E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Claims Management Companies

08-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Claims Management Companies

Dont want to go into massive detail at the moment but interested to know view/experiences with Claims Management companies.

I've had an someone clip my parked car outside my house who did a 'hit and run' in a 'shitbox' crappy old car.. Police tracked the likely suspect down ( we at least got the reg) but he claims he sold the car a few hours before the 'incident'. We all know its bollocks but they cannot prove he was driving at the time. My car will be off the road for 3-4 weeks.

My insurers have referred me to their 'partner' claims management company who will provide me with a free car of equal quality for 7 days ( no risk to me, no cost) whilst they investigate themselves.

Fact is they will only recover their costs and make profit on the car hire if they can successfully claim from someone. Records suggest the 'naughty' car was insured by Groupama at the time so that is where they are making a start. I have specifically said and had them agree on 'recorded' phone calls that there is no financial risk to me whatsoever.

Over the phone they have been very good as you would suspect, but the actual paperwork for the 'loan' car arrives with the delivery driver.

So has the use of claims management companies gone well or gone wrong for any forum members with loan cars. Any advice appreciated from those in the know.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I've used one. Thought they were quite efficient; the insurers aren't out to make your life easy so a mgt co can help. MAKE SURE you are indemnified against the cost of the hire car in the event that you are not able to claim against the other party.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I used one when my 330d was stuffed by a 320d (plenty of smiles from passing motorists).

As advertised, they replaced the car for the duration of the repairs with another 330d, took no money off me at any time and recovered all costs from the other party.

However, it took 51 weeks for it all to be finally settled, only after getting to the point of taking the other guy's insurers to court. Standard stalling tactics, but there's the hassle of form filling and so on proving that you needed a car, etc, etc. That was for a straight rear end shunt in traffic with a respectable guy properly covered and admitting everything.

Given the circumstances that you describe above I'd check the small print pretty carefully. As mentioned above there is sometimes a nominal charge (£10 ish) to cover you in the event that they are unable to recover costs, otherwise you'll end up being bent over for them.

As the other party would appear to be playing silly beggars, tread carefully and keep yourself well covered.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Fucking parasites. They'll be texting you every ten minutes advising you to get your claim for whiplash in.

Bunch of cunts.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Mate, have a scan over here, this is my recent experience...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655524

I've mixed opinions now I've come out of the other end if I'm honest. On one hand, I did fuck all wrong, was inconvenienced by some daft bint who couldn't drive, so why shouldn't I have a decent car for a week. On the other hand, the way the Solicitors, Claims Management Company, kick-back for whoever referred the lead (local garage/insurance company) and hire car company all cream cash from the insurance claim, which in turn hikes-up our premiums, makes my piss boil.

It's exactly as Matt has described before. My case took about a year to complete. I was asked to provide statements to say why I needed a replacement car, why I didn't simply get a cheaper hire car for a fraction of the price then claim it back myself, why couldn't I have funded it myself (why did I use an expensive 'credit' hire company). I was asked to provide personal bank & credit card statements for 4 months from the accident to prove I couldn't have afforded it myself (they wanted business accounts too but I told them to swivvle on this). Loads of forms & statements needed checking & signing. I had a court summons however the claim was settled a week prior so no need to appear (thought I'd already kept the day free). A right fucking farce.

That said, I got my car sorted out pretty quickly & got a brand new TT for a week (not exactly like-for-like but at least it wasn't a Note). It was the following 48 weeks that was a pain in the arse.

The bill for my car was paid quickly by the other side (£2.5k) it was simply the bill for the TT they objected to (also £2.5k - for 5 days - though they claimed for 8 as I dropped it off on a Friday but the company didn't collect it from the garage until Monday - I made sure it was clear on the documents that I only had the car 5 days).

They settled out of court for nearer £1.5k. So, the other side saved £1k off the bill, but God know what the actual cost was once all the defence bills arrived.

Make sure you've got the insurance to cover your ass just in case the other side win (pretty sure it's usually bundled-in). And yes the paperwork arrives with the hire car and the chap watches over you waiting for his train as you speed read (if that) the paperwork and sign your life away. I had no idea what I was signing - niaively just went along with things.

Turned out OK in the end but was quite stressful (first insurance claim) and took an age to settle. On reflection I'd probably be happy with a 1.6i Astra for a week and concentrate on other things got 48 weeks.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I used Accident Exchange and ended up having a 335d coupe for 7 weeks. All got settled without fuss.

