E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace rear springs on a 328i by M3 springs?

11-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

Exclamation Replace rear springs on a 328i by M3 springs?

Hi everyone ,

I've got a problem with my springs on the back which probably caused my car is not balanced, cause it's lower on the right and higher on the left.

i took to the dealer and they told me I'll have to buy OEM springs and replace my current rear springs in order to get it back on track, for the reason that my rear springs are from aftermarket.

So here I've got a package of M3 springs that has approximately 4000 miles on it, but also i have some questions:

1. My car model is a 2008 328i E92, will the springs fit in my car without any changes on it?

2. In order to replace just the REAR springs, do I have to replace anything else at the same time to keep it runing good? Other parts like <Upper spring rubber> <Lower spring rubber> <R/R shock, L/R shock> <shock mounts> (these parts were suggested by dealer) ?

3. Last question: If everything could fit in my car, is it possible for my car to run with M3 springs in the back and OEM springs in the front? Or do i have to replace the four springs all at once ?

I dont know much about the parts so
THANKS A LOT for any advise or comments !!
      11-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
evangelion139
Rep

here's the pic
      11-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
evangelion139
Rep

they looks pretty new
      11-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

while the rear springs may physically fit, your car weighs less than an M3 and may ride higher with the M3 springs. On top of that your factory shocks aren't valved to run the M3 spring rates, and you'd have to replace those as well.

The fronts do not look like they fit the 328, unless you get additional M3 parts. Again, they would ride higher than your factory springs because of the weight difference between the two cars.

You'd be much better off getting the proper springs for your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelion139 View Post
I've got a problem with my springs on the back which probably caused my car is not balanced, cause it's lower on the right and higher on the left.
Hi Evangelion139, I posted to your wall before, but now I think I understand your situation better. It's normal for the right to be slightly (1/8") lower. My car is that way. Also be careful you're on close to level ground when measuring, that can make a difference.

Quote:
So here I've got a package of M3 springs that has approximately 4000 miles on it, but also i have some questions:

1. My car model is a 2008 328i E92, will the springs fit in my car without any changes on it?
No I don't think it will work, because the M3 springs will jack up your car something fierce. Up to an inch and a half above stock levels. Jah29 tried M3 springs on his 135i and reported those results, that was on a 135i, which is roughly the same weight as your car.

The front M3 springs might be useful to a 335 owner, you could sell them to someone who wanted to experiment!

Quote:
2. In order to replace just the REAR springs, do I have to replace anything else at the same time to keep it runing good?
No, you don't need to replace the rubber spring pockets unless they are damaged or were replaced with some wacky aftermarket part. :-)

Rear shock mounts, maybe, if your car has more than 50,000 miles, or if the mounts are damaged. Replace your mounts and bump stops when/if you replace the shocks, less labor that way.

Rear shocks, no, unless they are worn out by stiff aftermarket springs. Or, if you want to change to stiffer springs, then you would need shocks to match the springs. But if you just want to go back to original equipment, the shocks are fine unless they are worn out :-) What's the mileage?

If your mileage is over 70K, then I might change my tune and say yes, replace shocks, rear shock mounts, and bump stops. But even then, it's up to you if the shocks feel OK, it's not urgent.

Quote:
3. Last question: If everything could fit in my car, is it possible for my car to run with M3 springs in the back and OEM springs in the front? Or do i have to replace the four springs all at once ?
No, but even if it did work, remember that the M3 rear springs are stiffer than your OE rear springs. They really wouldn't go together.

You may be able to find a complete (or pieces of) used e92 328i suspension in the marketplace on this board.

Definitely try to buy springs used; they are $100 apiece new. You need 328i e92 springs. There were a very small number of e92's made without sport suspension, so watch out for that.

If you find yourself needing to buy shocks, let us know. There are so many options buying both used, and new, and you can save a lot!

EDIT: I see yours is an 08, so there's not much time for the shocks to wear out even if abused with stiff springs. I would say buy some used OE springs and that's it!
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
evangelion139
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
while the rear springs may physically fit, your car weighs less than an M3 and may ride higher with the M3 springs. On top of that your factory shocks aren't valved to run the M3 spring rates, and you'd have to replace those as well.

The fronts do not look like they fit the 328, unless you get additional M3 parts. Again, they would ride higher than your factory springs because of the weight difference between the two cars.

You'd be much better off getting the proper springs for your car.

thanks so much for your reply ! And yes I think I will just look for something that fits my car compeletly then I can probably minimize any of the risk ..

again thanks for helping me here!

