E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Comparing Ride of different Suspensions

01-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Comparing Ride of different Suspensions

I drive 20K every 6 months. I often drive through CA 58's loopy roads and enjoy it. I am satisfied with my stock non-sport e90 suspension going 90+ in the mountains.

I notice that enthusiast commonly upgrade their suspension to aftermarket performance suspensions.

I was wondering, aside from aesthetics, do the aftermarket suspension kits make the ride smoother or rougher?

I'm interested in buying a kit that provides a smoother ride but also better performance on the winding roads I drive on.
      01-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

I used to have non sport suspension. Couple days ago I got st coilovers and wow the ride handles so much better. The comfort is still there just absorbs bumps a whole lot faster which I like better.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDesertTango View Post
I drive 20K every 6 months. I often drive through CA 58's loopy roads and enjoy it. I am satisfied with my stock non-sport e90 suspension going 90+ in the mountains.

I notice that enthusiast commonly upgrade their suspension to aftermarket performance suspensions.

I was wondering, aside from aesthetics, do the aftermarket suspension kits make the ride smoother or rougher?

I'm interested in buying a kit that provides a smoother ride but also better performance on the winding roads I drive on.
There is no simple answer to that question since there is a myriad of options. But in general you can make the suspension whatever you want from stock softness with better bump handling to racing stiff. The trick is choosing wisely so you don't have to go through too much trial and error.

How many miles do you have on the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDesertTango View Post

Generally, for daily driving, the rap on Koni FSD's + BMW Performance springs is: Excellent, absorbant ride with much much better handling.

Hey....Ground Control [Koni Yellows] Street/School will give you a dazzling performance envelope and a smoother ride, Koni FSD's a yet more compliant ride & smaller envelope. Both much better than any stock config. Check your camber - Ground Control's package includes M3 rear lower camber arms for added goodness; other things not seen in other mfr's solutions.

Both match shock to spring, prerequisite to good result, which is why I mention Ground Control vs Yellows + random springs.

Combine w/HP Autowerks' M3 suspension parts for exquisiteness if you don't mind another $2k+. Those rear bushings really gotta go; M3 sways yield flat handling.

I have Wavetrac limited slip differential - huge improvement and highly recommended by everyone who tries 'em. Everything they say and then some....

Maybe $7k parts for total improvement. Do you recoil? Don't! You'll bless yourself every day for doing all....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-15-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Almost all aftermarket suspensions provide a better performance on winding roads compared to the stock suspension. But very few (if any) provide better confort.

There are 2 suspensions that come to mind for similar confort but a bit better performance: KW Street Comfort and the Koni FSD / Eibach Pro-Kit combination.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
I used to have non sport suspension. Couple days ago I got st coilovers and wow the ride handles so much better. The comfort is still there just absorbs bumps a whole lot faster which I like better.
Ya, I'm looking into coilovers route.
      01-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
There is no simple answer to that question since there is a myriad of options. But in general you can make the suspension whatever you want from stock softness with better bump handling to racing stiff. The trick is choosing wisely so you don't have to go through too much trial and error.

How many miles do you have on the car?
Ya when I started looking, I realized there were too many options. But what I gotta remember is what I am trying to achieve with the upgrade so that I don't make that trial and error approach.

approaching 90K, I bought it with 70K and I've owned it since August.
      01-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Makes sense. At 90K if you just put new stock shocks on it, say the bilstein b4, the car will ride almost like new and feel like a big improvement.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
rayguy24
the mod bug is crawling in my brain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 tiag aka "luna"

My combo of BMW Performance Shocks/Struts and Eibach Pros works nicely for me. The drop isn't extreme, but handling definitely improved and the ride is still comfortable. Think memory foam mattress vs. a luxurious but springy mattress (stock non-sport suspension).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Legato2057
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 monaco blue e90 335i

I went with the Koni FSD shocks and Eibach pro kit spring setup shortly after I got my car. I also changed my wheels and tires to a 19" setup. I previously had the sport suspension w/ 18" wheels. To me it made a huge difference. Stock, the sport setup was a little numb while the upgrades gave me a lot more confidence in the handling of the car. Truth be told, I will probably never exceed the capabilities of even the stock setup but I am still glad I upgraded.
2008 Monaco Blue/Tan interior 335i sedan. Mods: AFE intake w/ scoops, AFE Exhaust, ER FMIC, Koni FSD/Eibcach Pro-Kit, Breyton Race GTS wheels w/ Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, Cusco OS strut bar. BavAuto Black/Beige seat covers w/ black floor mats, M3 rep trunk lip, eBay front splitters.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Most adjustable sport coilovers are comfort as stock and perform better.

It really depends on how you adjust your spring and damping setting.

Racing coilovers are more aggressive than sport coilovers, they are 3 way, 12 way adjustable. Even you set it to softest setting its rough..... But maximize the performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legato2057 View Post
I went with the Koni FSD shocks and Eibach pro kit spring setup shortly after I got my car. I also changed my wheels and tires to a 19" setup. I previously had the sport suspension w/ 18" wheels. To me it made a huge difference. Stock, the sport setup was a little numb while the upgrades gave me a lot more confidence in the handling of the car. Truth be told, I will probably never exceed the capabilities of even the stock setup but I am still glad I upgraded.
Can you compare the ride quality for a daily driver in moving from the sport to the eibach/fsd set up?
Appreciate 0