I would use them again in a heartbeat, but it is only really viable when the other guy is deffo in the wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

If its all about getting a decent hire car it's all a bit pointless if it turns into grief. A Micra or Clio would be just fine for the few days a car is off the road for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
They are parasites.
      08-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
On the other hand, the way the Solicitors, Claims Management Company, kick-back for whoever referred the lead (local garage/insurance company) and hire car company all cream cash from the insurance claim, which in turn hikes-up our premiums, makes my piss boil.
I used to think this way too. Then, when someone ran into the back of me (minor damage, mostly just new bumper) the at-fault parties insurer referred me onto a claims management company themselves!!!

So after that, I could see the insurer wasn't really trying to minimise their own costs, so I took on a claims management co, although not the one that the at-fault parties insurer suggested. The purpose for me of taking the claims mgt co wasn't the hire car: it was so there would be no argument about having the bumper replaced at a BMW dealer and so they could deal with the other insurer without me invloving my own insurer. Past experience with a family member told me that doing it yourself or via your own insurer means you have to wait months until you get your excess back. In the meantime you have an open claim and that affects your ability to get other insurance.

These companies do push up costs for everyone, but the insurers themselves have only got themselves to blame by making it such a PITA for ordinary punters when they have a claim.

I got a similar hire car. If I had a really expensive car, I wouldn't be bothered with a really expensive loan car, I'd just suggest a base model to keep costs reasonable. I can see why in the story above the other insurer objected to a £2,500 / £500/day hire bill. Even if it cost them more in their own costs than the £1k they saved in this particular case, chances are that claims management company will not be putting forward £500/day hire cars too often in future.

Last edited by kaishang; 08-14-2012 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I've been on the other end of one of these companies...

Some guy crashed into me whilst I was driving my dads car (under 3rd party cover). Some how my dads car came off with no damage and the other party ended up with a smashed head light and scuffed bumper. The guy was completely at fault, I informed my insurance company thought that was the end of that.

3 weeks later I get a call from my insurance company saving the guy had gone to a "claims management company" and they are demanding £2K to settle the claim (how a smashed headlight on a Corse can cost £2K is anyones guess). Luckily I took some pictures of the incident at the time, and emailed them off to my insurance company. 3 weeks after that I get a letter from my insurance company saying the matter was resolved and my no claims discount was not affected (I assume that means the claim was dismissed since I have not protected my no claims).

Whilst all this was going on my insurance company kept on sending letters to me asking me to use their own "claim management company" to make a claim against the other party even though I had NO damage on my car.... I wonder this is why our insurance goes up every year?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
If its all about getting a decent hire car it's all a bit pointless if it turns into grief. A Micra or Clio would be just fine for the few days a car is off the road for repairs.
I completely agree. I went into it blind, was recommended by the garage owner who I know, on the impression it would speed up the process and be hassle free. The hassle free thing kind of backfired as I really had no clue about the potential cost of the TT. Yes I was niaive, hadn't made a claim before let alone appointed a CMC, but certainly learnt quickly. Turned out OK in the end.

Oh, the insurance point is good, loads of people say that even a non-fault claim through your insurer pushed your own premium up, but I've since had a renewal and my premium dropped. Probably as my insurers weren't involved. I even told them at renewal about the non-fault claim and still didn't hike it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I can see why in the story above the other insurer objected to a £2,500 / £500/day hire bill. Even if it cost them more in their own costs than the £1k they saved in this particular case, chances are that claims management company will not be putting forward £500/day hire cars too often in future.
I too completely understand why the other insurer refused to pay and I say good on them. When I realised the size of the bill I felt a complete twat (if you remember the other party voluntarily left her details on my windscreen as I wasn't present so really didn't want to take the piss). Like you say, if more insurers dig their heals in it will hopefully result in more realistic invoices being issued and settled quickly.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

I used accident exchange as well, there was a lot of hassle but not on their part rather on the part of the 3rd party. My car was away for 7 weeks and to be honest why should I drive a corsa or similar for 7 weeks when I was not at fault.

I agree the costs where serious, but the 3rd party trying not to pay out added to this cost but when it went to court the judge award everything to my side and they had to pay up in the end.

I would use them again.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Just don't fucking complain when yer next insurance renewal gives you indigestion!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Just don't fucking complain when yer next insurance renewal gives you indigestion!
Mate, I used to think exactly the same right up to the point where I started getting phone calls from an accident management co. that the at-fault driver's insurance company had given my details to.
Appreciate 0