hangover, my boys shrivel by about 25 percent or more the following day. A clear sign that estrogen has climbed too high in my system.

Cheers
The more I drink the Bigger my Balls Get
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #43
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

There is science on both sides of the argument. Ultimately, it really depends on what you are trying to do, and how you are trying to do it.

There are numerous studies talking about the benefits of responsible alcohol consumption. A large portion of this is based around either wine, clear or light colored liquors, or various types of less processed beer.

There are also studies that do indicate that alcohol disrupts protein synthesis and does affect things like fatigue/energy levels and hydration, among other things.

Either way, the down and dirty of it is that much like everything in fitness, there probably is no one right answer. Ultimately, what holds true for one person does not always hold true for others, because human physiology varies so much from person to person based on genetics, living environment and brain chemistry. Go look around for someone or a couple people that you like, admire, or want to be like, and then do what they do.

On one hand, you have IFBB pro bodybuilders like Jay Cutler and Fouad Abiad who rarely drink, and advocate abstaining from regular alcohol consumption.
On the other hand, IFBB legend Ronnie Coleman was known to booze it up a lot and claims that vodka and coffee got him shredded.

For me, I can't drink more than two beers if I'm going to be lifting the next day; especially if I have a very heavy day planned. I just wind up going to gym and feeling lethargic. I sleep like crap when I've been drinking, which is largely the problem. I also have issues with hydration, particularly on leg day, so I have to hyper hydrate on Sundays. This is why I rarely drink. But this is just me.
My brother can get obliterated drunk and still work out well the next day.

Do what you want, but there are a couple things that both sides agree on:

- If you drink, drink in moderation
- Alcohol is a diuretic. Drink lots of water if you do drink
- Alcohol increases your chances of doing a fat chick

Last edited by reedo302; 01-11-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0