Last edited by evangelion139; 11-03-2011 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
evangelion139
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Hi Evangelion139, I posted to your wall before, but now I think I understand your situation better. It's normal for the right to be slightly (1/8") lower. My car is that way. Also be careful you're on close to level ground when measuring, that can make a difference.

No I don't think it will work, because the M3 springs will jack up your car something fierce. Up to an inch and a half above stock levels. Jah29 tried M3 springs on his 135i and reported those results, that was on a 135i, which is roughly the same weight as your car.

The front M3 springs might be useful to a 335 owner, you could sell them to someone who wanted to experiment!

No, you don't need to replace the rubber spring pockets unless they are damaged or were replaced with some wacky aftermarket part. :-)

Rear shock mounts, maybe, if your car has more than 50,000 miles, or if the mounts are damaged. Replace your mounts and bump stops when/if you replace the shocks, less labor that way.

Rear shocks, no, unless they are worn out by stiff aftermarket springs. Or, if you want to change to stiffer springs, then you would need shocks to match the springs. But if you just want to go back to original equipment, the shocks are fine unless they are worn out :-) What's the mileage?

If your mileage is over 70K, then I might change my tune and say yes, replace shocks, rear shock mounts, and bump stops. But even then, it's up to you if the shocks feel OK, it's not urgent.

No, but even if it did work, remember that the M3 rear springs are stiffer than your OE rear springs. They really wouldn't go together.

You may be able to find a complete (or pieces of) used e92 328i suspension in the marketplace on this board.

Definitely try to buy springs used; they are $100 apiece new. You need 328i e92 springs. There were a very small number of e92's made without sport suspension, so watch out for that.

If you find yourself needing to buy shocks, let us know. There are so many options buying both used, and new, and you can save a lot!

EDIT: I see yours is an 08, so there's not much time for the shocks to wear out even if abused with stiff springs. I would say buy some used OE springs and that's it!

Thank you soo much for this very specific reply here T_T

I looked over your reply very carefully. The mileage of my car is around 34000 miles so it's not that bad, and according to your thoughts I think I would just keep my shocks for now as they looks still remain good condition, at the same time I'll be looking for OEM rear springs.

However as far as I've got , most of the springs that I looked up on the web are some sports springs made either by BMW or H&R and etc. I can tell that the sports spring will lower my car even more which is not what i want, since the car has 19 inch wheels on it and i just drive it for daily use.

Well I'll keep looking for it and thanks so much for your assistence, your and Mike-y's posts are really helpful to me, thanks again
      11-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelion139 View Post
Thank you soo much for this very specific reply here T_T

I looked over your reply very carefully. The mileage of my car is around 34000 miles so it's not that bad, and according to your thoughts I think I would just keep my shocks for now as they looks still remain good condition, at the same time I'll be looking for OEM rear springs.

However as far as I've got , most of the springs that I looked up on the web are some sports springs made either by BMW or H&R and etc. I can tell that the sports spring will lower my car even more which is not what i want, since the car has 19 inch wheels on it and i just drive it for daily use.

Well I'll keep looking for it and thanks so much for your assistence, your and Mike-y's posts are really helpful to me, thanks again
I agree with your decision although I don't know why you're looking for rear springs only. I strongly recommend matched springs all around. If you're playing with ride heights, remember that a low front and high rear affects weight distribution, and can cause a spinout at the worst possible time.

If you can't find anything and need brand new original springs, email Evan Winstead:
ewinstead@mileone.com
Send him your car's VIN, and he will give you the exact part number(s) for your car. Then you can order on getbmwparts.com. I still predict it will be about $100 per spring, which is why we buy used when possible! I am almost certain you'll find something in this forum's Marketplace area.

(Evan is parts manager at BMW of Silver Springs aka Tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com.)
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
evangelion139
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
I agree with your decision although I don't know why you're looking for rear springs only. I strongly recommend matched springs all around. If you're playing with ride heights, remember that a low front and high rear affects weight distribution, and can cause a spinout at the worst possible time.

If you can't find anything and need brand new original springs, email Evan Winstead:
ewinstead@mileone.com
Send him your car's VIN, and he will give you the exact part number(s) for your car. Then you can order on getbmwparts.com. I still predict it will be about $100 per spring, which is why we buy used when possible! I am almost certain you'll find something in this forum's Marketplace area.

(Evan is parts manager at BMW of Silver Springs aka Tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com.)

thanks for the additional information! And yes the new spring could be very expensive and i will definitely look for used ones first! Thanks for the reminder !

Also Im sorry I forget to tell you that my car has OEM springs in the front, so there are just aftermarket springs intalled in the back (last owner did this, wierd), that's why Im looking for only rear OEM springs