E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Serious Help Needed

10-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Serious Help Needed

I drive a 2006 E90 Steptronic with 31k miles on the odometer. Stock everything, no mods to my knowledge.

So I was on my way to hockey practice when something weird happened. I was making a move to overtake someone, up an overpass (so I was driving up a bit of an incline, maybe 15-20 degrees?) and I pushed the pedal down to drop a gear to make the pass quickly. I was cruising around 80-90 kmph, so I think I was in 6th, but it could have been 5th, so the drop would be to 5th or 4th, not sure.

Anyways, when I depressed the pedal to make the shift (in D), my transmissions jolted maybe for 1-1.5s and then engaged the lower gear. I think the best way to describe it is that it felt like the transmission had trouble engaging the gear, and then it clicked in place. The problem is, this is the 3rd time this has happened, and this was the most severe. The other two times this occured, I don't remember the conditions, but I know it came when I was dropping a gear. The previous instances were very slight, nothing compared to this most recent one. In fact, they were so small I felt that I imagined them because I had never felt it before.

The strange thing is that, afterwards, on a straight and level road I tried to duplicate the "shudder" by dropping from 6th to 5th, and then after a bit, to 4th, all while in D and nothing strange happened. Nothing even remotely related to the shudder occured. Stranger still, the shifts are as smooth as butter through all gears, no hesitation or anything, even after the incident. I tried again after the hockey practice, almost 2 hours later, and nothing still. I have decided to stop since I dont want to cause any more damage (if there is any, I hope not) to the transmission. I don't track the car, I rarely rev the engine, and I probably drop a gear or so a couple times a day for passing, thats about it. Nothing serious. I do some spirited driving once a while, but never anywhere near redline, and never for any period of time longer than 10 min.

Anyone have any ideas? Just to preempt some comments, I am looking for helpful, insightful comments. My car literally just left warrenty (September '05 build) so taking it to the dealer to repair under warrenty is not an option. I am hoping that this is something minor that doesnt require the transmission needing to be rebuilt or replaced. Two things were suggested to me at this point, one being a transmission flush and putting a new synthetic fluid in, and the other was to try the Steptronic reset, although I read that thread an it looked like there was no real proof it worked or didn't work. Also, if there was an error in the transmission, how would I know that it threw a code? Would there be a warning on the dash? Or does a BMW tech have to look?

Your help is really appreciated. I love my car, and I do my best to look after it. I really don't want to sell it, I have only owned it for less than two years. I will if this turns out to be a bigger headache than I want to deal with. Sorry for the long post, but I figure its better than having to respond with more details in other posts.

Last edited by clark192; 10-21-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
asifjahmed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I know you mentioned that warranty is not an option, but don't these cars have a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty? Sept-05 build is within 4 years, and 31k is obviously within 50k?

Otherwise, the transmission fluid/filter change will cost you at least $400. I would try the transmission reset first. I know that there is no proof that this works, but I certainly don't see any potential risk in trying it. I tried it the other day after reading it on this forum, but I cannot tell either.

Just to reiterate, a transmission fluid/filter change will cost significantly more than a diagnosis (and possibly even a fix) from the dealer.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

As an aside - this could be the impetus needed to upgrade to an 06 330i or even a newer 328 or 335
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

Well, my dealer told me just yesterday that the car was under warranty from BMW for 2 years, and the car was under warranty from the dealer for 3. I was asking about repacing the inside door handle because they were worn, and they denied it, and then told me I was out of warranty for anything else. So at least for me, thats not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
bluenwhite
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Hmm, I had the same problem.. The solution is a software upgrade to the EGS and the torque lock-up clutch. I do still sometimes have the same issue, but not as it used to be.

Many people recommends a filter/fluid change.. But for me, Software upgrade solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

Anyone? Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0